Re: Canterbury Most Depressed Region

Postby RJD on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:42pm

There's a stack of side effects with any medication.

There's also a range of antidepressants so if the side effects of one are severe you can be switched to something else which hopefully wont be as bad.

Drugs are complex, and yes prehaps some GP's are prescribing antidepressants without enough thought but I doubt it.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:52pm

LOOK HIJACKERS!!! This thread is about how shit Christchurch is, not so you can argue the toss about sensitivity and pharmaceutical vs alternative therapies for mental health, we all know they need strong people who'll treat them as a person not a disease, you mong-durs, it must be true 'cause that's what Dame Susan said.

Now, back to the chch bashing, has anyone mentioned how flat and smoggy it is?
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:58pm

CrustyMTB wrote:LOOK HIJACKERS!!! This thread is about how shit Christchurch is, not so you can argue the toss about sensitivity and pharmaceutical vs alternative therapies for mental health, we all know they need strong people who'll treat them as a person not a disease, you mong-durs, it must be true 'cause that's what Dame Susan said.

Now, back to the chch bashing, has anyone mentioned how flat and smoggy it is?

i reckon it being flat is one of the reasons people are depressed. i bet Hamilton has similar levels of depression to chch, cos its a flat HOLE too. palmy no doubt as well. its the lack of views. if you live on the hills in chch, or you live in dunners, wellyville or auckers, you pretty much always get a view, either of some hill suburbs or from hill suburbs, whereas if you're on the flats of chch, all you get to look at is the coal smoke belching out of your neighbour's chimney, and a back fence. not very inspiring.. plus those boiracer exhausts and burnout noises travel real well on frosty smoggy nights... :D :p :) :sly: :blink: :blink: :blink:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby RJD on Mon 8/Jun/09 1:03pm

Chch - flat, apart from where it isnt.

Rather be here than Auckland. Tho Welly or Dunedin are OK too, Chch is the only place I can easily surf, bike and snowboard.
RJD

Postby radiusq on Mon 8/Jun/09 1:10pm

I've got views of both the Southern Alps and Port Hills from my office window. This is the best office window I've ever had.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby RJD on Mon 8/Jun/09 1:15pm

radiusq wrote:I've got views of both the Southern Alps and Port Hills from my office window. This is the best office window I've ever had.

Used to work on floor 11 of the ANZ tower, ace views! I just get them from home now...
RJD

Postby scatter on Mon 8/Jun/09 2:50pm

It didn't matter where I was, the sun rising on a cold frosty morning used to make my heart sing :)

I used to work early mornings both here (Chch) and in Hamilton doing this:
coldfrostymorn-terapa.jpg

I miss it a lot :(
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 8/Jun/09 3:03pm

yeah, i've got views of the alps too, from a 5th floor (we have a G, so really i'm on the 6th) west facing office...

i happen to like chch. sure, all the mongtard boiracers piss me off, but the city aint bad.

its big enough to have a bit of 'culture'. its got some amazing resources, the rivers, the estuary, the beaches, the hills, from where i live i've got mtnbiking 20mins ride away in 2 different directions, mountains or Banks Peninsula an hour away in the car. a few years ago i thought about a move to Melbourne, but upon weighing up the pros and cons decided to stay put.
eg:
here. 10 min bike to work. good big yard for dog (not to mention river 1 min's walk for walking dogs). mtnbiking 20mins ride away.
melbs. train to work, or long ride. no back yard. mtnbiking 2 hours drive away.

if we didnt have the Easterly, and boiracers, the place would be great. (my cure for the Easterly would involve several banks of wind turbines along the coast...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 8/Jun/09 3:23pm

There's no such thing as a perfect place to live. So far I've tried London, Auckland and Christchurch. For the things that I now enjoy in life Christchurch beats the other two places hands down. I'd find it very hard to move back to either London or Auckland now. Being a city kid I don't think I could go any smaller though.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 8/Jun/09 3:54pm

RJD wrote:
slowMTB wrote:These days Doctors give out anti-depressant pills like they are candy. Over prescribing is the problem, they only calm the patient, NOT fix the problem.

Utterly totaly clueless mate.

If your clinically depressed your depressed, anti depressants can help people get better and eventually stop taking them. There's usually a start and end to the course.

I assume you'd rather people suffer in silence & misery and probably top themselves then?

I totally agree - if you are clinically depressed then they have their place BUT a hell of a lot of people are prescribed antiD's when it is not necessary.
I don't like seeing anyone suffer - you do not know anything about me so please refrain your "assumtions". I am all too aware of this sad infliction and am fortunate to have helped many close friends / family through "hard times". Seeing someone deeply depressed is an extremely upsetting experience, keeping it together and being there for them is what they need most.

"Utterly totally clueless" - I wish :(
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Thermo on Mon 8/Jun/09 4:07pm

radiusq wrote:
Thermo wrote:
radiusq wrote:Myself, I'll never need to pop a pill whilst I have 6inches of travel and a snowboard :)

That's because you don't have a mental illness. If you did, then you'd know you had a flash bike and snowbard but you still wouldn't give a shit.

Sorry, I can see how my post could be mis-interpreted. I've had both family and close friends suffer from depression and schizophrenia and know the affects on individuals and family only too well. Depression is not a trivial state of mind that one can snap out of.

I do refuse to believe however that the 197,000 people prescribed with anti-depressants in Canterbury were actually suffering from depression. For want of a better word the vast majority of the people would have been suffering from very 'mild depression', or what previous generations would have referred to as 'the blues'. For some reason there's an expectation in our western societies that dictates that we should be happy all the time. Drug companies have only been too happy to oblige, and unfortunately it appears that majority of doctors are all too willing to oblige too. Sorry, I don't have any research material to back it up, but I read into the above statistic as evidence in itself - 197,000 in the Canterbury region with depression? That just doesn't sound right to me.

Personally I believe that the vast majority of these people with 'mild depression' would have benefited from being prescribed an exercise regime rather than having their neurological processes altered via 3rd party substances. If I'm being brutally honest I am very much aware of my own mental health. I self prescribe exercise, and I won't stay in a darkened room playing video games or watching movies, binge drink, skip sleep etc for the same reason. I expect that a lot of vorbers are aware of their own mental health and approach it similarly too.

In spite of my previous post, I would agree with you on a number of points there. :)

I guess the problem facing the doctors is where do they draw the line between the bridge-jumpers and those that can't buy a flat screen telly? (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/ ... ues-go-pop)

Anyway, let's go back to bashing Christchurch..... :)
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 8/Jun/09 6:36pm

Ok then, so which city is the "gayest" - not so fast, put your hands down Aucklanders, lets debate the topic first :p
slowMTB

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 8/Jun/09 6:41pm

slowMTB wrote:Ok then, so which city is the "gayest" - not so fast, put your hands down Aucklanders, lets debate the topic first :p

No no, let them have it, they obviously want, ney, need to be the gayest! :D
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 8/Jun/09 6:44pm

Percy Pig wrote:
slowMTB wrote:Ok then, so which city is the "gayest" - not so fast, put your hands down Aucklanders, lets debate the topic first :p

No no, let them have it, they obviously want, ney, need to be the gayest! :D

:lol:
slowMTB

Postby nostromo on Mon 8/Jun/09 8:41pm

Close the place down; the hookers, the boi racers, and the slack-jawed mongtards.
And convert the lot to Dairy, theres the ChCh problem solved.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Canterbury | Health | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts