Carlton Restoration/curiosity

Postby Courtneybh on Fri 29/Oct/10 3:08pm

So I've been reading up on Carlton bikes and have gathered that the X stamped on the bottom of the frame dates it back to 1935, It's a custom lugged, perhaps aluminum steel frame hand crafted in England. I can't find much else, value wise, where more of them are?? ANY additional info would be awesome!

I found the bike in an apt basement spray painted and "trashed" with no real damage to the frame, handlebars or rims of the bike :) I got it down to bare metal and completely repainted the bike! I'm trying to find time to reassemble it and can't wait to ride. Enjoy the pics hope someone's got some info for me :)
IMG_8978.JPG
IMG_8984.JPG
IMG_8985.JPG
Head of the seat tube
IMG_8990.JPG
Front forks
IMG_9004.JPG
Top of the head tube
Courtneybh
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Carlton Restoration/curiosity

Postby nagem on Fri 29/Oct/10 4:11pm

Oooohhhh... pretty colours. What are you planning to rebuild it as? Road biek? Fixed gear? Single Speed?

You can get reproduction water transfers from here http://www.hlloydcycles.com/pdflistlatest.pdf

I have got some for my claud butler and they are most excellent to deal with and cheaper than vinyl from the signwriters.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 29/Oct/10 4:46pm

It looks awesome...like the detail of lugs and seat stays.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 29/Oct/10 5:13pm

aluminium steel huh? cooooool thats some pretty rare shit :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

but yes, very nice lugwork.
Last edited by swtchbckr on Fri 29/Oct/10 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 29/Oct/10 5:21pm

nagem wrote:Oooohhhh... pretty colours. What are you planning to rebuild it as? Road biek? Fixed gear? Single Speed?

You can get reproduction water transfers from here http://www.hlloydcycles.com/pdflistlatest.pdf

I have got some for my claud butler and they are most excellent to deal with and cheaper than vinyl from the signwriters.

Beautiful paint job and cool lugwork :thumbsup:
Re decals – he / you (thread starter) would’ve put them on before putting the clearcoat on if he was going to.
It’d be great to see an age appropriate headbadge on it too :)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Courtneybh on Fri 29/Oct/10 7:04pm

Yes! I have the headbadge and it looks great with the blue of the bike : ) I'll put up another post with pics a soon as the rebuild is complete, I'm also thinking of spraying the spokes pink to match the handlebar grip!
Courtneybh
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby nagem on Fri 29/Oct/10 7:12pm

moarpixplskthxbi.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 30/Oct/10 6:40am

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/lugwork-p.htm
shows those lugs as the Crespera set, 1967-74.

Miyata did manage to get robots to do brazing in the 80s but I don't know if anyone else took it up. Maybe Peugeot did too, but in 1986 their good frames at least were labeled "Brase a la main", "main" being hand. I suspect most companies continued brazing by hand.

You have a mount for a centrepull rear brake. Both brakes will have much longer reach than modern brakes, and the rear may be longer than the front. Measure reach from the centre of the brake bridge to the centre of the rim. Note you need external nutted brakes, not the modern ones with internal tube nuts.
If you use 700 wheel you will need an extra 4mm of brake reach too, and the braking will be weaker.
PM me if you need brakes. I have some Hidiminium sidepulls and some nice Weinmann Vainquer 999 centrepulls.

The rear fork spacing will be less than modern bikes (6/7 speeds are 126mm) so a wheel from a 10 speed will fit the rear. If you want to upgrade to 6/7 speed or to 8/9/10/11 speed the rear fork can be respaced - one of your LBS may be able to do this.

If you want to cheat and avoid steel wheels you can find good Raleigh aluminium rimmed 27" 10 speed wheels on a Morrison Monark from the early 1980s. Spokes will be galvonium.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 30/Oct/10 10:22am

Simonius_Titius wrote:http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/lugwork-p.htm
shows those lugs as the Crespera set, 1967-74.

Miyata did manage to get robots to do brazing in the 80s but I don't know if anyone else took it up. Maybe Peugeot did too, but in 1986 their good frames at least were labeled "Brase a la main", "main" being hand. I suspect most companies continued brazing by hand.

You have a mount for a centrepull rear brake. Both brakes will have much longer reach than modern brakes, and the rear may be longer than the front. Measure reach from the centre of the brake bridge to the centre of the rim. Note you need external nutted brakes, not the modern ones with internal tube nuts.
If you use 700 wheel you will need an extra 4mm of brake reach too, and the braking will be weaker.
PM me if you need brakes. I have some Hidiminium sidepulls and some nice Weinmann Vainquer 999 centrepulls.

The rear fork spacing will be less than modern bikes (6/7 speeds are 126mm) so a wheel from a 10 speed will fit the rear. If you want to upgrade to 6/7 speed or to 8/9/10/11 speed the rear fork can be respaced - one of your LBS may be able to do this.

If you want to cheat and avoid steel wheels you can find good Raleigh aluminium rimmed 27" 10 speed wheels on a Morrison Monark from the early 1980s. Spokes will be galvonium.

You’ve got really good information there but thanks to the link you posted I’ve just spent the last 20 mins looking at classic Carltons….without finding a pic or any mention of the Rapide model I used to own. It was my first decent roadrace bike.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby theboss on Wed 16/Feb/11 9:04pm

here's my Carlton for what it's worth...a bit of a mixed bag of parts but i think it looks good..! bought the frame off trade-me and built the rest up from parts off ebay etc.
168407_10150128430298454_741228453_7729294_6973251_n.jpg
theboss
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Wed 16/Feb/11 9:51pm

That is stunning! Are they Campag Victory cranks, derailleurs and brakes?
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby theboss on Wed 16/Feb/11 10:14pm

Oli wrote:That is stunning! Are they Campag Victory cranks, derailleurs and brakes?

Thanks Oli

Yes Victory cranks - not sure on the levers I bought them seperately but they are campag. Brakes are Shimano Tourney i think - the only long reach ones i could get my hands on at the time of the build. eventually i'd like to replace them with some nice centre-pulls.
theboss
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 16/Feb/11 10:18pm

theboss wrote:here's my Carlton for what it's worth...a bit of a mixed bag of parts but i think it looks good..! bought the frame off trade-me and built the rest up from parts off ebay etc.

why?
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Oli on Wed 16/Feb/11 10:19pm

Most of those would have been sold with Weinmann long-reach centrepulls, so good work on sussing out the Tourneys.
Oli

Postby Oli on Wed 16/Feb/11 10:20pm

Mickyfinn, you're a waste of space. :hmmm:
Oli

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts