Re: Building L E D Night Lights

Postby ryda on Wed 21/Jan/09 10:45pm

sorry been lacking sleep lately making me a tad grumpy :(

I did find Cutter,,....and had forgotten about dealextreme

Looking at upgrading my existing cree fitted unit.....looking at those multi-chip XLamp MC-E leds

Cheers :thumbsup:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby grahamt on Thu 5/Feb/09 8:52am

I have three LED's plus optics from a night lightening I-Blaast if anyones interested for a DIY project. Think they are Cree Q5's (240 Lumens each @ 1000ma). Upgraded mine to the new Cree R2's.
grahamt
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 5/Feb/09 9:13am

how much do you want? I could be well keen guv
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby grahamt on Thu 5/Feb/09 10:46am

slidecontrol wrote:how much do you want? I could be well keen guv

How about $40? They are worth about $75 Australian including optics and star mount at Cutter.
Have had about 20 hours use max.
grahamt

Postby znomit on Thu 5/Feb/09 5:52pm

Hmmm, I wonder if two of the 20mm triple R2s could be squeezed into a nightlightning head....
1100lm lumens anyone?
znomit
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Datsane on Thu 5/Feb/09 10:11pm

At a guess yes. Heat might be an issue with them though.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Thu 5/Feb/09 10:42pm

Nah run them in parallel 600mA each.
znomit

Postby Datsane on Thu 5/Feb/09 10:50pm

At 750mA they get hot quick if you stop for a minute or two. Would hate to think what would happen with near twice the output :crazy:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Thu 5/Feb/09 11:08pm

When I stop my lights do too!

The nightlightning heads run at 1200mA so just split that over the two boards. 20% more light, less heat, 10% longer runtime.
znomit

Postby pinkmaggit on Wed 11/Feb/09 4:23pm

How much better are the iBlaast II's over the original Iblaaaast!? $70 better?
I promised myself I would get some night riding lights before the winter this year.
pinkmaggit
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby grahamt on Wed 11/Feb/09 4:30pm

pinkmaggit wrote:How much better are the iBlaast II's over the original Iblaaaast!? $70 better?
I promised myself I would get some night riding lights before the winter this year.

Yep - noticeably better. I upgraded mine last week.
grahamt

Postby ArjanH on Sat 28/Feb/09 11:54pm

Has anybody seen or done anything similar to this project?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Night-Vision-Headlamp---500%2b-lumens-with-/

The cyan light seems to be a plausible alternative to the more and more lumens coming out of the Cree's. I have priced the major components to less than $50US including shipping. I am sure there are better ways to mount them though. The gluing straight to a heat sink and covering in silicon seems a bit crude.
ArjanH
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Sun 1/Mar/09 10:18pm

Stuff looks funny under funny lights, even very bright funny lights.
White light is good because grass looks green, mud looks brown, blood looks red when you fall off etc.

ArjanH wrote:Has anybody seen or done anything similar to this project?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Night-Vision-Headlamp---500%2b-lumens-with-/

The cyan light seems to be a plausible alternative to the more and more lumens coming out of the Cree's. I have priced the major components to less than $50US including shipping. I am sure there are better ways to mount them though. The gluing straight to a heat sink and covering in silicon seems a bit crude.
znomit

Postby ArjanH on Mon 2/Mar/09 8:27pm

znomit wrote:Stuff looks funny under funny lights, even very bright funny lights.
White light is good because grass looks green, mud looks brown, blood looks red when you fall off etc.

A yes good point. I hadn't thought about that. I had pretty much well discounted that design already anyway because i had figure out that the 500+ lumen he was talking about was with the 2.5X for the eye thing added. The real lumens were just over 200 ish.

Anyway ... I have come up with a new design. I am going to build something similar to plummet on page 47 but using Cree MC-E's 430 Lumen Cool white. The question is though, I really just want to run 1 mode (around the 750 Ma) so just an on off switch is fine by me. Do I need the hipflex and hipcc or can I used something else?
ArjanH
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Mon 2/Mar/09 9:38pm

ArjanH wrote:Anyway ... I have come up with a new design. I am going to build something similar to plummet on page 47 but using Cree MC-E's 430 Lumen Cool white. The question is though, I really just want to run 1 mode (around the 750 Ma) so just an on off switch is fine by me. Do I need the hipflex and hipcc or can I used something else?

I have no idea what the 500lm/8W is about, each led was rate 45lm at 1W.

Kai have cheap 2.8A boards. 1 for each MC-E wired parallel.
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails ... uctId=1770

This is going to give you well over 1000lm, so you might want a multi mode driver to cut it back (I found 200 plenty for climbing).

Me, I'd go for the taskled stuff, cause its good quality and nice to ride with if you need multi modes. Plus the kai stuff is often crap.
znomit

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts