Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sat 7/May/11 10:09pm

I gots me a 99 Maxima. It grinds under heavy braking. So I thought it just needs pads and probably a skim.

But no, pads have 2/3rds left. Scrapers nowhere near hitting. Ive had all pads out and looked for stones etc. All clear.

It really feels like worn out pads but is not. Will do pads anyway but could there be something im missing? Could a lose wheel bearing cause the rotor to move a bit? But bearings feel fine.
Last edited by Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 6:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sat 7/May/11 10:12pm

Do the disc surfaces feel ok? (ie: has it had the pads worn down to metal in the past at some stage?)
dented
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sat 7/May/11 10:20pm

Have you had the pads out of the caliper? Id be taking them out and checking all the backing plates for shiny spots where they might have been rubbing on part of the hat, which can happen with aftermarket pads on occasion (or wrong model pads for example). Failing that I would be putting them back in only after liberal application of copper anti-sieze compound to the back of the backing plates and shims, also caliper slider bolts.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sat 7/May/11 10:22pm

dented wrote:Do the disc surfaces feel ok? (ie: has it had the pads worn down to metal in the past at some stage?)


Yeah they look fine. As smooth as you would expect for k's the cars done.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sat 7/May/11 10:29pm

dented wrote:Have you had the pads out of the caliper? Id be taking them out and checking all the backing plates for shiny spots where they might have been rubbing on part of the hat, which can happen with aftermarket pads on occasion (or wrong model pads for example). Failing that I would be putting them back in only after liberal application of copper anti-sieze compound to the back of the backing plates and shims, also caliper slider bolts.


Will do tomorrow. Pulling them apart after ride at Woody. 3rd time apart, have looked for odd rubs, calliper hitting wheel(not likely but looked) etc. Probably will pull rotors off and see if more Im missing. Will hit pads with a little sand paper to see if theres something in em hidden.

This cars been one of those with funny faults, coils, knock sensor, etc. And stereo replacement that would not work( that was a mind f@#k, turned out to be hidden amp not mentioned in any FSMs).
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sat 7/May/11 10:36pm

Jap import?
dented
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sat 7/May/11 10:51pm

Nah, Kiwi new. Im second owner. Got it from an old fella. Got original invoice etc.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 7/May/11 11:02pm

if my car barked I'd be worried as well :paranoid:
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sun 8/May/11 12:32am

Bet you wish you still had that scodie old Commodore :D
dented
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Simon_K on Sun 8/May/11 3:12am

I'd be getting rotors skimmed or replaced. New pads too.

Recently replaced everything on my wagon that had previously been a squealing nightmare and its so nice to have quiet braking :)
Simon_K
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 7:00am

Simon_K wrote:I'd be getting rotors skimmed or replaced. New pads too.

Recently replaced everything on my wagon that had previously been a squealing nightmare and its so nice to have quiet braking :)


I would if I thought that would fix it. Not convinced yet. But have found a hot deal on slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. :blush:
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sun 8/May/11 7:01am

Spokes wrote:
Simon_K wrote:I'd be getting rotors skimmed or replaced. New pads too.

Recently replaced everything on my wagon that had previously been a squealing nightmare and its so nice to have quiet braking :)


I would if I thought that would fix it. Not convinced yet. But have found a hot deal on slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. :blush:

Putting that sort of stuff on a Maxima would confirm mid-life crisis status you realise.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 7:04am

dented wrote:
Spokes wrote:
Simon_K wrote:I'd be getting rotors skimmed or replaced. New pads too.

Recently replaced everything on my wagon that had previously been a squealing nightmare and its so nice to have quiet braking :)


I would if I thought that would fix it. Not convinced yet. But have found a hot deal on slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. :blush:

Putting that sort of stuff on a Maxima would confirm mid-life crisis status you realise.


Its not a mid life crisis. :hmmm:



I plan to live to 200. :D
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 8/May/11 7:29am

Spokes wrote:I would if I thought that would fix it. Not convinced yet. But have found a hot deal on slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. :blush:



you should fit those for sure, you should fix the unloading in third problem too. lengthen that injector puulse a milisec and you'll run nines... :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Car Barke Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 7:37am

slidecontrol wrote:
Spokes wrote:I would if I thought that would fix it. Not convinced yet. But have found a hot deal on slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads. :blush:



you should fit those for sure, you should fix the unloading in third problem too. lengthen that injector puulse a milisec and you'll run nines... :thumbsup:


I wanna go for a y-pipe first. Then a Stillen strut brace. :lol:
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

43 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit

cron