Re: Canterbury Most Depressed Region

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:08am

Trail wrote:but first port of call appears to be handing out pills.

What precisely is wrong with pills?
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:20am

Trail wrote:
Was lovely out sat morning. Not at all depressing...

yo' zane, what hilltop is that? herbert? or richardson or something out that way?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:28am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

Side effects. :angry:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:34am

swtchbckr wrote:
Trail wrote:

yo' zane, what hilltop is that? herbert? or richardson or something out that way?

You have PM.
Trail

Postby radiusq on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:49am

Thermo wrote:
radiusq wrote:Myself, I'll never need to pop a pill whilst I have 6inches of travel and a snowboard :)

That's because you don't have a mental illness. If you did, then you'd know you had a flash bike and snowbard but you still wouldn't give a shit.

Sorry, I can see how my post could be mis-interpreted. I've had both family and close friends suffer from depression and schizophrenia and know the affects on individuals and family only too well. Depression is not a trivial state of mind that one can snap out of.

I do refuse to believe however that the 197,000 people prescribed with anti-depressants in Canterbury were actually suffering from depression. For want of a better word the vast majority of the people would have been suffering from very 'mild depression', or what previous generations would have referred to as 'the blues'. For some reason there's an expectation in our western societies that dictates that we should be happy all the time. Drug companies have only been too happy to oblige, and unfortunately it appears that majority of doctors are all too willing to oblige too. Sorry, I don't have any research material to back it up, but I read into the above statistic as evidence in itself - 197,000 in the Canterbury region with depression? That just doesn't sound right to me.

Personally I believe that the vast majority of these people with 'mild depression' would have benefited from being prescribed an exercise regime rather than having their neurological processes altered via 3rd party substances. If I'm being brutally honest I am very much aware of my own mental health. I self prescribe exercise, and I won't stay in a darkened room playing video games or watching movies, binge drink, skip sleep etc for the same reason. I expect that a lot of vorbers are aware of their own mental health and approach it similarly too.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:53am

Trail wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

Everything has potential side effects.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Mon 8/Jun/09 11:55am

I think peoples attitude has changed now too. It is not just the Drug companies and Doctors. Changing the way you live your life (exercise, diet, drinking etc) is harder than popping a pill and takes more time. People want to be able to pop a pill and make it all better without having to change their lives.
Trail

Postby Tama on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:00pm

radiusq wrote:Personally I believe that the vast majority of these people with 'mild depression' would have benefited from being prescribed an exercise regime rather than having their neurological processes altered via 3rd party substances. If I'm being brutally honest I am very much aware of my own mental health. I self prescribe exercise, and I won't stay in a darkened room playing video games or watching movies, binge drink, skip sleep etc for the same reason. I expect that a lot of vorbers are aware of their own mental health and approach it similarly too.

:thumbsup:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Jono on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:05pm

phunk wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10576847

Canterbury is the most depressed region in the country, with 191,000 people prescribed medication for depression in 2007, the latest year for which a breakdown by district health board is available.

Explains alot really.

It's not suprising. Much of the medical research in NZ happens in christchurch, and the doctors down there are more likely to prescribe drugs for things that patients visit them for because of the closer links between drug companies and GPs.

Or so my viccles said when she was working at the Ministry of Health 10 years back.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:05pm

Jono wrote:It's not suprising. Much of the medical research in NZ happens in christchurch, and the doctors down there are more likely to prescribe drugs for things that patients visit them for because of the closer links between drug companies and GPs.

Or so my viccles said when she was working at the Ministry of Health 10 years back.

Also, it's a fucking horrible place to live.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby radiusq on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:06pm

Trail wrote:I think peoples attitude has changed now too. It is not just the Drug companies and Doctors. Changing the way you live your life (exercise, diet, drinking etc) is harder than popping a pill and takes more time. People want to be able to pop a pill and make it all better without having to change their lives.

Absolutely, and there's a lot of similarities to be made with the slimming industry. The majority of people are only too willing to allow themselves to be told how they should look and feel. If you don't look good, drink a milk shake with each meal and lose weight. Don't feel happy? Take a pill.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:10pm

Trail wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:
Trail wrote:

You have PM.

check your PM's
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby ratrod on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:11pm

Trail wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

Which aren't as bad as the effects of depression.
The pills are a way of dealing with the depression and anxiety in the short term while counseling is used to determine the cause and solution. Short term isn't necessarily all that short either. Depending on how long the depression has been going on for it can take a while to get the chemical balance in the brain back to stable levels.
Have a understanding and supportive family, friends and work environment also goes a hell of a long way.

For a sufferer of depression to see people making light of it can actually drag them back down again.
I suggest that anybody who thinks they can say something witty about depression to think again. Depression is an incredibly difficult illness to deal with and negative comments by idiots can cause a whole lot of harm.
ratrod
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby RJD on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:21pm

slowMTB wrote:These days Doctors give out anti-depressant pills like they are candy. Over prescribing is the problem, they only calm the patient, NOT fix the problem.

Utterly totaly clueless mate.

If your clinically depressed your depressed, anti depressants can help people get better and eventually stop taking them. There's usually a start and end to the course.

I assume you'd rather people suffer in silence & misery and probably top themselves then?
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Mon 8/Jun/09 12:36pm

ratrod wrote:
Trail wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:

Which aren't as bad as the effects of depression.
The pills are a way of dealing with the depression and anxiety in the short term while counseling is used to determine the cause and solution. Short term isn't necessarily all that short either. Depending on how long the depression has been going on for it can take a while to get the chemical balance in the brain back to stable levels.
Have a understanding and supportive family, friends and work environment also goes a hell of a long way.

For a sufferer of depression to see people making light of it can actually drag them back down again.
I suggest that anybody who thinks they can say something witty about depression to think again. Depression is an incredibly difficult illness to deal with and negative comments by idiots can cause a whole lot of harm.

Oh I am not making light of it, and I completely understand that there are times when the pills are going to be of immense help to people, but I do believe that people are not well informed of the side effects that can come along with some of the pills. Things like weight gain, loss of libido and loss of mental clarity.
Trail

Canterbury | Health | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts