Postby Stumpy on Wed 4/Jun/08 6:48am

znomit wrote:

George at taskled is great to deal with too, very helpful with all my stupid questions.

Yeah I have just entered discussions with George :D

Thanks guys.
Stumpy
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 4/Jun/08 8:10am

Pitching a trouser tent over this baby!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=337752
5afgewerktproductvan175bw1.jpg
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 4/Jun/08 11:34am

jeremyb wrote: Pitching a trouser tent over this baby!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=337752
Thats mint.
Looks abit like the housing Percy made (for halogens) a few years back.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 4/Jun/08 12:34pm

I'm thinking of ordering the 4xR2 kit from cutter, I assume it will run off 12V NiMh battery ok? I know those drivers up the voltage don't they?
jeremyb

Postby oldandlazy on Wed 4/Jun/08 1:35pm

jeremyb wrote: I'm thinking of ordering the 4xR2 kit from cutter, I assume it will run off 12V NiMh battery ok? I know those drivers up the voltage don't they?

If you want to run this off a 12 volt battery you will need a boost driver such as a maxflex or fatman. The 4 R2 LEDs each have a forward voltage of about 3.7V (from memory) and the bflex driver cutter would usually supply adds about 1V overhead. So with the bflex driver you need (3.7*4)+1= 15.8V.

A boost driver is one which outputs a higher voltage than what is fed in.

I recently built up one of these using radio controlled car battery packs (1 at 7.2, 1 at 9.6 volts) in series to give 16.8V with the bflex. Works a treat - over three hours runtime (3.8Ah batteries) at full brightness.

Oh, and it's very, very bright :-)
oldandlazy
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby jeremyb on Wed 4/Jun/08 1:38pm

Cool, so 4xR2 with fatman or maxflex running off my 12V 4.4Ah pack be ok?
jeremyb

Postby jeremyb on Wed 4/Jun/08 1:44pm

http://www.taskled.com/techmaxflex.html

Looks okay with the maxflex2, yay :)
jeremyb

Postby oldandlazy on Wed 4/Jun/08 1:45pm

jeremyb wrote: Cool, so 4xR2 with fatman or maxflex running off my 12V 4.4Ah pack be ok?

The maxflex and fatman drivers I think have to have a supply voltage lower than the forward voltage to the LEDs, so I'm not sure if that would work, given that a fully charged 12 volt battery is probably more like 14-15 volts.

You could try talking to the guys at Cutters - I've found them easy to get hold of and talk to (up until the time you get an order placed). Or possibly the guys at TaskLED who actually make the drivers.

Anyone with some knowledge like to comment?
oldandlazy

Postby jeremyb on Wed 4/Jun/08 1:49pm

Its only 14-15V till theres a proper load on it tho' isn't it? or am I dreaming?
jeremyb

Postby oldandlazy on Wed 4/Jun/08 1:57pm

Look at that -all the useful information appeared while I was replying :p

The tech info notes that the current will go out of regulation quickly if the input voltage is greater than the drive voltage - that would result in too much current through the LEDs - brighter, but may cook them pretty quick. I've heard of people using R2s at 1.2A, but I think much more than that would be ...interesting.
oldandlazy

Postby plummet on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:30pm

led's turned up today. Still waiting on the drivers and lenses from cutter. buggers are taking their time........ any way disign and costruction of the housings is underway.

watch this space....
plummet
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby CleverNickName on Wed 11/Jun/08 10:40pm

plummet wrote: led's turned up today. Still waiting on the drivers and lenses from cutter. buggers are taking their time........ any way disign and costruction of the housings is underway.

watch this space....

It pays to send an email to hurry them along, it seems to be a common complaint.

I've been playing with wiring on the bench and will be building housing in the next week or so. What sort of thing are you planning with your housing?

also watch this space...
CleverNickName
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby plummet on Fri 13/Jun/08 10:13pm

i'm planning a two lamps mounted individually on the head and the bar. similar to the ayeup set up. but of course more industrial and BRIGHTER.

I'm using 25mm alloy tube about 50mm long connected together with a threaded alloy tube with the wiring to connect them going through the center of the threaded tube. the lights will mount through a bracket in the middle of the threaded tube.

i'm going to have on/off and or dimming switch mounted in the back of one of the lights.

batteries are stage two but my thoughts are 3 x 2amp/hour li-ion cells together in series to get 11.1 volt . this should give me approx 3 hours of run time at full power.
plummet
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 13/Jun/08 10:45pm

holy buggery!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :cool:

story here
uberlight.JPG
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 13/Jun/08 10:59pm

Mean I want one.
Datsane