Forester
22%
Toughen up and bike to the ski-field
16%

Total voters : 45

Re: Caldina(4wd), Legacy Or Forester

Postby scatter on Wed 13/Apr/11 10:23am

catmannz wrote:Twin turbos are great for overtaking but murder on fuel economy

Not if you nurse 'em. Used to get 500 around town in my RS if I was a good girl. Otherwise, it was more like 430 (and 320 if I was being really silly).
I miss my RS :(
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby danose on Wed 13/Apr/11 11:00am

scatter wrote:Not if you nurse 'em. Used to get 500 around town in my RS if I was a good girl. Otherwise, it was more like 430 (and 320 if I was being really silly).

mate manged a whole tank going up to hanmer and back in his (320km) - but he did admit it was a rather incredibly fast trip :D
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13/Apr/11 11:22am

danose wrote:
scatter wrote:Not if you nurse 'em. Used to get 500 around town in my RS if I was a good girl. Otherwise, it was more like 430 (and 320 if I was being really silly).

mate manged a whole tank going up to hanmer and back in his (320km) - but he did admit it was a rather incredibly fast trip :D

Me old mate Steve once used a whole 80l tank in his Statesman getting to Kaikoura. :crazy:
Mind you it did have a 800hp 383 small block Chev in it. :satan:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby wuffy on Wed 13/Apr/11 11:31am

Lets face it, You don't buy a V8 for the fuel economy :paranoid:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby bugle on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:15pm

Snap, mines just rolling over 180K as well. Only thing it's needed on top of normal 15+ yr old car stuff is a turbo (and 15+ yrs @ 300,000 RPM is pretty damn good)
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:20pm

Pfffft, my Isuzu had 870,000 on the clock without the engine ever being lifted - just oil/filters/injectors done on a regular basis, no head/block work at all :love: Still ran like a dream too - though compression was down a bit towards the end. Servicing is the key :)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:27pm

wuffy wrote:Lets face it, You don't buy a V8 for the fuel economy :paranoid:

True, they are for setting off badly set up car alarms in parking buildings, like my old V8 Valiant CM SE used to. :cool:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby herbman on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:28pm

am i the only one who holds on to cars these days?

my 89 subbie had 400,000 on the clock when i sold it on and the the new owner is still driving it now with over 500.000 on the clock, and apart from cambelts and a clutch at 300.000 it was not looked after all that well.

our "new" subbie is over 300.000 and has only had the cambelt done at 300,000 and some new shockys as we live off a gravel road and i like to trash it up works drive. 4WD plus gravel = WIN

where as im not to sure if my isuzu will do as well as we have just had to get the injector pump rebuilt at 260.000
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:48pm

herbman wrote:am i the only one who holds on to cars these days?

my 89 subbie had 400,000 on the clock when i sold it on and the the new owner is still driving it now with over 500.000 on the clock, and apart from cambelts and a clutch at 300.000 it was not looked after all that well.

our "new" subbie is over 300.000 and has only had the cambelt done at 300,000 and some new shockys as we live off a gravel road and i like to trash it up works drive. 4WD plus gravel = WIN

where as im not to sure if my isuzu will do as well as we have just had to get the injector pump rebuilt at 260.000

I generally get rid of them when they stop working (call me old fashioned . . . . :p )
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:50pm

I'd most likely still have my old Subie if teh numpty hadnt written it off. :angry:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby herbman on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:53pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:

I generally get rid of them when they stop working (call me old fashioned . . . . :p )

thats how i work, resale value is a odd word to me with little meaning :D
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Wed 13/Apr/11 3:39pm

Another 4wd wagon option:
WC34 series Nissan Stagea RS FOUR (Skyline wagon) with the common RB25 motor
or the later M35 series with the V6 motor (the 3.5l version puts out 200kW NA)
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby urbanfreeride on Wed 13/Apr/11 4:43pm

Sorry i CBF reading all the previous posts but having worked in the automotive industry for seven years i'd just like to say the following:
Subarus have alot more problems than toyotas as a general.
Caldinas are much more reliable IF you DON'T play with the boost (If it's turbo) and service it reguarly like any other car. However if you don't care about reliability then and not spending the money to replace the motor when it blows then it's personal preference and practicality to you.
The only caldina i've seen the engine replaced on is a diesel that had 350k on the clock and several turbo ones that had the boost wound up and had been poorely maintained. I can't count the number of subarus that i've seen had the motors replaced on, some because of winding up the boost but some non turbo ones that have been serviced perfectly and still shit themselves.
Ask any mechanic that doesn't work for subaru and they'll tell you not to go down the subaru route.
urbanfreeride
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 13/Apr/11 5:05pm

:hmmm:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 13/Apr/11 5:15pm

urbanfreeride wrote:Sorry i CBF reading all the previous posts but having worked in the automotive industry for seven years i'd just like to say the following:
Subarus have alot more problems than toyotas as a general.
Caldinas are much more reliable IF you DON'T play with the boost (If it's turbo) and service it reguarly like any other car. However if you don't care about reliability then and not spending the money to replace the motor when it blows then it's personal preference and practicality to you.
The only caldina i've seen the engine replaced on is a diesel that had 350k on the clock and several turbo ones that had the boost wound up and had been poorely maintained. I can't count the number of subarus that i've seen had the motors replaced on, some because of winding up the boost but some non turbo ones that have been serviced perfectly and still shit themselves.
Ask any mechanic that doesn't work for subaru and they'll tell you not to go down the subaru route.

I was getting at that, but the subie owners were getting defensive. :lol:

...and really, I know fuck all about cars. :blush:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts