Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:39pm

taylormade wrote:Keywin Shammy cream is the bomb, lasts for ages too. You can get it from all good bike shops. :)

agreed, if it's not a fungus tissue as oli suggested then a bit of the o'l butt creme works wonders, if i'm going to be in the saddle for anything over an hour on my roadie i creme up.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:41pm

Can you get Monkey Butt cream in NZ?. Its an anti-fungal and anti-chafe cream.
A lot of caddies use it for the dreaded cowboy syndrome :lol: Nothing funnier than looking across the fairways and seeing someone walking like a cowboy :D
Monkey Butt for the win. If not DZ Nutz is a great product too. A few guys here use it for cycling and say it works well
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:46pm

Bag Balm too... :huh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby taylormade on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:48pm

istepinyards wrote:Can you get Monkey Butt cream in NZ?. Its an anti-fungal and anti-chafe cream.
A lot of caddies use it for the dreaded cowboy syndrome :lol: Nothing funnier than looking across the fairways and seeing someone walking like a cowboy :D
Monkey Butt for the win. If not DZ Nutz is a great product too. A few guys here use it for cycling and say it works well

Zabriske did a interview with Armstrong during the Giro (on Livestrong.com), Armstrong asked him about the cremes etc and if he was going to add to the line. Zabriske in all seriousness comes out with " yeah we are looking at a womens line of creme, thinking of calling it Dz Lips" Armstrong nearly pissed himself!!! truely funny guy!!! :lol:
taylormade
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:51pm

avoid 3b chafe cream tho, has aluminum oxide in it which will block your pores and cause all sorts of issues.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby happybaboon on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:54pm

Aluminium oxide is nasty stuff. I sometimes get clogged up swollen lymph glands when I use antiperspirant (so, i stopped using it...) Unpleasant when they're under your armpits, but it'd be downright nasty having swollen glands around your groin. Errrgh.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:57pm

yeah i was a staging technician for a while and working 14hour + shifts in lovely humid auckland so used the old 3b like it was going out of fashion, ended up with blocked pores and nasty boils in really really fun places.
shmoodiver

Postby nzmatto on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:03pm

happybaboon wrote:
nzmatto wrote:I've been really lucky. I have never had any rubbing / sores / etc. The only thing I probably do different to normal folk is that I just could not quite bring myself to ride without undies, so I guess that keeps a certain amount of the little gremlins away from the chamois.

Really?! Undies + chamois would be a receipe for chaffing disaster I'd have thought...

Yeah, I know, and I totally agree. I have tried without undies a few times, but just found it uncomfortable. Weird but true.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:07pm

yeah my da rocks jocks under his chamois, don't know how he can stand it.
shmoodiver

Postby scatter on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:33pm

Have a good look at your seat for a cause of the owies. Could be that one side has collapsed slightly?

I sympathise :( It's something I constantly fight (hint to all........don't mush up your pelvis :huh: )
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby musket on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:39pm

scatter wrote:Have a good look at your seat for a cause of the owies. Could be that one side has collapsed slightly?

I sympathise :( It's something I constantly fight (hint to all........don't mush up your pelvis :huh: )

exactly. Judging by what's been described, I think all this talk of fungal infections is misguided. But it may not be the saddle that's off centre.
musket
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:52pm

While I don't think it is my saddle, I have had a few injury problems (and have been seeing Glenn). If I keep up my stretches, and try that anti-fungal stuff I should be all go. Given it is only one side, it seems like a distinct possibility that it is related to my gammy leg.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby musket on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:57pm

Cleat position is worth checking too Pete - I've been playing with mine, seems to help.

Physiological stuff harder to fix than fungal, but so much better to explain to the Missus!
musket
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:00pm

Petes got the couties, petes got the couties

This post may or may not be helpful
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:18pm

musket wrote:
scatter wrote:Have a good look at your seat for a cause of the owies. Could be that one side has collapsed slightly?

exactly. Judging by what's been described, I think all this talk of fungal infections is misguided. But it may not be the saddle that's off centre.

Of course it might not be fungal but it's certainly not misguided to suggest it might be. :eh: I have seen and head of many, many rashes/sores/etc., etc. and often it is a cause. Also, it can of course be only on one side, as your SACK usually sits to one side or the other, creating localised chafage and/or sweaty bacteria creating conditions. Also note that moist and muddy shorts are more prone to this than usual/
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Cycling | Health | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Sifting | Trail Riding - Latest Posts