Can Bb Spacers Get Squished??

Postby mjc on Fri 4/Jun/10 6:15pm

So the BB on the GF's bike has developed some play that I cant get rid of by tightening it up. They are Raceface Evolve Cranks and BB, 68mm shell, so 1 spacer on non-drive side, 2 spacers on drive side. When the main crank-bolt is done up tight, the crank/axle assembly can move side to side within the bb cups. Only a millimetre or two, but enough to notice when riding and to create some nasty creaking noises.

So I'm wondering if the plastic spacers might have got compressed, effectively reducing the width of the bb?? If so I guess I just need to acquire some new spacers...
mjc
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Can Bb Spacers Get Squished??

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 4/Jun/10 6:20pm

Normally the shell spacers are alloy, so shouldn't get compressed

but the bearing covers in the BB unit itself are plastic and if over torqued cold deform the plastic, are you sure its not a rooted bearing or dry threads in the bb cup, or even the splined interface (if its an early raceface external crank) causing the creak?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby mjc on Fri 4/Jun/10 6:22pm

Nah, you can see the crank axle sliding bback and forward within the cups. And the spacers are defo plastic. I can see a little bit of deformation on them but not sure if it could be enough....
mjc

Postby A-racer on Fri 4/Jun/10 6:24pm

There should also be two or three 1mm spacers on the crank spindle one of which is red. Maybe these have been misplaced.
A-racer
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 4/Jun/10 7:20pm

I had a RF BB and accidentally overtightened it once. And yes the spacers were plastic and they deformed - the BB cups were alloy and were fine - but my chainline was a bit borked with the spacing being munted.

The easy solution is to get a couple of alloy spacers off your friendly lbs and replace the munted plastic ones. And then be carefull not to overtighten the BB cups when installing them. :thumbsup:
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Fri 4/Jun/10 7:26pm

I wouldn't trust plastic bb spacers, go for alloy ones
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Owen on Fri 4/Jun/10 7:33pm

I mashed my BB spacer today, but Id rather mash that than massively over tighten the rest of it and damge something else. I are hamfisted.
Owen
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby banga on Fri 4/Jun/10 9:19pm

A-racer wrote:There should also be two or three 1mm spacers on the crank spindle one of which is red. Maybe these have been misplaced.

concur. RF cranks should always have spacers on the axle aswell as those between the shell and bb cups.
banga

Postby mjc on Sat 5/Jun/10 9:26am

Right, might try and get some alloy ones then.

Are the axle spacers the ones with the little red seal type things that sit in the drive-side crank???

I have replaced the bb once, but there werent any parts left over from when it was factory installed!!!!
mjc

Postby banga on Sat 5/Jun/10 9:59am

mjc wrote:Right, might try and get some alloy ones then.

Are the axle spacers the ones with the little red seal type things that sit in the drive-side crank???

I have replaced the bb once, but there werent any parts left over from when it was factory installed!!!!

I've seen spacers in white black and red. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29489
banga

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts