Postby Fraser on Fri 17/Apr/09 5:07am

:sleeping:
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Carbon Credit, What A Load Of Bollocks

Postby j2hyde on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:05am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
j2hyde wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:Facts before rhetoric please.

:lol: So, how's the carbon mitigation business going for you anyway? Saved the planet yet?

Just like you to smudge the context. This thread didn't start as a vehicle for you to show your apathy, ignorance and arguments based on nutty preconceptions.

Nice rhetoric. Of course, anyone that disagrees with the need for your business is an ignorant nutjob. Even if the objections raised are valid. ie, carbon accounting is an expensive and innacurate activity (agricultural emissions are measured how?) that so far has made no appreciable impact on reducing emissions.

Between them, India and China are building one 500MW coal fired power station per week, every week (on average), for the next 30 years. Offset that!
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:20am

Carbon accounting is difficult and inaccurate for some sources, yes. Other sources are easy, such as your favoured fossil fuels. But meaurement/estimation is a cruicial step towards understanding opportunities for mitigation and targets.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ThingOne on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:48am

j2hyde wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:
j2hyde wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:Facts before rhetoric please.

:lol: So, how's the carbon mitigation business going for you anyway? Saved the planet yet?

Just like you to smudge the context. This thread didn't start as a vehicle for you to show your apathy, ignorance and arguments based on nutty preconceptions.

Nice rhetoric. Of course, anyone that disagrees with the need for your business is an ignorant nutjob. Even if the objections raised are valid. ie, carbon accounting is an expensive and innacurate activity (agricultural emissions are measured how?) that so far has made no appreciable impact on reducing emissions.

Between them, India and China are building one 500MW coal fired power station per week, every week (on average), for the next 30 years. Offset that!

:withstupid:
Saving the planet has become a religion with anyone who questions methodologies burnt at the stake. Any Scientist who disagrees with any findings is labeled a renegade, regardless.
The fact is no one 'knows" for sure about anything its all based on theories and dinner table logic. They dont even know for sure that carbon causes the problem FFS. The Oceans release many times more carbon & heat naturally than humans could ever make.

Tax plankton.

Now I will be labeled as a nutjob for questioning the allmighty Green Religion.

Im going to go ride my bike. :love:
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:56am

You just need to read more about it, rather than thinking its wrong because your don't udnerstand it. This is a NZ relevant appraisal, and its at the library:
http://whekenui.wcl.govt.nz/cgi-bin/cw_ ... 56066+1+-1
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby ThingOne on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:59am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:You just need to read more about it, rather than thinking its wrong because your don't udnerstand it. This is a NZ relevant appraisal, and its at the library:

Yep have been :p

http://www.nov55.com/gbwm.html
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby Oli on Fri 17/Apr/09 10:02am

Yes, all that pink highlighting sold me too! :o
Oli

Postby j2hyde on Fri 17/Apr/09 10:42am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:You just need to read more about it, rather than thinking its wrong because your don't udnerstand it.

This is an interesting comment.

Back in my uni days I had various lecturers who used to say that if people were more educated about a particular issue (environmental issues being a prominent example) then they would be more inclined to agree with the positions advocated by those lecturers.

But while that may be a valid argument, I'm not sure it reflects reality. Governments and health organisations love to tell us about what we should and shouldn't eat, about how we should exercise and not drink too much etc, but plenty of people are still fat, drunk, smokers not because of a lack of saturation advertising, but rather because their health is not as important to them as other things in their lives. Eg: the pleasure derived from a nicotine addiction. You might assume that the principle of self interest is enough to motiviate people to change their behaviour when they are made aware that their current behaviour is self destructive, but IMO that assumption is incorrect.

Environmental issues are somewhat the same. There is no question that human activites change the environment. But being aware of this reality and caring about it are different things (and that's before you get to the murky issue of value judgements about the nature of that change). And the link to individual self interest is far more tenuous with environmental matters than health and wellbeing.

The argument that "we should save the planet because it's the only one we've got" (or variations on the theme) assumes that people can somehow identify their own self interest with that of "the planet, or sympathise with the self interested concept of perpetuating of their species. That's a huge assumption, and even if it is correct why should people give a shit about perpetuating the species?

Another example on the theme:
'Those of us who have looked to the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholders’ equity, myself included, are in a state of shocked disbelief'
Alan Greenspan
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 17/Apr/09 11:08am

ThingOne wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:You just need to read more about it, rather than thinking its wrong because your don't udnerstand it. This is a NZ relevant appraisal, and its at the library:

You could try peer reviewed science as well
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby ThingOne on Fri 17/Apr/09 11:22am

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
ThingOne wrote:

You could try peer reviewed science as well

Wheres the fun in that.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 17/Apr/09 11:28am

BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"