Calling All 29er Riders - 29er Talk

Postby C-BASS on Sat 15/Apr/06 4:55pm

Just taking a informal polling of 29er riders in NZ. Chime in.

C-Bass - Wellington - 15 years of racing/riding and I've been reborn with the 29er. Riding has never been as much fun.
C-BASS
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Tama on Sat 15/Apr/06 5:06pm

Jeff Anderson at Kiwibikes - www.jeffson.co.nz has been doing a few lately. I've been toying with the idea of a singlespeed cyclocross - which is pretty much a 29er with drop bars.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Kah on Sat 15/Apr/06 6:08pm

I really want to try a 29/26 hardtail. Trek's launching one, and Carver Bikes have them too.
Kah
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Sat 15/Apr/06 6:23pm

Don't forget Salsa and Surly frames.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Slim on Sat 15/Apr/06 6:36pm

I have a Surly Karate Monkey built up running 33:16 and I :love: it
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby singlespeeder on Sat 15/Apr/06 10:01pm

my next bike will be an on-one inbred 29er. They have a pretty good kit and weigh about 24lb. It seems they use a butted tubeset making them lighter than surly KMs, so if you're not too big, then they are a good option.

I will have progressed from an avanti competitor -> bianchi siss (SS) -> 29er. I am quite tall 190cm, so it seems they are very suitable for me. I love my siss so much so i will keep that, but i can't wait to try 29"
singlespeeder

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 16/Apr/06 9:06am

Tama wrote: Jeff Anderson at Kiwibikes - www.jeffson.co.nz has been doing a few lately. I've been toying with the idea of a singlespeed cyclocross - which is pretty much a 29er with drop bars.

Get some Mary bars off Honeymonster instead of drops. Being a person that rides fairly upright you will never ever want to use the drops
SlackBoy

Postby Tama on Sun 16/Apr/06 9:22am

SlackBoy wrote:
Tama wrote: Jeff Anderson at Kiwibikes - www.jeffson.co.nz has been doing a few lately. I've been toying with the idea of a singlespeed cyclocross - which is pretty much a 29er with drop bars.

Get some Mary bars off Honeymonster instead of drops. Being a person that rides fairly upright you will never ever want to use the drops
Yar - that's not bad advice. I 'm just curious about the whole "drop bar" thing - but not wanting to get into the matching factory lycra side of things ;)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby honeymonster on Sun 16/Apr/06 11:00am

Tama wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:

Yar - that's not bad advice. I 'm just curious about the whole "drop bar" thing - but not wanting to get into the matching factory lycra side of things ;)

Mary's will go well on a crosser. I'll have a few sets in as soon as Brant gets tem on a flight here. I'll have a set of moustache bars and a set of flared drops too. One of these is going on the new crosser after the moonride. Haven't decided which.

I'll have these frames/forks in next month...
It's a b*stard son of a roadie/crosser/MTB and can be run fixed/single/geared with discs. And cheap as chips :thumbsup:

Not forgetting the Pace rigid 29er carbon forks, and later this year there might just be Pace 29er suspension forks too.

Is that enough advertising? :blush:
honeymonster
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby C-BASS on Sun 16/Apr/06 6:55pm

Good to see all you 29ers out there!

Don't tell my wife but I'm dreaming of getting a custom DEAN 29er [and may actually pull the trigger]. Too bad my Paragon is yellow and not brushed Ti - cuz then she'd never know I changed frames!! :>)
C-BASS

29er's In Chch

Postby nzkiwiguy on Tue 6/Jun/06 1:17pm

There are at least 10 29er riders down here various rigs.

I have a titus racer-x ti 29er and a waltworks steel hardtail 29er.

My next ride will be a SS 29er (but not rigid fork) - steel for sure.
nzkiwiguy
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Slim on Tue 6/Jun/06 1:21pm

I've got a Surly karate monkey SS in CHCH :) there is certainly a few about down here.

What fork are you planning on running, I'd like to kit mine out with a sus fork at some point.
Slim

Postby scatter on Tue 6/Jun/06 1:30pm

Yah, what 29er sus forks are available? Only ones I know of for sure are Marzocchi, any others?
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby CleverNickName on Tue 6/Jun/06 1:34pm

Rock Shox make a Reba 29er
CleverNickName
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Slim on Tue 6/Jun/06 1:35pm

Your too short for a 29er Scatter, is it for Tim?? Oh and I am going to see your frame at 7.00, I'll call you after, I'll take some photos and the serial number ;)

there is a guy in CHCH running Mavricks on a 29er but I don't want that much travel and the all mountains by Marz are hard to come by.

Apparently Reba's work but the set I looked at would struggle.
Slim

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts