Re: Casual Tramp - Is This Feasible For A Newb?

Postby Derryn Hinch on Sat 18th Feb 8:55pm

In all likelyhood you'll be fine, but as other have subtly hinted above you should be well equiped and know how to navigate in the bush. The Coromandels are fine on track but very rugged off track (lots of bluffs and thick bush).

Another thing to note is that the 1st half of that tramp is on ridges so there will be no water, especially this time of year.

The best way to learn is from experienced people - JOIN A CLUB
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby supernovah on Mon 27th Feb 11:25am

So we did it and it was pretty easy for a first trail. Turns out my friend had done some of the trails before (including Moss Creek).

Where the trail becomes rock (at the pinnacles climb) it definitely hurts your feet but the bush was pretty nice besides almost none of it being flat.

The mud was definitely annoying and I'd probably do it in some waterproof shoes next time.

I think it took us from 7:30am to 6pm to go from the Pinnacles to Te Puru with lunch and a 1 hour nap at Crosbies on the way back which was roughly 35km on my GPS.

I was not keen on cycling another 160km to get home after all that but still, managed it and was pretty damned stoked.

And I was not prepared for the awesomeness of the pinnacles at night. God damn that place is stunning. Saw a goat lol, and lots of evidence of pigs nearer Te Puru. There's also some really sizable Kauri nearer to Te Puru which I didn't see any of closer to Booms/the road accessed area.
supernovah
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 27th Feb 5:09pm

Did this actually happen or is it hypothetical?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Spagllegs on Mon 27th Feb 6:54pm

My brain wonders if it happened....
Spagllegs
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby supernovah on Mon 27th Feb 8:14pm

What do you mean?

Yes it happened lol

http://imgur.com/a/pcQja Here's some pics.
supernovah
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Sifting | Tramping - Latest Posts