Camera Recommendations Please. Small, Light + Good Photos?

Postby Trail on Wed 15/Apr/09 10:45am

Hi all,

I am looking for some camera recommendations. I currently have a Cannon Powershot A610, which takes ok photos, but it is quite big and heavy compared to a lot of point and shoot cameras today. I am thinking i would like to get a nice small point and shoot to replace it. Small enough that I can put it in a pouch on the shoulder strap of my Camelbak.

Features I am looking for in a camera.
Small
Light
Good battery life
Ability to take good photos (for a point and shoot type camera). Most of the photos I take involve biking, so something that works well for high speed subjects in low light forest conditions would be great!
I would quite like a camera that is fairly weather/waterproof, but I would put photo quality before waterproofness.

What would you people recommend??
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Camera Recommendations Please. Small, Light + Good Photos?

Postby danose on Wed 15/Apr/09 11:08am

can you live with 'only' a 5 power zoom - if so the olympus mju 840 might tick the boxes for you, fridge has one and it's tiny and takes great pics :thumbsup: DSE and P&V both have them on clearance for a good price

or if you're feeling really rich there's the leica c-lux series :o

maybe the other one to look at would be the mju 'tough' 6000 - since it's snowproof as well :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby ants06 on Wed 15/Apr/09 11:12am

Im happy with my finepix j12 . it got a big lcd , slow ex poser mode , high speed for spots + more batt last ages and only cost me $169 at norm ross
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Wed 15/Apr/09 11:17am

danose wrote:can you live with 'only' a 5 power zoom - if so the olympus mju 840 might tick the boxes for you,

I find that my mju720 is quite heave for its size. but its still light enough to put in a pouch. the other thing i don't like about it is no viewfinder so if ther is a lot of light behind you its hard to see the screen.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 15/Apr/09 11:18am

Just about to head out and buy either a Sony W120 or Panasonic Lumix LZ8, based on this recommendation. Not sure about the weatherproofness of either though:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q408bud ... page15.asp

PS - once you've made your decision, use http://www.pricespy.co.nz to find the best price.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby danose on Wed 15/Apr/09 11:28am

philstar wrote:the other thing i don't like about it is no viewfinder so if ther is a lot of light behind you its hard to see the screen.

I know what you mean - one of the reasons I bought a canon a570is is cos it still had a true optical viewfinder, think it was the last model that did though, everything in the compact size nowdays is rear LCD only :(
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Postby lubie on Wed 15/Apr/09 11:36am

we got a sony 10.1m. has a wide angle lens massive 2.5inch screen, video, audio, and either 10 or 8 optical zoom, but I can't remember which. It's good! Light, easy to use and is pretty good for closeups.
DSC00908 (1).JPG
lubie
Member for: 14 years 10 months

lubie
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 15/Apr/09 12:29pm

I've been looking at the Canon ixus 860is - has a 28mm equiv lens which I like for general photog'y - they are now superceded, but still available at approx $450.

Have has a superb run out of our now 5yr old Olympus mju 400 'weatherproof' - it even survived being well dunked in a river once when I was doing arty stuff with rocks and flowing water.

Let us know what you find / get.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby RJD on Wed 15/Apr/09 12:40pm

danose wrote:maybe the other one to look at would be the mju 'tough' 6000 - since it's snowproof as well :thumbsup:

Theres a tough 1030 mju which is water resistant (10m) and pertty solid, a lot cheaper than the 6000 too, its top of my list at the moment for a biking/snowboarding camera alternate to the slr.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Wed 15/Apr/09 2:13pm

Mmm a 28mm equivalent lens would be quite nice.

I will have a look at the suggestions you people have in more depth soon. Cheers for the suggestions!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Wed 15/Apr/09 2:17pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:I've been looking at the Canon ixus 860is - has a 28mm equiv lens which I like for general photog'y - they are now superceded, but still available at approx $450.
X2 for the Ixus, small and light, very good battery life, sport mode for fast stuff, manual as well if you like playing, view finder.

For point and shoot - I loves mine :)
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby Spyder on Wed 15/Apr/09 2:37pm

Trail wrote:Mmm a 28mm equivalent lens would be quite nice.

I will have a look at the suggestions you people have in more depth soon. Cheers for the suggestions!

New Panasonic TZ7 is out now with 12x Optical (25-300). Maybe not as small and compact as you're after though. Does HD movies as well. Our TZ15 (28-300) was great, but we seem to have misplaced it :( It was a replacement for a TZ2 which we drowned in a backpack :( :(
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Wed 15/Apr/09 6:09pm

Regarding the Olympus mju tough cameras: The are not tough. Mine died when using it in about 1m of salt water (they are supposed to be good to 10m). Upon trying to warranty it I discovered it's a very common problem. I know 2 other people who have also had the same problem. Also, they take pretty average photos. They are a great idea, just not very well exectued.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Muzza on Wed 15/Apr/09 6:55pm

j2hyde wrote:Regarding the Olympus mju tough cameras: The are not tough. Mine died when using it in about 1m of salt water (they are supposed to be good to 10m). Upon trying to warranty it I discovered it's a very common problem. I know 2 other people who have also had the same problem. Also, they take pretty average photos. They are a great idea, just not very well exectued.

I have one of these and agree images are not that sharp. On the durability front I have had no issues. My kids have used and abused. It has spending long spells under water and so far all good.

I also have an old Canon. It takes great pictures, but battery life poor.

One thing that frustrates me with these cameras is the lag between pressing shutter and the photo being taken. This would be something I'd also be also looking at when selecting as new camera.
Muzza
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts