Postby plummet on Sat 24/May/08 10:16pm

ok i'm putting myself into the frey. just order a whole bunch of drivers lenses cree's.....

going to run 8.5 and 10.5 spot on head
20 and 25 flood on the bar all individually mounted in tubes so i can adjust the spread/angle.

using cree q5 1amp leds
buck puck 3023 drivers.

thats stage one.

stage two light batteries.

ps clever nick. Got out the lux meter and measured 1 x 1w led in a 10 deg 20mm lense in put out the same light output as my 10 deg 50mm helogen.
plummet
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 25/May/08 11:31am

I wouldn't go any wider angle then 15deg.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby CleverNickName on Sun 25/May/08 12:15pm

plummet wrote: ok i'm putting myself into the frey. just order a whole bunch of drivers lenses cree's.....

going to run 8.5 and 10.5 spot on head
20 and 25 flood on the bar all individually mounted in tubes so i can adjust the spread/angle.

using cree q5 1amp leds
buck puck 3023 drivers.

I've ordered a bunch of the same stuff, but only using 8 degree optics at this stage. will see how they go and order wider angle optics if required.

general question to anyone watching:
are all optics created equal or are some brands noticably better?
CleverNickName
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sun 25/May/08 12:47pm

Datsane wrote: I wouldn't go any wider angle then 15deg.

the design im looking at has a 24deg angle?
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 25/May/08 4:20pm

25 is to much, requires you to almost double your light out put to get the same amount of light on the track (when compaired to say a 15).
I have twin 15 on my head lamp I'm going to go to atleast two 10s or a 5-8deg and a 10 or 15. For a head lamp it doesn't through the light as far as I would like.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 25/May/08 4:29pm

the widest beam I run is a 14, for racing that is borderline too wide. I'm not a huge fan of illuminating the stuff on the side of the trail.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Datsane on Sun 25/May/08 4:33pm

A narrower beam with the ability to adjust the brightness would be far better, then running a wider beam with the need for higher output.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby jeremyb on Sun 25/May/08 5:22pm

Wide angle definately sucks, 10-12deg seems perfect, first night ride coming this week :love: still running a dirty old halogen too much indecision on what led parts to run :(
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby avantibill on Sun 25/May/08 7:35pm

Sorry to get off the subject slightly. Since I have been commuting to and from work, on the darker mornings and evenings, I have found that my Cateye Opticube does not get the attention of some drivers as they fail to see me ( or misjudge my speed). I have since resorted to use my handlebar night lights, but since my 12 volt 20 watt bulb only has about 60 minutes battery life, I found it was not long enough when I go for after work social ride. I have found this LED bulb as an alternative, not quite as bright as the halogen, but still more than adequate for commuting and a back up/ secondary lighting for night rides with 5 times the battery life. http://ledbulbs.co.nz/product_info.php/ ... d25bda7f8f
P1010629.jpg
Cateye Opticube
P1010630.jpg
LED handlebar light retro fit
P1010631.jpg
Battery hungry Halogen light
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sun 25/May/08 7:47pm

and they are all off the same battery?
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby avantibill on Sun 25/May/08 7:58pm

tartgrandmother wrote: and they are all off the same battery?

The Cateye Opticube is powered by 4 AA batteries, the other two is off a heavy (as in weight) sealed lead acid battery. I generally have both lights running at the same time with the cateye flashing
avantibill

Postby plummet on Mon 26/May/08 9:06am

Datsane wrote: A narrower beam with the ability to adjust the brightness would be far better, then running a wider beam with the need for higher output.

i'm going to run 8 and 10 on the head mounted individually to stagger the spot.

the 25 and 20 are for the bar to fill in the ground in front of me. it does'nt need to be a spot. infact if it was it wouldn't work as well as i want.

my theory is it have a triangle of light spread wide at the bar and then tapering to a point up the trail.

25 flood will to 0-5 meters
20 flood 5-15 meters
10 spot 15-25 meters
8spot 25+

ideally i wanted a 15 deg and a 30 deg instead of the 20 and 25. the above spread was the closest i could find in the same brand/size.
plummet
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 26/May/08 12:43pm

I run a single P4 on my bars for riding on the road. 15deg lens is heaps wide enough to see where I'm going. Not like you need to light up the foot path as well.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby avantibill on Mon 26/May/08 9:40pm

Just an update on my LED replacement, nowhere near as bright as the halogen, it is ok for commuting, but that's about it really.

On the plus side it only took under 20 minutes to top up the battery after at least an hour and half's use. Halogen would have been complety flat by then and took over 3 hours to charge!
avantibill

Postby j0e90 on Wed 28/May/08 4:32pm

Okay so I have 5w nitflux vision stick - 6v 2000ma battery, thinking of converting to LED ( the halogen got smashed, and this thread has got me thinking.

Looking at these pics it isn't too hard

http://nobmob.com/node/3230
http://nobmob.com/node/3231
http://nobmob.com/node/3233
http://nobmob.com/node/3234
http://nobmob.com/node/3235

It looks pretty tight space wise for a heatsink, any opinions on what I should be lookinhg at LED wise?

Cheers
j0e90
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts