Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby musket on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:21pm

yarg.
musket
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:55pm

So to sum up: yarg. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage

Postby Alf on Mon 1/Jun/09 7:20pm

duzall wrote:
To prevent it-try some more "gentle" detergents (I'm using ecover at the moment and it seems ok so far) and make sure they're rinsed off properly (this is what caused my problems). Obviously, change out of the bike shorts ASAP after riding. Another thing to try is to put the shorts out in the sun for a while-this is apparently supposed to kill bacteria. If it's chafing, you could try chamois cream.

On the detergent note, a good rule of thumb (and then you can rule this out of the equation) is if you can still smell the detergent on your gear once it's dry then you've used way too much. Using too much detergent could contribute to sore bits. :blink:
Alf
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Mon 1/Jun/09 7:20pm

Wipe it clean with this:
chuck-toilet-paper.jpg
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby musket on Mon 1/Jun/09 7:25pm

Oli wrote:So to sum up: yarg. :thumbsup:

I concur.
musket
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Montysdad on Tue 2/Jun/09 8:42pm

:hmmm: I found good alternative to using chamois cream is Bepanthen cream, available from baby care section at the supermarket. I use it before a ride and after showering, it protects soothes and heals skin quickly. Its a bit cheaper and more readily available when all the bike shops are closed and you want something for a sore or raw butt. As others have already suggested use an antibacterial rinse (like Canisten) in the washing of your bike gear.
Montysdad
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage

Postby taylormade on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:08pm

Alf wrote:
duzall wrote:
To prevent it-try some more "gentle" detergents (I'm using ecover at the moment and it seems ok so far) and make sure they're rinsed off properly (this is what caused my problems). Obviously, change out of the bike shorts ASAP after riding. Another thing to try is to put the shorts out in the sun for a while-this is apparently supposed to kill bacteria. If it's chafing, you could try chamois cream.

On the detergent note, a good rule of thumb (and then you can rule this out of the equation) is if you can still smell the detergent on your gear once it's dry then you've used way too much. Using too much detergent could contribute to sore bits. :blink:

Dave Zabriske (Garmin Pro)once said he uses a ultra violet light on all his bibs when they have been bulk washed with others bibs to kill any germs that maybe living in them!!!! Bit over the top.....
taylormade
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby implant on Tue 2/Jun/09 10:55pm

Montysdad wrote::hmmm: I found good alternative to using chamois cream is Bepanthen cream, available from baby care section at the supermarket. I use it before a ride and after showering, it protects soothes and heals skin quickly. Its a bit cheaper and more readily available when all the bike shops are closed and you want something for a sore or raw butt. As others have already suggested use an antibacterial rinse (like Canisten) in the washing of your bike gear.

Second that, i used Karicare nappy rash creme and it's great. Haven't done a direct comparison but suspect a lot of the more expensive bike-branded cremes will be v similar. Lasts ages too, $12 for a tub in the chemist (nappy optional)
implant
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Tue 2/Jun/09 11:02pm

3b action cream for me.
Only need it on longish rides in the rain.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 2/Jun/09 11:03pm

Montysdad wrote::hmmm: I found good alternative to using chamois cream is Bepanthen cream, available from baby care section at the supermarket. I use it before a ride and after showering, it protects soothes and heals skin quickly. Its a bit cheaper and more readily available when all the bike shops are closed and you want something for a sore or raw butt.

So do you go right up to the counter and say "Help me please! The regular shop I go to is closed and I need something to soothe my sore, raw butt!"?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Tue 2/Jun/09 11:08pm

You just pick it off the supermarket shelf and run it through the check out - they don't quiz you. :eh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Tue 2/Jun/09 11:14pm

That was pretty much it. Did a rainy century out of napier and was rather sore the next day. Went to one bike shop and they had nothing so rocked on up to a chemist and asked the nice young lady behind the counter.
happybaboon wrote:So do you go right up to the counter and say "Help me please! The regular shop I go to is closed and I need something to soothe my sore, raw butt!"?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby jimmymic on Wed 3/Jun/09 7:39am

http://www.dz-nuts.com/catalog/?p=press&v=lance - has been mentioned but well worth a visit.
jimmymic
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 11/Aug/12 9:31am

One thing that people don't realise, is that when you do long rides, or ride a lot, it can stress your immune system a little more than normal.
This results in a slightly higher bacteria count on your skin, which can then lead to stressed upper dermis. Which leads onto itching, more saddle sores than normal, or sores not healing quickly, etc.

District Nurse advised me to use Protex antibacterial soap, when any itching or chafing occurs as a result of riding.

Protex is available at any supermarket.

I had blood poisoning from a perineal abscess, which started life as a saddle sore.

The abscess had to be surgically removed, when it got to the size of an old 50c piece.

Moral of the story; Sometimes riding through the pain aint smart !!
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 11/Aug/12 10:16am

jimmymic wrote:http://www.dz-nuts.com/catalog/?p=press&v=lance - has been mentioned but well worth a visit.

I've started using this for longer rides and its niiiice :) Cool and soothing.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Health | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Sifting | Trail Riding - Latest Posts