44%
Forester
22%
Toughen up and bike to the ski-field
16%

Total voters : 45

Re: Caldina(4wd), Legacy Or Forester

Postby scatter on Tue 12/Apr/11 10:52am

danose wrote:Having said that 2l non-turbo subarus are underpowered massively - go up to a 2.5 or bigger if you don't like playing russian roulette every time you overtake

Stay away from the 2.5L Outback though, especially in an auto. Underpowered and heavy so subsequently hard on the wallet & on the brakes. Also hideous to ride in the back of. Biggest piece of crap I've ever owned :hmmm:

The 3.0L seems to go a whole lot better though.....
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Apr/11 11:12am

Spyder wrote:Nope. That would help obviously, but brings plenty of other hassles.

What hassles? :eh:

The Viaduct was one of the places my old cars brakes complained as well, and I had a trailer with bikes and tents and BBQ's and stuff in it on the back, plus 4 people in the car. :baaa:

PS: Moonroof is teh coolzor. :cool:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 12/Apr/11 11:21am

Mainly in & out of saltwater is bloody rough on all the brakey bits. That said the boat hasn't been in saltwater for a couple of summers so maybe it's just the $$$ to fit.

The viaduct & Porters (coming home) are OK so long as you start nice and slow (30 ish) and then keep that speed under control.

Really notice that the torques are made quite high in the H6 (~4k) with a decent load on. With some revs on it goes up hills like a rocket, but get caught out and even in 1st it would struggle to get out of it's own way. I shudder to think how awful a 2.5 would be....
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby nostromo on Tue 12/Apr/11 11:30am

Other options are the v6 mazda capella like i had, nice car and powerful, also the bro in law has had a great run out of his legnum (also awd and v6) which he takes up skiing lots. But both these are getting old now. The airtrek might be a good option, the awd turbo one has evo running gear..
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Apr/11 12:10pm

The 2.5 outbacks arent that bad for grunt, but they sure like the gas, as in its difficult to get more than 400k from the 55l tank! :crazy:

I once managed to use a tank in the old 2.0 VZ I had in only 385ish k's, but that was booting it to Picton with a big box trailer on the back full of bikes and stuffs. :sneaky:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby j2hyde on Tue 12/Apr/11 12:10pm

For skiifield roads I reckon the best options are either 3L outback or a forester. I've got a manual forester and it's been up every club field road in some very dodgy conditions. The extra clearance is great you don't have to wait for them to clear the road after a big dump, just put the chains on and motor up.

For the 350 other days a year when you're not going up dodgy dirt roads the fuel consumption and higher center of gravity might get annoying. But that's the compromise you make, and they're still much cheaper to run and nicer to drive around town than a full size 4WD. FWIW Caldina's are no match for a subi on rough dirt roads.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby herbman on Tue 12/Apr/11 1:05pm

Scotty wrote:Had my 96 Caldina for the past 130000kms. Doesn't owe me much in the mechanical dept apart from the usual WOF and regos... aaaaand when a timing belt went. Best part about that is it was only four hundy to fix, rather than killing the engine completely.

Handles like a boat, but only because I haven't bothered to get the shockies sorted.

Subbies are good, but in my opinion you have to be willing to service them regularly and be willing to pay a bit more when you do because they tend to be a pain the arse to work on.

I think they're all pretty good to be honest. :)

i don't think our subbie would have cost anymore to service than a caldina, hell they are not that hard to work on and parts are cheap. i did a cambelt, water pump and seals in less that 4 hours last year and it was the first time i had done a cambelt on a subbie.
herbman
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Apr/11 1:39pm

herbman wrote:
Scotty wrote:Had my 96 Caldina for the past 130000kms. Doesn't owe me much in the mechanical dept apart from the usual WOF and regos... aaaaand when a timing belt went. Best part about that is it was only four hundy to fix, rather than killing the engine completely.

Handles like a boat, but only because I haven't bothered to get the shockies sorted.

Subbies are good, but in my opinion you have to be willing to service them regularly and be willing to pay a bit more when you do because they tend to be a pain the arse to work on.

I think they're all pretty good to be honest. :)

i don't think our subbie would have cost anymore to service than a caldina, hell they are not that hard to work on and parts are cheap. i did a cambelt, water pump and seals in less that 4 hours last year and it was the first time i had done a cambelt on a subbie.

What he said. :thumbsup:
Most Kiwi's are amzingly slack when it comes to servicing cars, so its no wonder they break down if you dont take care of them. :huh:
Change the oil/ fluids regularly, and she'll be sweet au. :baaa:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Harley on Tue 12/Apr/11 3:19pm

Definitely get 4WD/AWD for the club fields. No real downside - except perhaps a touch thirstier.

I have a 2.5L Legacy and it goes well (a bit thirsty around town but horses for courses - if you're worried about that, buy a 1.3L runabout or a scooter). My old man has a Forester which I've driven a bit, so I'm in a pretty good position to comment.

As to Legacy/Forester, it's that old trade off about ground clearance vs body roll. If you're a super keen skiier and/or drive off-road heaps, get the Forester. However, the Legacy is better for on-road driving, particularly long haul trips. The Forester has a bit more of the body roll about it - still fine though.

I agree with earlier comments - a mate with a 2L Legacy wishes he got the 2.5L. I don't see a need for 3L unless you're towing a big boat.
Harley
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Gorse on Tue 12/Apr/11 5:29pm

danose wrote:
Gorse wrote:2WD version gets 430km in town and 600km from 55l tank.

eh! our 250t (which ain't the worlds most economical 4wd wagon) get 450km in town and 650km open road from a 50l tank - what the hell have they done to that toyota to make it so thirsty! God knows how bad the 4wd version is...

Bit misleading - has a 55l tank but usually only takes around 50-52l to fill. Had 720km out of a tank once; 430km is fairly lead footed, lots o hills etc.. I hate 4-cog autos, they're never in the right gear...
Gorse
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Ohskidths on Tue 12/Apr/11 9:35pm

I have a 03 forester, is the 2.5 non turbo and has been a good. I am not sure if all models come with roof racks but when I brought mine had rhino racks which are great for throwing gear on the roof and keeping the car free for people. The hi/lo box is also good for towing decent loads manages to pull a tandem trailer load of fire wood up through steep paddocks no worries. Economy isn't brilliant but seems better than friends 2.0 litre non turbo.
Ohskidths
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby northernmonkey on Tue 12/Apr/11 10:22pm

I've got a Scooby legacy (3l GT6), very happy with it, have also got a 3.2v6 Vectra which is a dog by comparison.... Both use a similar amount of gas overall but the sub is better around town so the 4wd doesn't seem to be too big a premium (chain drive too so no nasty cam belt snapping surprises)....
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby catmannz on Wed 13/Apr/11 12:06am

I've got a Legacy B4 RSK and love it to bits. Fantastic on the open road and great for long distance driving. Good bootspace too - I can break down my mtbike and fit it in there easily. Also has good back seat space which is handy if you have rugrats to move around.

But having said that it's not exactly economical on fuel. Truth be told it's a thirsty SOB and if it wasn't for the fact I bike to work it'd probably cost me a 2nd mortgage to use it for commuting.

Twin turbos are great for overtaking but murder on fuel economy
catmannz
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby rmare on Wed 13/Apr/11 10:15am

Subarus are fun to drive but thirsty, expensive to fix and need fixing alot. Don't expect a subaru to go over 150,000km, it will really start to pack in after that. Have only heard good things about the Caldinas -though I'd imagine fuel economy probably not great on any of the vehicles listed.
rmare
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Wed 13/Apr/11 10:22am

rmare wrote: Don't expect a subaru to go over 150,000km, it will really start to pack in after that.

Mines done 188k and is running fine, has full service history though...
phunk
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts