Re: Camera Recommendations Please. Small, Light + Good Photos?

Postby znomit on Wed 15/Apr/09 7:03pm

j2hyde wrote:Regarding the Olympus mju tough cameras: The are not tough.

I have a 720SW that has done a few weeks snorkelling in raro, and at least 1000km on the bento bag on my touring bike(right where the sweat drips). Its solid.
I got a newer 1030 last year for the 28mm lens and 10m waterproof. Feels kinda crappy compared to the older one. Time will tell.
I did keep the tag that said "the toughest camera you will ever own" which I figure is good for 10 years warranty. :thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:33am

This little Fujifilm gets a pretty good write-up from TheAge. http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-life/cameras--camcorders/reviews/review-fujifilm-f200exr/2009/04/14/1239474872826.html.

Low on useless gimmicks, high on useful features.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Apr/09 10:24am

Now that is interesting Spyder. The dynamic range is something that would be really useful. So often I am out riding in beech forest on sunny days and the dappled light under the trees (high dynamic range) means i almost never get good photos in these conditions.

Muzza, I have not had so much of a problem with lag times. Most cameras have a half press to focus and will take a photo almost instantly if you have the camera sitting in focus. It is the auto focus that usually gives that lag.

Although in flash situations I find my current camera does not recharge the flash quickly enough to take a photo of a second rider even when riders are spaced out and going up hill...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 17/Apr/09 12:37pm

:thumbsup: Canon A470 powershot.

$179 on special (saw it later for $169!).
Small, light & for plonkers like me = easy to use.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 12:43pm

Trail wrote:Now that is interesting Spyder. The dynamic range is something that would be really useful. So often I am out riding in beech forest on sunny days and the dappled light under the trees (high dynamic range) means i almost never get good photos in these conditions.

my 'big' camera (an ancient fuji 602z) has a first gen fuji superCCD (basically a smarted way of packing the ccd cells) - and it really is noticable how much better it was (compared to other 3mp cameras of the era) in low light :thumbsup: New one EXR ccd ones would only be better

and big upside of better low light performance is being able to shoot using natural light rather than flash - which cures your other complaint about flash cycle times :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Fri 17/Apr/09 12:51pm

The Fuji S5pro was ace at dynamic range.

But unless your going to shoot raw and it has a decent range your not going to get high enough dynamic range out of a little P&S
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 12:58pm

RJD wrote:The Fuji S5pro was ace at dynamic range.

yep - the s602z was the pre-cursor to that, and even though it's ancient (02!) I still break it out for 'proper' photography :thumbsup:

not many p&s's can capture shadow detail or cope with massive contrast difference like this....

109452721OdjeuB_fs.jpg
danose

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Apr/09 12:59pm

RJD wrote:The Fuji S5pro was ace at dynamic range.

But unless your going to shoot raw and it has a decent range your not going to get high enough dynamic range out of a little P&S

I understand that, but a P&S that does this "dynamic range extender mode, the camera takes two six-megapixel photos simultaneously at different exposures and merges them into a single image"

could possibly be a lot better than most P&S for dynamic range.
Trail

Postby RJD on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:05pm

Nothing you couldnt do with some simple HDR software and manual settings on any camera (or one that brackets).

But it could be handy to have built in in a P&S if it produces OK results, its very easy to produce horrid fake results with HDR.
RJD

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:16pm

RJD wrote:Nothing you couldnt do with some simple HDR software and manual settings on any camera (or one that brackets).

But it could be handy to have built in in a P&S if it produces OK results, its very easy to produce horrid fake results with HDR.

Sure, but that would mean taking 2 or more shots. I want something small and light that I can have in a pouch on my shoulder when out biking... and when I sprint off and get 30 seconds ahead of the next rider and see a spot I want a photo... well I am not going to have time to put a camera on a tripod and snap off 2 or more shots to get the range of exposure as well as happen to get a shot of the rider at the right exposure... My current powershot has enough setting to achieve all of that... but the way i like to take photos definitely does not have room for that.

I want something that i can jump off my bike, point at subject, shoot and get back on my bike. I accept that p&s cameras have limitations, especially with dynamic range but with a lot of my biking being done in dappled light in beech forest, then a p&s with an extended dynamic range (through whatever means) is going to give me better results.
Trail

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:21pm

Photo & Video in merivale should have the f200 in stock - go up and have a play! bad news is $740 though - so pretty top whack for a P&S
danose

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:25pm

For examples of the sort of photos I am taking.

Photos like this are ok on overcast days, but if the sun had been shining my current camera would not cope
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/344 ... 7e81_b.jpg

These are the sort of light conditions I am often trying to take photos with (the dynamic range in this photo is not a bad as many)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13388519@N ... 3/sizes/l/

I am quite happy with the results of the P&S when out in bright light conditions.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/335 ... ba63_b.jpg
Trail

Postby RJD on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:31pm

I'm too used to my slr and stil looking for something small too. Its a tough ask as small sensors/slow lens's dont give good low light results.
RJD

Postby Trail on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:42pm

RJD wrote:I'm too used to my slr and stil looking for something small too. Its a tough ask as small sensors/slow lens's dont give good low light results.

:thumbsup:

Let me know if you find something you like then! :D
Trail

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 1:44pm

Trail wrote:Let me know if you find something you like then! :D

I presume with the rider of 'without the cost of the Leica D series' :D
danose

Photography | Sifting - Latest Posts