Re: Cateye Moonride

Postby Focker on Mon 10/May/10 11:57am

RussS wrote:Have just been told by our gun rider in that class that the 12hr solo times have been evaluated and 4th place was really 2nd with 7th place moving to 3rd. That kind of matches up with some of my calculations and timing of the 2 guys running behind him all day.

Gun...? :blush:

Yeah good day and great support out there (thanks everyone and fellow vorbers :thumbsup: ) doing my first solo - more patience on the race line shown also towards us slower solo's (although the odd person thought I was going to fast for a solo...yeah right), thanks to the real guns like Cabin, Mikey etc who should run a course for some of the pretenders out there on how to, when to and why to pass...(no point passing on the road if 5 seconds later you hold everyone up in the singletrack eh!).
Good vibes all round I thought, quite a positive experiance doing solo and more enjoybale than I thought it would be... :p . With the course a bit longer than previous years (8.5 km for the 12 hour?) there was from my point of view a lot less congestion etc. Great work from the track crew out there keeping the trouble spots, trouble free. Conditions as Muzza said, were perfect.

I also now realise how hard and mad the 24 hour solo's are! :crazy: Who saw the Scollay siblings doing the 24hr "solo" on their cool tandem Ellsworth fully? Now that's a good test of a brother and sister relationship....Frodo you defintely are ticking all the boxes for your Il Treno Dolore application form :love:

Gotta say thanks to Russ and team for the great atmosphere and tent set up at the HMTBC site (not that I was there much) and congrats to all the Hammers team's who did well. As far as the Pain Train go, only myself and Gorse fronted up for solo and put ourselves in the pain cave :crazy: and the girls plus Digi sifted well in the 6 hour Pain Train Dames team.

Results wise, I was disappointed to hear I'd put myself in the pain cave for only 4th? (when I was in 2nd all day from about lap 4 onwards.... I just needed to be gifted some 5 minute laps times to stay there :rolleyes: :lol: ). No biggie, if I'd been beaten by a French drug cheat like Frishi was at the world champs, then that would be a different story :paranoid: He got his medal in the end though :thumbsup:

Unofficially Uno Fockerati Team Manager "Poz" Sasky, had Ben 1st, Me 2nd and Julian Trinder 3rd.....
Muzza has emailed me today and apologised for the timing and incorrect results F%&# up and will sort it out (mainly affected the 12 hour solo for some reason), so looks like Lynsky you will be 4th afterall and the above unofficial results should be official :thumbsup: At least the correct winner Ben, got on the podium for a well deserved 1st place :thumbsup:
Focker
"Watching you watching me..."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby honeymonster on Mon 10/May/10 11:59am

[quote="www24hr"][quote="ArjanH"][quote="shmoodiver"]saw you on the course vert, good work dude... came across a guy on a 29er ss full rigid doing 24 solo.... madness, sat in behind him and had a chat for a bit cause he was hurtin, hopefully picked him up a touch.[/quote]
Yeah saw and chatted with him too .... don't think he rode the same bike the whole race though because I only noticed him a few times.[/quote]
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ako5LmTaCGQ/S-ZLM3lHr1I/AAAAAAAAhKk/NZRP6s7bnHo/s576/IMG_2280.JPG[/img]
If you where talking about this guy? he rode the same bike the whole race to 3rd place male Solo :thumbsup:[/quote]

If I was hurting it would have been around 5-6pm. My stomach shut down (legacy of a stomach bug last week and a race that was all speed - not so good for a big thumping engine) and I was in a very very bad place. Disappointed I couldn't make the last couple of hours, but very happy with form and pace up to then, particularly giving away a minute or two each lap cruising a SS on all that fire road. Big congratulations to Barryn with a storming 24 solo win. No matter how hard I pushed during the day I couldn't eat into his lead. Top pace from him right to the end. And well done to all the 24 solos - top effort. It is damn hard at the Moonride, not set up for solos at all - too many 6/12hr racers coming through at pace on a very short and crowded course.

And thanks to all who shouted encouragement along the way, particularly the girl who noticed how smoothly I was riding (thats the finest thing you could say). Sorry to anyone who got the wrath of a tired and ratty guy later on (apart from the Night Lights racer who overtook at high speed going into the big berm - he deserved all I could shout at him). And particularly sorry to the girl I tried to pass and failed miserably - all my fault and I took the fall (and subsequent cramp!).

Final thanks to Jim for being a wonderful pit crew, and to Dean for helping out when things got messy.

Bring on Canberra in October (and the Wainui 6hr in a couple of weeks of course).

