Re: Caldina(4wd), Legacy Or Forester

Postby scatter on Thu 14/Apr/11 7:18am

Landcruiser FTW!
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 14/Apr/11 7:36am

Buy a Jeep, then a little light will come up on the dash when 500kms from home and fun times will ensue..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby kneemick on Thu 14/Apr/11 9:09am

I has a forester - been played with (computer, big bore, bigger turbo and intercooler etc so it delivers quite a few more horses than it was intended to have) and in about 90000 kms have not had any trouble with it, but I will confess it is serviced more often than is probably necessary. Would not hesitate to get another. :)
kneemick
"In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 14/Apr/11 9:45am

j2hyde wrote:Back on topic. The OP wanted a car to drive up skifield roads. And anyone that reckons a caldina is better than a legacy, forester or outback on rough, snow covered dirt roads is, in short, a fucking retard. They are also wrong. A landcruiser is much better again, but that's not on the OP's list of things to consider.

I've seen plenty of Toyotas worn out and fucked over in less than 100K. And I've seen plenty of Subis happily go well over 300k. It's less to do with the brand, and more to do with where/how they are used, and a little thing called maintenance. ISHTH :)

What he said. :thumbsup:

As soon as mine hit 100000k I would change the oil and filter every 5000k, still thrashed the neigh neighs off it till it got killed at 227000k, was still running schweet.
It did have a tendency to eat clutches though, thats more to do with teh nutbar driving it, and what inppropriate things said nutbar was doing with the car than anything else. :paranoid:

As for which brand is more reliable than any other in Jap Imports, its a lottery as we have very little idea whats been done, or more importantly not been done, to the car before it hit the boat over to here.
I might point out that Subaru was up in the top 3 most reliable new cars in teh NZ last time I checked, and was ahead of Toyota, but behind Ford.
Thinkign about that, what would those survey people know anyway, putting Fraud ahead of Toymota and Scoobydo? :blink:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 14/Apr/11 9:52am

Percy Pig wrote:
j2hyde wrote:Back on topic. The OP wanted a car to drive up skifield roads. And anyone that reckons a caldina is better than a legacy, forester or outback on rough, snow covered dirt roads is, in short, a fucking retard. They are also wrong. A landcruiser is much better again, but that's not on the OP's list of things to consider.

I've seen plenty of Toyotas worn out and fucked over in less than 100K. And I've seen plenty of Subis happily go well over 300k. It's less to do with the brand, and more to do with where/how they are used, and a little thing called maintenance. ISHTH :)

What he said. :thumbsup:

As soon as mine hit 100000k I would change the oil and filter every 5000k, still thrashed the neigh neighs off it till it got killed at 227000k, was still running schweet.
It did have a tendency to eat clutches though, thats more to do with teh nutbar driving it, and what inppropriate things said nutbar was doing with the car than anything else. :paranoid:

As for which brand is more reliable than any other in Jap Imports, its a lottery as we have very little idea whats been done, or more importantly not been done, to the car before it hit the boat over to here.
I might point out that Subaru was up in the top 3 most reliable new cars in teh NZ last time I checked, and was ahead of Toyota, but behind Ford.
Thinkign about that, what would those survey people know anyway, putting Fraud ahead of Toymota and Scoobydo? :blink:

:hmmm:
not new for this OP
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby scatter on Thu 14/Apr/11 9:53am

Don't matter what you get.....get a 3-year warranty with it too (have done so for all Subaru's and Toyota's I have owned).....sorted :)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 17/Apr/11 9:58pm

Had a 96 caldina 4x4 manual never a problem until it needed a new clutch $ 2K have to take the engine out to change it! it did have 160k on though.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Sun 17/Apr/11 10:05pm

scatter wrote:Don't matter what you get.....get a 3-year warranty with it too (have done so for all Subaru's and Toyota's I have owned).....sorted :)

+1
Having made a substantial (as in $5k worth of work) claim under a $500 warranty on a Jap import, I would definitely recommend a warranty.

This also goes with Percy's comments above, with an import you really can never be sure what you're getting. Mine was AA checked prior to me purchasing it, came back all roses. 40,000 kms later it was being rebored :crazy: I dare say in the 90,000 kms it had done in Japan there hadn't been a lot of servicing going on. :eh:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 9/Jun/11 9:56pm

end result - forester x20 2.0 5spd
really nice dealer - personal impression & Tardeme feedback impressive
50K on clock. much nicer to drive than "equivilant" legacy
no probs on extensive mechanical check with AA
rechecked by own mechanic here - no probs
a pleasure to drive
from welly - wanted to support local but no one would even attempt to get near the price in chch ( "business is difficult"- yeah right!)
:)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts