Re: Calling All 29er Riders - 29er Talk

Postby thekiwi on Tue 22/May/12 9:33am

Fair enough.

Ive recently gone from a composite 26" hardtail to a 29er Hard Tail (XTC Composite) and am utterly amazed at what I can cover in what I would normally only consider doing on a Fully.

* Uphill. Just being on a 29er the traction is incredible and by far surpasses my 26" bike ... and thats with noting special in terms of tyre pressure.
* Agility "in the air". I cant really explain it but I find the air time, landing etc Ive done on the 29er is worlds apart from the 26" (both Giants). On the 26" if you got air in a race, the landing would almost always be harsh, make lots of noise and rattle the bones. For some reason that just doesnt happen on the 29er ... in fact my confidence in throwing the thing around is way way higher.
* Over rough ground I honestly dont think Id use a fully (always the exception as there is always somehting really really rough) but for what Id use a 29er for ... I couldnt see the need for a fully.

For me (racing XC and epic type rides) I think the perfect setup would be a 29er hard tail and a fully 26" ... the big wheels for the open flowing terrain, and the 26 to get a lighter frame in fully config.

PS.
Ive riden the Specialized, Trek and Giant Hard Tails and my order of preference would be
Giant
Specialized / Trek

but thats because I prefer a very responsive bike and hence the angles of the Giants are attractive to me. I like to flick it around, steer where I want it to go and have it go there quickly.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Zoom on Tue 22/May/12 10:49am

Hey Vert - totally agree on a fully for the longer stuff, as you pointed out they are more comfortable and great as they cover up mistakes you make when you are tired.

Over 5 or 6 hours of rough terrain I find I get pretty tired on my HT and come out in much better shape if I am on my fully.

I am constantly amazed at what I can do on HT 29er...but it doesn't account for comfort on a long day

P.s - I am not falling into the "my bike is best" trap, co my bikes are best! :)
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Bascule on Tue 22/May/12 11:32am

VERT wrote:I have been looking through this thread, but not really finding much info, seems to be mostly people talking about exotic hardtails or putting ghetto bikes together.

Reviews on websites always seem to be quite bias, I have had a read of that twentynine inches website and they seem to love all bikes they get given to test.

So I figure my next best bet is to ask real people what they think and also Demo bikes. I have found RnR Sport have a Demo Anthem, who else has Demo bikes of the above in Wellington?

Was thinking fully for XC because most of XC I do is long rides/races. I want something a bit more cushy for long days in the saddle. I dont really want to get a carbon bike either.

I don't 'trust' the online reviews either, but if you read a lot of reviews of the same bike you get an idea of its relative strengths. Also, reading a lot of reviews from the same people gives you a sense of their priorities, and you can compare those against your own. For example, twentynineinches were critical of the long chainstays on the Anthem as they thought it felt 'dead' when pedaling out of the saddle: personally I do almost all my climbing seated so the longer back end didn't put me off when considering the bike. I spend time looking at reviews on the basis that a short ride isn't enough to tell me everything I need to know - and I can't always get a demo ride on the bikes I'm interested in.

Wellington demo bikes - try Burkes or VIC Cycles for Specialized, and Giant. Pennys is doing a deal with the Anthem X0 where you pay another $1k to upgrade to a set of carbon wheels - awfully tempting if one has the cash. Bike Hutt in Upper Hutt stock the Fishers - and were doing demo bikes last I heard.

I've spent a bit of time on an Epic and a small amount of time on an older Fisher Hi-Fi (the predecessor of the Superfly). My take on these two bikes:
Epic: more of a race bike in terms of geometry (especially the seat tube angle), climbs REALLY well (the Brain works here, I feel), the rear wheel locks up easily on the downhills, much more so than any other fully I've ridden. Nice frame and wheels, but not great value for money compared to the Anthem (X7 drivetrain and shifters, Elixir 5s - this is the 2011 model).
HiFi: sits somewhere between the Anthem and Epic in terms of geometry and all-round ability, also pedals very well, the G2 front end takes a little getting used to but does speed the steering up if you're worried about a 29er being 'slow' steering (which I don't find an issue on the Anthem anyway).

PS: I'd been unsure about going to a 2x10 drivetrain (which the Anthem and Epic have for 2012 models) but after 9 months riding the Anthem I"m convinced. We ride Makara Peak / Transient - Barking Emu / Wainuiomata and for these trails the ratios work really well, and cuts out a significant amount of changing between the small and middle chainrings.
Bascule
"It's not rocket science."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby kaiteri on Tue 22/May/12 8:17pm

Have been riding an Anthem X 29er (fully) for over a year now. Kept my Trance in the stable because I was initially a bit wary of the steeper head angle on the Anthem on the gnarlier descents. Now I've gotten used to it, it's my go-to bike.
For a fully, it's light and when locked out, climbs like a HT. Ideal bike for the all day epics.
Thought about getting some lighter wheels but, as the Giant rims can run tubeless, I'll just get the conversion kit.
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby thekiwi on Tue 22/May/12 9:24pm

kaiteri wrote:Have been riding an Anthem X 29er (fully) for over a year now. Kept my Trance in the stable because I was initially a bit wary of the steeper head angle on the Anthem on the gnarlier descents. Now I've gotten used to it, it's my go-to bike.
For a fully, it's light and when locked out, climbs like a HT. Ideal bike for the all day epics.
Thought about getting some lighter wheels but, as the Giant rims can run tubeless, I'll just get the conversion kit.
i
Are those the p-xc2's?
Ive read that the best kit is the Bontrager Rhythm symmetrical strips, but haven't found any available in NZ yet.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby kaiteri on Tue 22/May/12 10:03pm

thekiwi wrote:
kaiteri wrote:Have been riding an Anthem X 29er (fully) for over a year now. Kept my Trance in the stable because I was initially a bit wary of the steeper head angle on the Anthem on the gnarlier descents. Now I've gotten used to it, it's my go-to bike.
i
Are those the p-xc2's?
Ive read that the best kit is the Bontrager Rhythm symmetrical strips, but haven't found any available in NZ yet.

Yep.
Should mention that one thing that made a big difference to my confidence in downhilling this bike was fitting a seat dropper. But I'm a bit of a wuss.
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Tue 22/May/12 10:54pm

thekiwi wrote:
i
Are those the p-xc2's?

Try a Trek stockist. If they cant get them they may have not made it to the country.

Has anyone else tried the Conti X-Kings? I got cornered by the rep a so got one to try. Running it on the rear in 2.2 with a Mountian king on the front. They Hook up really well and I like the feel (work well together bonus). It did squirm around some acouple of times, that could be down to me dropping to the pressure I'd have run before and a slow leak. Need a new tube and to try it some more.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby RugbySucks on Tue 22/May/12 10:58pm

My two cents worth...

Rode a 29er Anthem Demo, and liked the way it flattened the trails, was not too bad on steep climbs, noticeable traction increase etc etc .
However, did not like the way it appeared to want to stall, and fall over on tight climbing switchbacks, and seemed to require extra steering input in tight singletrack. But they descend incredibly well.

I've experimented with a 29" reba in the front of my 26" Anthem 2, and it is a fantastic endurance machine.
Covered 101 kms over 7 hours, over to the Wairarapa via Pylon track, to Featherston, then back over throught the incline, from Western lake Rd, finishing back home in the Hutt.

Also built a Full Carbon Hardtail 96er ridgid, which is a very light responsive bike, that is still comfortable over 4 hour rides, surprisingly. Ridgid Forks seem to add a real precision feel to the steering.

Just finished a Kona King Kahuna HT 29er and that rides very well.

29ers have their place, as do 96ers, and 26".

I'm glad that 29ers are available, and roll on the next big improvement to everyones riding fun !
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 23/May/12 10:09am

650b is where its at I'm told, everyone might as well sell their 29ers now.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby RugbySucks on Wed 23/May/12 10:33am

I saw a commentary from one of the manufacturers, I cannot remember which one. May have been in conjunction with a Kona review.

They mentioned that 29er was likely to be the XC size, 650B the Trail/AM wheel, and 26" for Downhill.

This supposedly to do with the strength of the wheel sizes.

Everyone will do their own thing anyway......
RugbySucks

Postby thelivo on Wed 23/May/12 10:36am

Datsane wrote:650b is where its at I'm told, everyone might as well sell their 29ers now.

Yep - 29ers are so 2 months ago.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 23/May/12 11:06am

it was obvious that as soon as you got one, 29ers would become uncool :hmmm:

Datsane wrote:650b is where its at I'm told, everyone might as well sell their 29ers now.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby R+P+K on Wed 23/May/12 1:01pm

The only thing "old" are the wheel size holy wars....
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Owen on Wed 23/May/12 1:24pm

VERT wrote:I have been looking through this thread, but not really finding much info, seems to be mostly people talking about exotic hardtails or putting ghetto bikes together.

Reviews on websites always seem to be quite bias, I have had a read of that twentynine inches website and they seem to love all bikes they get given to test.

So I figure my next best bet is to ask real people what they think and also Demo bikes. I have found RnR Sport have a Demo Anthem, who else has Demo bikes of the above in Wellington?

Was thinking fully for XC because most of XC I do is long rides/races. I want something a bit more cushy for long days in the saddle. I dont really want to get a carbon bike either.

iPride has an Epic 29er and Camber 29er in your size, both alloy. The fork for my bike will arrive soon, so you are also welcome to take that for a spin.
Owen
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby RugbySucks on Wed 23/May/12 3:56pm

Interesting info on the SRAM site about their new 650B wheels and Forks.
RugbySucks

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts