Re: Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 9:22am

Worked it out, the pads are slightly tapered so as they wear they get wider. So they are hitting the rusty area away from the braking surface. So skim and pads. Just need to check rotor min width.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 9:36am

Oh and any vorbi panel beaters? Got a little rust I want patched up under the car.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sun 8/May/11 11:17am

Spokes wrote:Worked it out, the pads are slightly tapered so as they wear they get wider. So they are hitting the rusty area away from the braking surface. So skim and pads. Just need to check rotor min width.

I'd be taking to the pads with an angle grinder if there is 2/3 of the life left....
dented
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 6:42pm

dented wrote:
Spokes wrote:Worked it out, the pads are slightly tapered so as they wear they get wider. So they are hitting the rusty area away from the braking surface. So skim and pads. Just need to check rotor min width.

I'd be taking to the pads with an angle grinder if there is 2/3 of the life left....


I had thought about that. May just do it and keep an eye out for some new rotors. Im not a big believer in skimming them. Im sure its fine but would rather get some new ones.

The new stereo is great. Great drive out to Woody today.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby dented on Sun 8/May/11 6:50pm

Skimming is fine if they are still above min thickness when the job is finished. Although I really dont ever get it done just as a matter of course when replacing pads. IMO its one of those 'upsells' that is done far more frequently than necessary. Even discs that are a bit uneven (as is normal during wear), will just wear the new pads in to the same profile and perform perfectly normal for the duration of the pads.
Its when your car suffers from 'brake shudder' that new rotors (or a skim) are required. Generally caused by the rotors becoming warped from being overheated (generally caused by poor driving rather then racy driving, ie: descending the rimutuka hill in top gear all the way and over-using the brake pedal)

IMHO of course.
dented
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Car Brake Problem, Any Mechanics Out There?

Postby Spokes on Sun 8/May/11 6:56pm

dented wrote:Skimming is fine if they are still above min thickness when the job is finished. Although I really dont ever get it done just as a matter of course when replacing pads. IMO its one of those 'upsells' that is done far more frequently than necessary. Even discs that are a bit uneven (as is normal during wear), will just wear the new pads in to the same profile and perform perfectly normal for the duration of the pads.
Its when your car suffers from 'brake shudder' that new rotors (or a skim) are required. Generally caused by the rotors becoming warped from being overheated (generally caused by poor driving rather then racy driving, ie: descending the rimutuka hill in top gear all the way and over-using the brake pedal)

IMHO of course.


I concur. If its warped I always get new ones.
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

46 Users browsing this website: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], pushbikerider, wachtourak, Yahoo [Bot], znomit and 38 guests

VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Butterfly Customs
  • GT Bicycles
  • Vorb Shop