Paul.
honeymonster
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby RussS on Mon 10/May/10 12:47pm

bluedogSS wrote:Next time you see the guys, say thanks, eh? Most of them come from backgrounds where thanks is probably a foreign concept.
They're pretty proud of the work, especially carvings and so on, and they are now queuing to work on Red's crews.
Do the crime, do the time, of course. But all power to their elbows...

I made a point of thanking them that day. We are developing a relationship with the local PD centre and I know how much some simple words mean to those guys & girls.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby bluedogSS on Mon 10/May/10 12:55pm

Nice 1, Russ!!
bluedogSS
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 10/May/10 1:43pm

Frishi is Swiss not French, and widely regarded as a clean rider. Not sure why you would slur him in that fashion, but good work on your ride Focker.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Lynskey on Mon 10/May/10 1:52pm

12hr solo was an adventure for sure. Certainly allowed me to garner a whole new respect for 24hr solo riders. Madness! I'm also enormously grateful for anyone who said "Go solo!" throughout the race and to Mono for throwing support my way too. It all helps :thumbsup:

I've drawn up a wee ditty on my race experience for those who're interested. Give the below a clicky click.

=}
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby bluedogSS on Mon 10/May/10 2:01pm

2nd that about Frischi, Oli.
One of the friendliest old-school pros on the circuit and very approachable. Can't remember where he finished in a very wet race in World in Les Gets back in 2004 but he did a big face-plant slide over the finish line to celebrate. Stood up covered in mud with a big grin on his face.
bluedogSS
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby nagem on Mon 10/May/10 2:05pm

That's awesome Lynskey. Well done. :D

And...

Lol... poor Felix!!! Or not. Woah!!

Your writing is most excellent.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Mon 10/May/10 2:11pm

bluedogSS wrote:2nd that about Frischi, Oli.
One of the friendliest old-school pros on the circuit and very approachable. Can't remember where he finished in a very wet race in World in Les Gets back in 2004 but he did a big face-plant slide over the finish line to celebrate. Stood up covered in mud with a big grin on his face.

Methinks Focker is getting Frischi mixed up with Filip Meirhaeghe (gosh do I remember when that story broke!)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 10/May/10 2:19pm

Lynskey wrote:12hr solo was an adventure for sure. Certainly allowed me to garner a whole new respect for 24hr solo riders. Madness! I'm also enormously grateful for anyone who said "Go solo!" throughout the race and to Mono for throwing support my way too. It all helps :thumbsup:

I've drawn up a wee ditty on my race experience for those who're interested. Give the below a clicky click.

=}

good work that man :thumbsup:

FYI never mind the 12hr being comparable to a 180km road ride, I rate it as being much tougher mentally and at least on a par physically to ironman.

fancy joining up with me, Mr Bob and Datsane at the DNT for more 12hour solo madness? I'll be SSing that race ( :paranoid: ) again after a few lessons learned last year.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby nagem on Mon 10/May/10 2:27pm

nagem

Postby psychavoc on Mon 10/May/10 2:29pm

Obviously someone who didn't appreciate that three of the top 6 solo 24hr riders were female (no mention of them at all! :hmmm:)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby scatter on Mon 10/May/10 2:31pm

Team Balance Elite/CabinRacing (Me , Scott Thorne, Brendan Sharrett, and Dave Sharpe)

Cabin?
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 10/May/10 2:33pm

slidecontrol wrote:
Lynskey wrote:12hr solo was an adventure for sure. Certainly allowed me to garner a whole new respect for 24hr solo riders. Madness! I'm also enormously grateful for anyone who said "Go solo!" throughout the race and to Mono for throwing support my way too. It all helps :thumbsup:

=}

good work that man :thumbsup:

FYI never mind the 12hr being comparable to a 180km road ride, I rate it as being much tougher mentally and at least on a par physically to ironman.

fancy joining up with me, Mr Bob and Datsane at the DNT for more 12hour solo madness? I'll be SSing that race ( :paranoid: ) again after a few lessons learned last year.

not ready for 12 hrs of hurt just yet but i will be hitting that course for 6 hr solo ss styles i thinks
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby nagem on Mon 10/May/10 2:34pm

scatter wrote:
Team Balance Elite/CabinRacing (Me , Scott Thorne, Brendan Sharrett, and Dave Sharpe)

Cabin?

To add a bit of light heartedness to what seemed a bit of a serious start, I busted out my beige skinsuit for the first lap, and managed to crack out the fastest lap of the day (maybe forced into it by potential embaressment?!)," admitted Leishman.

Would he really write about himself in the third person?
nagem

Cycling | Featured Events | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts