shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Cellphones In Cars = Banned

Postby jo on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:58pm

Probably the ACC levy is a big part of the cost of motorcycles. And the cause of signs like this...
25072009028.jpg
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:59pm

iodi wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:nope, it's been proven that talking on the phone is far moar distracting then texting

Yeah, right. Texting is much higher risk than talking on a phone. For example, note the texting risk in this recent study:

only texting results for driving a heavy vehicle too, none for just a car?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby iodi on Thu 13/Aug/09 5:10pm

shmoodiver wrote:only texting results for driving a heavy vehicle too, none for just a car?

Not in that particular study, but I've seen others that showed similar results. When texting, people tend to look away from the road for longer than almost any other activity and texting also requires manual dexterity that detracts from control of the vehicle - hence the high risk.

In any case, while I support the ban on using mobile phones while driving, it is a populist political thing to do. The risk while talking on a mobile phone is about the same as - and in some studies lower than - the risk of talking to someone in the car. Perhaps we should ban talking to the driver, too?
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Thu 13/Aug/09 5:16pm

iodi wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:only texting results for driving a heavy vehicle too, none for just a car?

Not in that particular study, but I've seen others that showed similar results. When texting, people tend to look away from the road for longer than almost any other activity and texting also requires manual dexterity that detracts from control of the vehicle - hence the high risk.

In any case, while I support the ban on using mobile phones while driving, it is a populist political thing to do. The risk while talking on a mobile phone is about the same as - and in some studies lower than - the risk of talking to someone in the car. Perhaps we should ban talking to the driver, too?

ban stereos while you are at it... those damn dj's spouting annoying twaddle are enough to make me drive off the road!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 13/Aug/09 5:27pm

iodi wrote:

yeah i watched a doco not long ago that said talking was a bigger distraction due to the talker not being able to see the goings on inside the car blah blah blah, but do you think i can find anything to back it up now
shmoodiver

Postby mfw on Thu 13/Aug/09 5:45pm

Banned :thumbsup:
NZ has finally caught up with the rest of the western world...
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Spyder on Thu 13/Aug/09 5:50pm

It's a start, and if it makes texting less prevalent, then it's good. The main issue even with a handsfree kit is that you're distracted and as shmoo mentions it's the fact that the person talking to you can't see what is happening in your driving environment. I suspect that the horse has well and truly bolted wrt banning cellphones completely, but this is a positive move.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Thu 13/Aug/09 6:10pm

mfw wrote:Banned :thumbsup:

I wouldn't go that far.

Need to sort out that stupid give way when turning left rule first.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby iodi on Thu 13/Aug/09 6:15pm

shmoodiver wrote:yeah i watched a doco not long ago that said talking was a bigger distraction due to the talker not being able to see the goings on inside the car blah blah blah, but do you think i can find anything to back it up now

Wikipedia has a useful page on Mobile phones and driving safety. Amongst other things, it points out that "The consistency of increased crash risk between hands-free and hand held cell phone use is at odds with legislation in many locations that prohibits hand held cell phone use but allows hands-free." ie. NZ will join the list of countries that ban hand-held calls but allow hands-free calls, even though the evidence clearly shows that hands-free is of no benefit relative to holding the phone in your hand.

The press release mentions an exemption for emergency calls - I wonder if that covers calls to the Police Traffic Issues *555 for reporting idiots/hazards on the road?
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Chickenman on Thu 13/Aug/09 6:20pm

j2hyde wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

:withstupid:
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 13/Aug/09 6:29pm

j2hyde wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

I've started a campaign of civil disobedience about that. I just drive as if the Lor was sensible. So I turn first and devil take the hindmost.

also I turn left on red lights as well if its safe.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby radiusq on Thu 13/Aug/09 6:31pm

j2hyde wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

I was driving in NZ for about 3months before someone told me about that rule. Man, I thought New Zealand drivers were cocks. As far as I was concerned there were a lot of f*ckers out there who were trying to cut me off for no good reason.

It's a stupid rule, more so because it doesn't exist anywhere else (as far as I'm aware). Everyone seems confused by it too, not just fresh off the boat brits.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Monolith on Thu 13/Aug/09 7:17pm

Good.

Cellphones are for yuppies.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 13/Aug/09 7:33pm

Monolith wrote:Good.

Cellphones are for yuppies.

what yer number?
shmoodiver

Cars | Motoring | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts