Broken Headset On Avanti Cadent?

Postby cantthinkofaname on Thu 29/Dec/11 8:46pm

I noticed the spacers on top of my stem on my Avanti Cadent were able to spin around a little, so I thought I should make sure all the bolts were as tight as they should be.

I loosened off the two side bolts and started to tighten the top bolt but it just kept spinning around. I then noticed that rather than a star nut like on my mountain bikes, it has a totally different contraption, with a second bolt. Sorry I don't really know how to explain it, but I'm hoping someone with more technical knowledge will know what I mean.

The problem I have now is that the part of the headset that replaces the star nut has come loose from "C" shaped shim type thing that fits inside the steerer (which is also now loose)

I have tried to attach a picture to show what I mean. Basically, can anyone let me know what I need to do to fix this, or has something broken and need to be replaced?

I'm hoping to head for a long training ride tomorrow for an upcoming event so if I can get it sorted tonight that would be awesome!
IMG_0474.JPG
cantthinkofaname
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Broken Headset On Avanti Cadent?

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 29/Dec/11 8:53pm

silver bit goes between the two black cones... when you tighten the two cones it will expand out and grip the steerer ;)
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby cantthinkofaname on Thu 29/Dec/11 9:09pm

You're a f@cken legend! Thanks a lot for that.

Looks like it must have been coming loose for a while because the top black wedge was completely out the top of the steerer when I took the top cap off/spacers, I just didn't know it should look that way until putting it on correctly now.

One more question, when inserting the two wedges and then re-tightening the top cap bolt, I can tighten it fairly tightly, but I can still move the spacers around just using my fingers. There isn't any vertical play in them just that they can spin around (they are carbon spacers if that makes a difference). Is this OK, or should this not be happening? I tightened the bolt attaching the two wedges fairly tight but I didn't want to over tighten it and stuff things up again.
cantthinkofaname

Postby Kiwicyclo on Thu 29/Dec/11 9:24pm

cantthinkofaname wrote:You're a f@cken legend! Thanks a lot for that.

Looks like it must have been coming loose for a while because the top black wedge was completely out the top of the steerer when I took the top cap off/spacers, I just didn't know it should look that way until putting it on correctly now.

One more question, when inserting the two wedges and then re-tightening the top cap bolt, I can tighten it fairly tightly, but I can still move the spacers around just using my fingers. There isn't any vertical play in them just that they can spin around (they are carbon spacers if that makes a difference). Is this OK, or should this not be happening? I tightened the bolt attaching the two wedges fairly tight but I didn't want to over tighten it and stuff things up again.

The top cap and bolt does not realy "hold down" your spacers. It should be firm but not overtight, get creeks and groans if overtight. I usually torque to about 8 Nm. Could be that the steerer tube could be a touch too long and the cap is not actually coming down on to the top of the spacers. Try putting a 2.5 m spacer on first (on top of the headstem) then your other spacers.

Have an Avanti Team Quantum as a traing bike, same set up.
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby cantthinkofaname on Thu 29/Dec/11 9:49pm

That's great, thanks again. I've looked at the steerer perhaps being a bit long but it seems to be ok. I have a torque wrench so I'll use your recommended torque and see how I get on.
cantthinkofaname

Postby XCrazy on Thu 29/Dec/11 10:00pm

I'm not sure on the specifics of this setup but the silver bit expands inside the steerer and provides resistance to compression from the stem. No the spacers should not spin as the top cap should tighten down on the spacers which compress the top of the headset and a split ring in the headset which tightens it to stop it rocking. As far as I am aware there is no recommended torque for a top cap, it should be tight enough that there is no free movement in the headset but not so tight that there is excessive friction which will wear the bearings out faster. So with the stem bolts loose you need to gently tighten the top cap, apply the front brake and gently rock the bike back and forward while watching/feeling for any movement in the headset and keep tightening until it disappears. Then you may tighten the stem bolts.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts