Re: Campagnolo Vs Shimano . . .?

Postby fatwombat on Sun 13/Dec/09 11:29pm

That's a very thought-provoking comment.

I started riding 5 years ago (after 12 years not riding) just to get fit and to commute, so being able to walk around was important; also my only bike was an MTB with 2 sets of wheels (for road/ bush). Since then the priorities have changed - now 3 of my kids are racing track, the older 2 are road racing and the 2 girls are losing their taste for MTB, so I'm doing a lot of road riding with the kids just for the riding. The MTB-ing is getting less, and I'm not commuting any more, but I hadn't re-thought my shoe policy.

The kids are all using SPD pedals for all 3 types of riding (so we only had to buy 1 pair of shoes each). If the difference is as significant as you say, I should probably give higher priority to buying them road pedals and shoes, especially for Hannah who is actually significantly competitive in U15 and even U17. And if there's any money left I should probably do the same for myself.

So thanks for that suggestion Oli, I'll definitely be exploring it - even though it'll get me into a whole new money problem with the missus!! :D
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Sun 13/Dec/09 11:31pm

I think it's a good investment to explore. Good stuff, FW. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby fatwombat on Sun 13/Dec/09 11:35pm

SlackBoy wrote:Bushlove mocks your choice of pedals

Of course - and if I apply Oli's advice for the kids, I can steal their SPDs for myself and escape from that shame.

The kids told me I drove past you on the way home from track training this evening - were you somewhere between the Basin Reserve and Willis St between 5 and 6pm? You can imagine the screams of adulation and worship hysteria that were provoked by your proximity . . . :lol:

The guy in Burkes told me you would be the ideal guy to answer the initial query in this thread - Veloce or 105? He reckoned the big difference would be in the BB, ultra-torque or the new Shimano external bearings system.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Sun 13/Dec/09 11:37pm

Not Ricky sadly, but both b/b systems are great. HTH :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 13/Dec/09 11:55pm

Oli wrote:Not Ricky sadly, but both b/b systems are great. HTH :thumbsup:
:withstupid: I agree, just to agree with Oli. He;s my hero.

And why yes FW, I was out and about around that time. I was heading up to Pohil and the rollercoaster about that time
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Retro Bicycles | Road Cycling - Latest Posts