44%
Forester
22%
Toughen up and bike to the ski-field
16%

Total voters : 45

Re: Caldina(4wd), Legacy Or Forester

Postby nostromo on Wed 13/Apr/11 7:45pm

urbanfreeride wrote:Sorry i CBF reading all the previous posts but having worked in the automotive industry for seven years i'd just like to say the following:
Subarus have alot more problems than toyotas as a general.
Caldinas are much more reliable IF you DON'T play with the boost (If it's turbo) and service it reguarly like any other car. However if you don't care about reliability then and not spending the money to replace the motor when it blows then it's personal preference and practicality to you.
The only caldina i've seen the engine replaced on is a diesel that had 350k on the clock and several turbo ones that had the boost wound up and had been poorely maintained. I can't count the number of subarus that i've seen had the motors replaced on, some because of winding up the boost but some non turbo ones that have been serviced perfectly and still shit themselves.
Ask any mechanic that doesn't work for subaru and they'll tell you not to go down the subaru route.

I was following a lovely shiny one around Manfield on a track day once and it came to halt, inspections revealed a rod had jumped out of the motor. Last time I saw that sort of carry on was on a hillman Superminx :crazy:
Nice to drive though, and very good safety ratings (one of the top considerations I think)
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Wed 13/Apr/11 7:52pm

Nick_K wrote:
nostromo wrote:4WD is a bit pointless for the most part unless theres a specific need.

I don't know where the supposed extra safety thing comes from, load of bollocks from the Subaru marketing dept I guess.

GUB's poll talks about getting up to the ski fields. I wouldn't want to take a 2wd up Canty skifield roads in Winter.
Harden up I used to take an 81 bluebird wagon into all them places and more back in the day, except Mt Olympus, you may want a 4wd for that if there's a bit of snow about...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby urbanfreeride on Wed 13/Apr/11 7:56pm

nostromo wrote:
urbanfreeride wrote:Sorry i CBF reading all the previous posts but having worked in the automotive industry for seven years i'd just like to say the following:
Subarus have alot more problems than toyotas as a general.
Caldinas are much more reliable IF you DON'T play with the boost (If it's turbo) and service it reguarly like any other car. However if you don't care about reliability then and not spending the money to replace the motor when it blows then it's personal preference and practicality to you.
The only caldina i've seen the engine replaced on is a diesel that had 350k on the clock and several turbo ones that had the boost wound up and had been poorely maintained. I can't count the number of subarus that i've seen had the motors replaced on, some because of winding up the boost but some non turbo ones that have been serviced perfectly and still shit themselves.
Ask any mechanic that doesn't work for subaru and they'll tell you not to go down the subaru route.

I was following a lovely shiny one around Manfield on a track day once and it came to halt, inspections revealed a rod had jumped out of the motor. Last time I saw that sort of carry on was on a hillman Superminx :crazy:
Nice to drive though, and very good safety ratings (one of the top considerations I think)

Sorry, a lovely shiny........?
urbanfreeride
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby nostromo on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:01pm

2nd Gen RS Legacy, was a while back, but still, throwing rods..
nostromo

Postby urbanfreeride on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:08pm

thought that's where you were heading. Don't get me wrong. I love the look of the bug eye WRX's and they are beautiful to drive - Just unreliable.
Rods, bearings, Head Gaskets and Valves are the main issues.
urbanfreeride

Postby Conners on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:12pm

urbanfreeride wrote:Rods, bearings, Head Gaskets and Valves Over-boosting is the main issue.

;)
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby jeyboi on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:16pm

urbanfreeride wrote:thought that's where you were heading. Don't get me wrong. I love the look of the bug eye WRX's and they are beautiful to drive - Just unreliable.
Rods, bearings, Head Gaskets and Valves are the main issues.

Rubbish.

If some dweeb has decided they know better than the folk at FHI and fits a boost tap and the engine drops it's lunch, it's hardly a sign of it being unreliable - it's just not idiot proof. Same goes for running 95RON fuel, crap oil, and poor maintenance. Some cars are a little more tolerant of abuse (evos spring to mind), but the EJ207 is a pretty decent block (certainly a heap better than the 1st gen version with the troublesome hydraulic lifters...)
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby urbanfreeride on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:22pm

as previously posted:

urbanfreeride wrote:I can't count the number of subarus that i've seen had the motors replaced on, some because of winding up the boost but some non turbo ones that have been serviced perfectly and still shit themselves.

No shit the main problem is overboosting. That goes for any turbod vehicle. End of the day Subarus aren't as reliable.
urbanfreeride

Postby jeyboi on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:46pm

urbanfreeride wrote:I can't count the number of subarus that i've seen had the motors replaced on, some because of winding up the boost but some non turbo ones that have been serviced perfectly and still shit themselves.

Yeah, nah.

I can count the number of Subaru's I've replaced the motors on - and as an ex mechanic (who never worked for Subaru or an affiliated company), the only reason I don't own a Subaru now is the cost of fuel. I've seen a shitload of VR4 Legumes in for engine/gearbox work, and a lot of Caldinas for major engine work (ie. replacement) too... ;)
jeyboi

Postby urbanfreeride on Wed 13/Apr/11 8:57pm

So you're saying that you have replaced more caldina motors than subarus? Congrats! you must be the only mechanic in the country outside of toyota to ba able to stake that claim.
urbanfreeride

Postby jeyboi on Wed 13/Apr/11 9:12pm

Yeah, you obviously know more about this than I do... as you were. :thumbsup:
jeyboi

Postby oldandlazy on Wed 13/Apr/11 9:15pm

rmare wrote:Subarus are fun to drive but thirsty, expensive to fix and need fixing alot. Don't expect a subaru to go over 150,000km, it will really start to pack in after that. Have only heard good things about the Caldinas -though I'd imagine fuel economy probably not great on any of the vehicles listed.

My first one did 50k before I even put oil in it. It needed it - I just didn't get around to putting it in. The odometer was sitting on 210k when I passed it on.

My second got to 282k before I decided it wasn't worth repairing. It would have been sweet for another wee while if I'd bothered replacing some CV joints (which had needed doing for about 80k).
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 13/Apr/11 9:25pm

oldandlazy wrote:
rmare wrote:Subarus are fun to drive but thirsty, expensive to fix and need fixing alot. Don't expect a subaru to go over 150,000km, it will really start to pack in after that. Have only heard good things about the Caldinas -though I'd imagine fuel economy probably not great on any of the vehicles listed.

My first one did 50k before I even put oil in it. It needed it - I just didn't get around to putting it in.

You sound like an awesome mechanic. Anyone who disregards you opinion is clearly a fool.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby nostromo on Wed 13/Apr/11 9:47pm

jeyboi wrote:Some cars are a little more tolerant of abuse (evos spring to mind)

4G63 FTW :thumbsup:
nostromo

Postby j2hyde on Wed 13/Apr/11 10:22pm

Back on topic. The OP wanted a car to drive up skifield roads. And anyone that reckons a caldina is better than a legacy, forester or outback on rough, snow covered dirt roads is, in short, a fucking retard. They are also wrong. A landcruiser is much better again, but that's not on the OP's list of things to consider.

I've seen plenty of Toyotas worn out and fucked over in less than 100K. And I've seen plenty of Subis happily go well over 300k. It's less to do with the brand, and more to do with where/how they are used, and a little thing called maintenance. ISHTH :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts