Re: Career Choices

Postby DropKick on Sat 1/Aug/09 10:35am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2wnOU3 ... re=related

Just pick stuff that interests you. I dont use sfa of anything I learnt at highschool. Not even first year uni. Somethings will be a help and make there be a little less work for you to have to learn new things, but you're not gonna be excluded from things cos of what subjects you chose in 5th form...
Much more important is the ability to keep ones shit together. Going from school to uni is quite interesting, you see who has their shit together/focussed, and who was only really doing great in school because they were spoon fed. eg i was never that great at school, only in 2nd stream class for brains. but once I got to uni I was doing something that interests me/i enjoy and now I'm doing pretty well for myself (if we exclude the fact I'm an arrogant wanker), and a lot of the guys that were dominating highschool went off the rails as soon as they left the nest since they didnt have someone to keep them on the straight and narrow. (interestingly theres 3 people from my highschool in my class at medschool, none of us were in the 1st stream).

Just enjoy interesting things in highschool. Cos one day you'll actually have to learn stuff that matters (just dont fail things at school)
Last edited by DropKick on Sat 1/Aug/09 10:50am, edited 1 time in total.
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby KieranC on Sat 1/Aug/09 10:35am

you've still got heaps of time to think about your career. do subjects that interest you, don't anoy your teachers too much, change subjects if they aren't working for you and have fun. School's a blast, make the most of it while you're there because you only get one shot at it :thumbsup:
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby phunk on Sat 1/Aug/09 10:58am

Do economics, it should actually be compulsory...
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Chanting on Sat 1/Aug/09 11:08am

As others have said. Take what you enjoy, but stick with a maths and a science into 7th form, and ideally english, but if you despise it, drop it. What you take through high school dosnt dictate what you do in uni, In 7th form I took, stats, physics, PE, graphics and hard materials. Now im doing a pe teaching degree.

Just whatever you take, work hard, it puts you into good habbits for uni, dont be one of those kids that a teacher has to treaten to work. Also be good to your teachers, it often means that theyll cut you some slack on certian things and are more likely to go out of their way to help you.
Chanting

Postby KieranC on Sat 1/Aug/09 11:18am

phunk wrote:Do economics, it should actually be compulsory...

:thumbsup: along with geography and science.

if you can recite dictionary meanings you will be able to fly through economics, otherwise you have to rely on very good reasoning to pass :) .
KieranC

Postby Oli on Sat 1/Aug/09 11:35am

Chanting wrote: and ideally english, but if you despise it, drop it.

*snip* habbits *snip* certian

;)
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Chanting on Sat 1/Aug/09 11:54am

Oli wrote:
Chanting wrote: and ideally english, but if you despise it, drop it.

*snip* habbits *snip* certian

;)

:p Haha well if those are the only spelling mistakes that I made then Im impressed with myself. Im a shocking speller, always have been. If I had taken english through to 7th form (I dropped it after 6th) it wouldnt have changed a thing. I can write uni essays that are marked in the B's and A's so thats good enough for me.
Chanting

Postby Oli on Sat 1/Aug/09 12:11pm

:D Good stuff! I'm just winding - I know there's little to no correlation between spelling and intelligence.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Sat 1/Aug/09 1:05pm

whatever you do, don't fuck around in year 12. if you don't get the prerequisites for year 13, you'll be in strife
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Education | Sifting - Latest Posts