Re: Canterbury Track Cycling Carnival

Postby istepinyards on Mon 28/Dec/09 11:47pm

Fergie wrote:Yes our track is not an indoor board track. I suspect that is Launceston in Tassie.

If you squint one eye and close the other the red banner looks like the british cycling one. britishcycling.org.uk

Maybe Manchester? Fergie?

Not that it really matters :D
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 29/Dec/09 12:00am

Manchester I think as one of the signs on the track ends in uk.org. Well spotted.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 29/Dec/09 12:01am

No Madison. But there will be a good points race as well as a big A grade elimination race and a 1 lap dash for the cash and Keirin for the Sprinters with Nathan Seddon looking to break back into the NZ team an entry!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby istepinyards on Tue 29/Dec/09 12:08am

Fergie wrote:Manchester I think as one of the signs on the track ends in uk.org. Well spotted.
Witnessed something special there. Macca GOLD again :thumbsup:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Thu 31/Dec/09 10:03am

2008 World Champion Hayden Godfrey, 2009 Junior World Champion Cameron Karwowski, 2 X Olympian Joanne Kiesanowski and 2006 Commonwealth Games Representative Adam Stewart are starters for the Track Carnival and will be lining up in the huge wheel race chasing the big prize money and gaining speed for Track Nationals in February.

Other notable riders on the start list include...

The very experienced and well travelled Jason Allen.
New Zealand's current dominant Sprint Queen Natasha Hansen
6 X NZ Champion this year Elisabeth Steel
2010 NZ Madison Champion Shane Archbold
2 X World Cup Keirin Finalist Simon van Velthooven
4th in Junior Worlds Individual Pursuit Ruaraidh McLeod
3 X NZ Champion Michael Vink
U17 NZ Champions Fraser Gough and Alysha Keith
Fergie

Postby Fergie on Mon 4/Jan/10 9:18am

Get your entries in to Syd Martin for some of the best racing of the year!!! Call or text Syd on 021 235 5654.

Syd Martin, Barbara Martin and I spent 5 hours cleaning up Denton Park in preparation so if I'm limping it's because my whole right side is in agony.
Fergie

Postby Fergie on Mon 4/Jan/10 2:13pm

Just been down the track motorpacing some NI riders getting them familiar with Denton Park. Mint day and the weather forecast is good. Programme is finalised with races for Elites, Women, U19s, U17s and U15s. You can still enter to have a crack at the field stacked with World Champions, Junior World Champions, NZ and Oceania Champions and Olympians!!!
Fergie

Postby Fergie on Tue 5/Jan/10 9:00am

Tonight it is all on at Denton Park. The weather Gods have answered our call and the people of Canterbury get to see some World Class Kiwi Cyclists in action. Track will be open for warming up from 5.20pm. Racing starts at 6pm, $5 admission and $10 for families.

Again a big thanks to all our event sponsors
-Harcourts 4 Seasons
-DressSmart
-Hornby Working Mens Club
-The Star
-John Bull Cycles
-Pak N Save
-Smarts Collisons Service
-Finns Bar and Bistro
-100% Murray Steele Appliances
-Vis-Com
-Avanti Plus Cycles

Just a note from the Comissaires panel of Hamish Ferguson, Ken Lasenby, Paul Dahl, John McBain and Peter Richards that we are here to ensure safe, fair and competitive racing. The two main things we will be looking out for to ensure this is respecting the racing lane in the sprint and holding a straight line once the sprint has commenced.
Fergie

Postby Fergie on Tue 5/Jan/10 1:00pm

5 hours to go till the biggest celebration of turning left at stupid speeds Christchurch has ever seen!!!

CARNIVAL!!!
Fergie

Postby fatwombat on Tue 5/Jan/10 6:01pm

I hope the carnival goes well. Hannah was very grateful for your time yesterday, and also for the advice from the U19 guy who rode round with her. She said the surface of Denton Park is much smoother than Hataitai.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 5 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Tue 5/Jan/10 10:40pm

Great evening of racing :thumbsup:

Well done to Syd, Fergie and all the rest of the awesome team who put on the night :love:

It was my first night at the track since I quit racing 19 years ago :blink: I was concerned going along to watch tonight would make me want to buy a track bike and return to my roots.

Now I can see why I had that concern :blush:
XCguy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby cauld on Tue 5/Jan/10 10:50pm

Results then?
cauld
"God Botherer Botherer"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 5/Jan/10 11:06pm

That was a full on night. Mental note test dress shoes before the big day. The blisters on my little toe are bigger than my little toe :angry:

The racing was good. The stars proved why they have earned that title. Simon Van Velthooven was on fire in the sprint events taking out the 450m, Keirin and 1000m feature events while Michael Vink, Haydon Godfrey and Shane Archbold showed their class in the distance events. Natasha Hanson won the Women's Keirin but it was gutting to see Joanne Kiesanowski hit the deck hard with a lap to go.

Some good racing was seen in the U17 events with Dylan Kennet having too much speed for George Hubbard and George Tutton but class ride of the night came from Alysha Keith who went out hard in the 2000m wheelrace and held out a large group of boys.

Racing again tomorrow night at 6pm including the big wheelrace with $750 on the line for the place-getters.
Fergie

Postby XCguy on Tue 5/Jan/10 11:49pm

There are a few photos from this evening at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48826&id=1246207661&l=3e9b1be1f4. More will be added to the album when we have time.
XCguy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 6/Jan/10 12:17am

Feature Race Winners

-Hornby Working Men's Club Women's 2400m: Joanne Kiesanowski
-John Bull Cycles 450m Dash: Simon Van Velthooven
-Blox Apparel Junior 2400m Handicap: Alysha Keith
-Dress Smart 1000m: Simon Van Velthooven
-The Star U19 3000m: Fraser Gough
-The Hub Hornby Men's Keirin: Simon Van Velthooven
-The Hub Hornby Women's Keirin: Natasha Hansen
-Crowd Bucket Prize Devil: Michael Vink
-Harcourts 4 Seasons 8000m: Hayden Godfrey
Fergie

Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts