Casual Tramp - Is This Feasible For A Newb?

Postby supernovah on Tue 14th Feb 2:12pm

Hi there guys,

Looking at doing this hike with a mate in a day and a day back afterwards. The lead up to the hike is a 145km bike from Auckland to Te Puru so from that you should gather I'm fairly fit.

The hike is 25km +1950m -1950m with max gradients around +50% and -30%.

Anything I should know before attempting it? We thought we should be able to tell if we were feeling as though we might not make it to the Pinnacles in the day by the 10km mark which is Crosbies Hut.

Here's the elevation profile of the first leg before the road which joins to the Webb Creek to Pinnacles route we'll be taking.

Just wondering as I've never hiked before in my life, if there's anything unreasonable about it? At 3 kph it's only an 8 hour hike and that seems quite slow as we're extremely fit.

In terms of gear we'll just be taking a bag each with 5-10kg of extras each, so assuming the weather's good - no problems yea?
supernovah
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Casual Tramp - Is This Feasible For A Newb?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 14th Feb 5:21pm

supernovah wrote:
In terms of gear we'll just be taking a bag each with 5-10kg of extras each, so assuming the weather's good - no problems yea?

I don't know the area, but this is the assumption that generally kills trampers in NZ.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 14th Feb 5:22pm

Oh, and 25km can be a pretty big days walk depending on the terrain.
Velocipedestrian

Postby comadi on Tue 14th Feb 9:23pm

supernovah wrote:Hi there guys,

Looking at doing this hike with a mate in a day and a day back afterwards. The lead up to the hike is a 145km bike from Auckland to Te Puru so from that you should gather I'm fairly fit.

Anything I should know before attempting it? We thought we should be able to tell if we were feeling as though we might not make it to the Pinnacles in the day by the 10km mark which is Crosbies Hut.

Just wondering as I've never hiked before in my life, if there's anything unreasonable about it? At 3 kph it's only an 8 hour hike and that seems quite slow as we're extremely fit.

So you are extremely fit, but you have never hiked before in your life. That's a bit like saying Roger Federer or Ussain Bolt is extremley fit, and would whip my arse at Tennis or sprinting, but I think I'd whip both their arses on a 100 k road ride.

Having hunted extensively on the Coromandel Peninsula (further north from there) and spent many a 12 hr days chasing wild pigs I can tell you that place is as rough as guts.
Whilst you 'may' do it in a dawdle I'd seriously consider some lead in tramps.
comadi
Member for: 1 year 1 month

Postby AgrAde on Tue 14th Feb 10:13pm

If you've never hiked before in your life then you don't even know if your tramping boots will kill your feet. Walking also uses different muscles so biking fitness, although very helpful, isn't a guarantee that you can do a decent days walk - I'm a good example: I can bike all day but tramping gave me endless knee issues that took me years to solve. There's no way that you should be doing that walk without either a tent or an emergency shelter (it doesn't sound like you've planned on taking one). Do you have a PLB?
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby 13daza on Tue 14th Feb 11:43pm

I have walked the webb creek part of this track many many times over the years and done a lot of tramping and rock climbing around there as well I have not been there for a few years now but im picking its still mostly the same.
Most people of good fitness would take 3-4 hrs to walk from the Wainora campsite at the road-end to the hut at a comfortable pace including a few rest/scenic stops, there is a very steep climb on the Webb creek track of about two hundred meters altitude(it used to be up a flight of 30 cm high x 30 cm deep stone cut steps which was the old mule track to supply the loggers and gum diggers) you will get sore legs ;) , it is uphill from the road end to the hut bar a couple of ridges ,on the upside the hut is pretty much a palace and used to have a barbie (my mates and I used to carry in beers steaks,sausages and a slab of bacon (for breakfast) to piss off the "serious " trampers) the hut can be very busy and you need to book ahead
make sure you take the time to climb the pinnacles if the track to do so is still there the view is remarkable the lookout at the top is a ledge over a 150 odd meter cliff although im sure someone has either closed it or put a safety rail there by now.
As Comadi said don't underestimate how rugged the terrain is in there the tracks are not at all like walking on a footpath they are steep and can be rough going,from personal experience it can go from tropical to your balls freezing off cold in about half an hour (one year early in march I had to wait for the ice on the track from the hut to the pinnacles to melt in the morning so I could climb up the rocks without breaking my neck)
I would also suggest a few solid walks around the waitakeres to break in your new tramping boots (you will need these) you do not want to be four hours in the bush with bad blisters (think walking on glass for a day) this will also help with conditioning yourself as well, you should carry a heavyish pack as well so your shoulders legs and back get used to it .
I would plan a trip based on DOCs advised track times at the best you will get there early at worst you should be o.k for daylight and not getting caught out Doc go to a bit of effort to advise times based on what an average person can do .You should carry what you need plus enough to cover for worst case as well, you need to be able to look after yourself with shelter, food and warmth without a hut in case something goes wrong, you will also need extra dry clothes especially socks I would not be surprised if you couldnt get that under 15 kgs for a solid two day tramp (the mountain safety council has some excellent guidelines for this stuff you should check it out and I would strongly recommend following their advice) .
FYI I too can ride 145 km at a reasonable pace but having not done any tramping for a few years I would be very wary of attempting a 25 km tramp over this terrain in a day with little or no lead up to it ,a little strain or sprain or even blisters a few hours in the bush can turn into a big ass problem ,those search and rescue guys will be polite but put out at having to carry an under prepared bod out of the bush
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby RJD on Wed 15th Feb 9:09am

Getting used to a pack is well worth it, stuff 10kgs into your backpack go out for some hill walks.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 15th Feb 9:56am

Anyway, welcome to Vorb. Home of scathing but useful advice.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Wed 15th Feb 10:50am

Some really good advice above. As has been said - bike fitness doesn't easily translate to hiking. You have totally different forces acting on your joints, much more chance of rolling an ankle, blisters etc. I'm a lot more broken after a few hours hiking than after a full day on the bike (riding, as opposed to hike-a-bike epics). Also - even if day one goes perfectly, you're going to be pretty sore the next day and the way back is going to hurt. Lots. I'd really strongly suggest some test hikes with all the gear that you plan to take (and I'm ass-uming you'll know how to use all your emergency gear) - and back to back days. I know it sounds like I'm raining on your parade - but too many people take our outdoors for granted and underestimate it's potential to kill... I'd hate you to be another statistic,
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby barcode on Wed 15th Feb 12:33pm

You need to do some half-day walks before you consider anything that you couldn't hobble out of. Test your gear, break in your boots.

Go with someone experienced, pack more food than you need, carry a bivvy bag at minimum and hire a PLB.

Expect unseasonable weather, be prepared to turn around/camp by river crossings if they are unsafe.
barcode
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby supernovah on Wed 15th Feb 1:39pm

If it counts for anything for about 6 years I walked at least 15k every day around Auckland before I took up cycling and my friend is a runner.

But I guess we'll be prepared to turn or stop at any point then.

Thanks for the advice.

We've got a PLB too.
supernovah
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby philstar on Thu 16th Feb 11:49pm

supernovah wrote:If it counts for anything for about 6 years I walked at least 15k every day around Auckland before I took up cycling and my friend is a runner.

Thanks for the advice.

We've got a PLB too.

the problem being that you do not normally know to stop until it is too late. I would estimate an 11 hour day for that trip 3kph or 300m climb or decent per hour
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Thu 16th Feb 11:49pm

supernovah wrote:If it counts for anything for about 6 years I walked at least 15k every day around Auckland before I took up cycling and my friend is a runner.

Thanks for the advice.

We've got a PLB too.

the problem being that you do not normally know to stop until it is too late. I would estimate an 11 hour day for that trip 3kph or 300m climb or decent per hour
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby matnz on Fri 17th Feb 10:14am

Sounds like you are doing it regardless of the advise to have asked for....

Moving for 10 hours over rough ground is very very different to being a super fit runner or cyclist. Running the streets does not strengthen the stabiliser muscles or train the brain to handle slippery roots or rocks that roll under your foot. You will be trying to (and capable of) moving fast over the rough ground, meaning those stabiliser muscles will tie, probably very quickly, and you will likely loose the level of concentration needed and put a foot where a foot should not be put. At the end of a the day you will be mentally as well as physically exhausted.

Be prepared to turn back to Crosbies Hut, don't leave Crosbies committed to making it to Pinnicles, There's no shame in turning back (well, less shame than poping that PLB and having the media report the advice you have been given in this thread).

Good luck.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Fri 17th Feb 12:14pm

Yeah but how's your walking fitness TODAY?
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Sifting | Tramping - Latest Posts