Forester
22%
Toughen up and bike to the ski-field
16%

Total voters : 45

Re: Caldina(4wd), Legacy Or Forester

Postby Spyder on Tue 12/Apr/11 7:30am

Nick_K wrote:
nostromo wrote:4WD is a bit pointless for the most part unless theres a specific need.

I don't know where the supposed extra safety thing comes from, load of bollocks from the Subaru marketing dept I guess.

GUB's poll talks about getting up to the ski fields. I wouldn't want to take a 2wd up Canty skifield roads in Winter.

Mt Hutt & Porters are fine with 2wd, but I would think that for the club fields you would want something 4wdier. But a Legacy/Caldina wouldn't really help there because you've got no ground clearance, so that would steer you towards a manual Forester if that's where you are wanting to go.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 12/Apr/11 8:06am

We got a (2006 non turbo)forester, to appease the saftey requirements of Her who must be obeyed, the higher wheelbase so I can get to some surf spots, and the 4wd for skiing and surfing. It's a great car. Faultless really. Lots of storage space, comfortable, but not too large
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Tue 12/Apr/11 8:30am

nostromo wrote:I don't know where the supposed extra safety thing comes from, load of bollocks from the Subaru marketing dept I guess.

The fact that AWD Subies stick like shit to a blanket on any surface is where it comes from ;)
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby danose on Tue 12/Apr/11 8:43am

Gorse wrote:2WD version gets 430km in town and 600km from 55l tank.

eh! our 250t (which ain't the worlds most economical 4wd wagon) get 450km in town and 650km open road from a 50l tank - what the hell have they done to that toyota to make it so thirsty! God knows how bad the 4wd version is...
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby danose on Tue 12/Apr/11 8:45am

Conners wrote:
nostromo wrote:I don't know where the supposed extra safety thing comes from, load of bollocks from the Subaru marketing dept I guess.

The fact that AWD Subies stick like shit to a blanket on any surface is where it comes from ;)

yep - would never go back to a fwd vehicle now - you can chuck an awd into corners so much better

of course if you never drive on the open road you may as well save the $$$ and get a fwd
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby bugle on Tue 12/Apr/11 8:52am

Legacy all the way

My GT is a bit thirsty but it is the best road trip car ever, lots of room and tons of go even when full bikes/kids/people/rubbish/furniture. Plenty of parts around for Leggys and most mechs can fix them without too much drama

You wont regret a turbo legacy on a cold winters morning :satan:

They've dropped out of the top 5 stolen, Silvia (S14 and S15) are now top o the charts with V8 Aussies and WRX
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby HarryPlatt on Tue 12/Apr/11 9:01am

What about the Legacy on stilts, the Outback, if your worried about ground clearance but don't want a forester.
HarryPlatt
"http://hpsauce555.blogspot.co.nz/"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Apr/11 9:05am

Trail wrote:Percy, that was teh Subaru that had sucky brakes!! The brakes in teh Caldina were fine...

Oh. :paranoid:

Maybe I drove a Caldina with dodgy brakes, and you drove a Legacy with dodgy brakes! :D

My old Legacy had good brakes untill you loaded it up and started hooning at open road speeds, then they faded pretty quick when being enthusiastic with them, so I stuck some GT calipers and rotors on it, then it was teh awsome sauce. :satan:

Sounds like the Legacy you drove was dodgy all round if the Caldina was better on gravel, maybe the shocks were poked, that would make anything horrible on gravel. :eh: :o :crazy:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Spyder on Tue 12/Apr/11 9:24am

I think the worst aspect of my Legacy is the brakes. They are absolutely fine 98% of the time, but they develop quite a pulse at the bottom of the viaduct with the boat etc on. Might have to look at a performance upgrade at some point.

Outbacks vs Foresters is valid except if you want a manual transmission.
Spyder

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 12/Apr/11 9:30am

Spyder wrote:I think the worst aspect of my Legacy is the brakes. They are absolutely fine 98% of the time, but they develop quite a pulse at the bottom of the viaduct with the boat etc on. Might have to look at a performance upgrade at some point.

Outbacks vs Foresters is valid except if you want a manual transmission.

Does yer boat trailer have brakes?
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Spyder on Tue 12/Apr/11 9:34am

Nope. That would help obviously, but brings plenty of other hassles.
Spyder

Postby NickCW on Tue 12/Apr/11 10:23am

Had a 98 2l forester for about a year now. Most people think they look like a horse with no teeth, but I like them.
Its not too bad on gas, hovers around the 9-10l 100km mark

If you are accustomed to bike tetris (and aren't too worried about the fulla in the back) it easy fits 3 people, 3 bikes + gear, but it is a tad smaller than most.

Regarding the comments made about its gutlessness, its all relative. Feels like a fuckin' rocketship compared to the manly 1.3l barina I used to drive (sadly it ended life upside down). Which brings me to my next point, the forester is quite tall inside, and if the roof crushed in I'd like to think there would still be comfortable headroom.

It also has a moonroof, which should be the main reason for purchasing a car
NickCW
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 12/Apr/11 10:27am

Conners wrote:

But where is the fun in that? RWD for the win, just drift those pesky corners, more points for linking up multiple sets of corners :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 12/Apr/11 10:33am

pushbikerider wrote:
Conners wrote:

But where is the fun in that? RWD for the win, just drift those pesky corners, more points for linking up multiple sets of corners :thumbsup:

Two for turning - two for burning :D
Spyder

Postby Scotty on Tue 12/Apr/11 10:40am

Had my 96 Caldina for the past 130000kms. Doesn't owe me much in the mechanical dept apart from the usual WOF and regos... aaaaand when a timing belt went. Best part about that is it was only four hundy to fix, rather than killing the engine completely.

Handles like a boat, but only because I haven't bothered to get the shockies sorted.

Subbies are good, but in my opinion you have to be willing to service them regularly and be willing to pay a bit more when you do because they tend to be a pain the arse to work on.

I think they're all pretty good to be honest. :)
Scotty
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts