Be Careful Around Jubilee Park (dunedin) At Night!

Postby psychavoc on Wed 8/Jul/09 10:25am

Police hunt man who slashed female jogger

Dunedin police are on the hunt for a man who attacked a female jogger and slashed her face with a broken bottle.

The 18-year-old student was jogging through Jubilee Park at 11.30pm on Monday night when she fell or was tripped by her attacker, the Otago Daily Times reported.

The man assaulted her and attempted to rip off her shorts, Detective Dave Checketts of Dunedin police said.

She fought him off and he cut her face with a broken bottle. He eventually ran off.

The man, described as Caucasian, in his mid to late 20s, with short dark hair, was wearing a dark-coloured nylon windbreaker and possibly jeans.

The woman had a deep wound to her forearm and required stitches to cuts to her forehead and cheeks, Mr Checketts said.

"It was pretty ugly. This was no run-of-the-mill assault," he said.

From: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2 ... ale-jogger
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Be Careful Around Jubilee Park (dunedin) At Night!

Postby Jcuming on Wed 8/Jul/09 1:05pm

Sad for supposedly (semi)safe Dunedin.

She had some guts to be regularly running around that area alone at 11.30pm....
There would be few that would.
Jcuming
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby psychavoc on Thu 9/Jul/09 9:31am

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/64634 ... r-released

More details of jogger's attacker released

A further description of the man who police say attacked a late-night jogger in Dunedin has been released in the hope it will result in more information from the public.

Dunedin police yesterday said they had little response to a plea for information about the attack or sightings of the attacker or his victim.

An 18-year-old woman was jogging through Jubilee Park about 11.30pm on Monday when she was attacked about halfway along a lit track running between Canongate and Maori Rd.

She had passed the alleged attacker some minutes before as she went down some steps leading from Canongate to Serpentine Ave.

When she returned and jogged along the track towards Maori Rd she was attacked with a broken bottle, receiving cuts to her forehead, cheeks, hand and arm, for which she needed stitches.

The man gave up his attack and ran off in the direction of Maori Rd when a dog started barking, Detective Constable Rebecca Hill said yesterday.

"This was a particularly serious attack and we are keen to catch the offender."

The area was frequently used by joggers and people walking their dogs and it was possible the dog belonged to someone living nearby or was being walked nearby.

Police said they would like to hear from anyone with any information or who had seen people in the area between 11pm and midnight on Monday.

The man is described as Caucasian, aged 25-30 and about 170 to 175cm tall.

He is of a medium to heavy build, with short, unevenly cut hair, an unshaven face with stubble and a prominent forehead.

He was wearing jeans and a dark-coloured light rain-jacket, with a pocket and a distinctive zip on the front.

Police were also keen to talk to anyone who saw the jogger, who was wearing two-tone Canterbury running shorts, black running tights and a black singlet.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Det Const Hill at the Dunedin Central Police Station on 471-4800.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby nagem on Thu 9/Jul/09 9:41am

It disturbs me that she was jogging alone through a park at 11.30 at night.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Postby neels on Thu 9/Jul/09 9:44am

She's brave to be out jogging at 11:30pm in Dunedin in the middle of winter. That's dedication.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Thu 9/Jul/09 9:44am

nagem wrote:It disturbs me that she was jogging alone through a park at 11.30 at night.

:withstupid:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby nagem on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:21am

Sure....she SHOULD be able to job through a park at 11.30 at night...but REALLY?

I am in no way whatsoever condoning the actions of the nutso that attacked her.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:26am

Seems an odd time - but then there are people who can only get out at certain times of the day/night. Some parents with young kids can only get out when their partner/flattie/whatever is home to keep an eye on the kids... others do shift work or have partners who do shift work. I ride my bike home from work most Wednesday nights and often don't get home until 10.00 - which seems odd to some people, but in general it's quiet and enjoyable.

Just sucks that it's not safe to go out at whatever time suits :(
Scaredy_Cat
User avatarMedal
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Thu 9/Jul/09 10:42am

nagem wrote:Sure....she SHOULD be able to job through a park at 11.30 at night...but REALLY?

I am in no way whatsoever condoning the actions of the nutso that attacked her.

Scaredy_Cat wrote:Seems an odd time - but then there are people who can only get out at certain times of the day/night. Some parents with young kids can only get out when their partner/flattie/whatever is home to keep an eye on the kids... others do shift work or have partners who do shift work. I ride my bike home from work most Wednesday nights and often don't get home until 10.00 - which seems odd to some people, but in general it's quiet and enjoyable.

Just sucks that it's not safe to go out at whatever time suits :(

Ya, I'm with you stupids in these respects too :huh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby toominator on Mon 13/Jul/09 7:57pm

I don't think I'd go for a run through jubilee at 11:30pm by myself....

sucks that she got attacked. hope they catch up with the munter. I guess it goes to show there is a reason you don't go through those places alone at night. especailly if you have boobs.

dunedin hasn't been doing very well in the news recently, what with the ODHB fraud case, bain, weatherston and now this and that poor guy that feel into the harbour on the way home and drowned
toominator
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 15/Jul/09 2:02pm

neels wrote:She's brave to be out jogging at 11:30pm in Dunedin in the middle of winter. That's dedication.

Its dedication from the atacker to be hiding in a bush at 11.30pm of the off chance some one would come along!
RHR_Rob
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cycling | Dunedin | Jogging | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Regions | Running | Trail Running - Latest Posts