Postby znomit on Sat 2/Aug/08 9:04pm

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=ST0554&CATID=28&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=448

Dynamo is a 500mA constant current AC source. No driver needed.
4 diodes make the rectifier and the capacitor smoothes out the ripple. See pilom.com for some multi led power curves...
znomit
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby plummet on Sat 2/Aug/08 10:41pm

ok i've posted these lights before.
however i've tidied up the mounting on the lights using industrial velcro and alum angle.
i've also cleaned up the batter mounting on the stem with a single velcro strop.

so this is the complete article now. :D
DSC07635 (Small).JPG
DSC07636 (Small).JPG
DSC07657 (Small).JPG
DSC07659 (Small).JPG
plummet
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 2/Aug/08 11:04pm

Mint. to you move the light then tighten the nut up or is it just down to fricton?

I wish my work shop was that tidy :crazy:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby plummet on Sun 3/Aug/08 7:15am

i'm a man that likes adjustability on the fly so the use a nylock nut and rely on friction. it works a treat. stantard nuts work loose over time.
plummet
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby CleverNickName on Sun 3/Aug/08 9:58am

These are my lights, just finished last week. loosley based on this design but with less gluing parts together and more welds/screws.
The second switch is to remove 1 or 2 LEDs from the circuit for a basic dimming function
R0011567a.JPG
R0011569a.JPG
CleverNickName
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 26/Aug/08 3:06pm

how long before the Cree MC-E's are available?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Flyboy on Tue 26/Aug/08 3:26pm

:pmob: wow, theres some interesting and neat designs on here! Ive just finished building myself a light set (helmet-mount only), and as my first attempt, it seems to be working pretty well. I really need to find a more suitable casing however, Ive used HDPE plastic tubing, and while extremely tough and durable, it is causing overheating, even with vent holes drilled into it. its fine if im on the move whenever the light is on, but if I stop for a minute or two, I have to turn it off. An aluminium tube like some of the examples here would be perfect, but Ive no idea where to source one from, I only need approx 15cm of it, not really worth buying a full length of it form a store. if anyone could PM me with ideas thatd be awesome, cheers!
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby nigelp on Tue 26/Aug/08 3:48pm

If you are looking for aluminium tubing try bunnings, I got my square stuff from them.
nigelp
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Datsane on Tue 26/Aug/08 4:29pm

Sent you an Email Dale :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby znomit on Tue 26/Aug/08 6:04pm

swtchbckr wrote: how long before the Cree MC-E's are available?

Think they've been pushed back, another month. A few guys om MTBR forums and candlepowerforums have samples. Look good. I was hoping to get a 1000lm dynamo light built but now Im trying to find out about this 38mm board/optic from cutter. 6 R2s!
znomit

Postby Datsane on Tue 26/Aug/08 7:45pm

A 1000lm thats HEAPS Wicked

whats the smaller board?
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby znomit on Tue 26/Aug/08 8:12pm

Datsane wrote: A 1000lm thats HEAPS Wicked

whats the smaller board?

Dunno no info from Cutter yet. You could run that 6up board off a maxflex 1200mA 1800lm. and a bloody big heatsink :satan:
I find my 500lm road light isn't quite up to full noise twisty downhills so thought I'd upgrade. Will run it on half power 95% of the time but its always nice to have a little more when you need it :thumbsup:

ok really just doing it because I can
znomit

Postby tartgrandmother on Sat 18/Oct/08 3:40pm

hey all, sorry bout the dredge :D

I'm building some lights right, I'm using a cheap and heavy 12 SLA battery. and am going to run LED's what sort of LED's should i be running?
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 18/Oct/08 4:03pm

A Halogen 20W IRC

The idea with LED's is the weight saving with the smaller battery you use.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby znomit on Sat 18/Oct/08 6:43pm

tartgrandmother wrote: hey all, sorry bout the dredge :D

I'm building some lights right, I'm using a cheap and heavy 12 SLA battery. and am going to run LED's what sort of LED's should i be running?

This is a good place to start.
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut790
Narrow for road light, medium for MTB.
Yeah SLA sucks.

BTW I got an MC-E in today. Interesting beastie. Went with polymer optics narrow but its really floody. Might turn it into a low powered summer light.
znomit

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts