Brent Harris Gets Warmup Cycle Team 1st International Result

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:18pm

The Warmup Cycling team had its first international result with team member Brent Harris finishing third in the Quay West Resort Noosa Century, Brisbane to Noosa 160 km race last Sunday.

There were over 1400 riders on the start line in Brisbane to tackle the challenging ride with undulating terrain that went through Caboolture, the Glass House Mountains National Park and Bli Bli before its finishing in the resort town of Noosa.

The serious racing did not start the leaders reached the Gasshouse Mountains region at 60km mark.

“I’m rapt with the result,” Harris said from the Gold Coast. “The hills just keep coming one after each other but I felt good and was always over them at the front.”

Harris had several early attempts to get away from the leading bunch but with 100km still to go none of the other riders showed any interest to go with him.

“I needed some Warmup team mates there to help me,” he joked.

Once out of the Glass House Mountains National Park there was a 40km undulating windy section of racing along the coastal highway that split the field up even further.

Harris stayed at the front of the race and was still keen to look for others to make a break but there was still no interest from the leading bunch of 16 riders.

“The big problem for me was I didn't know the run into the finish that well and two riders got the jump on me but still very happy to finish third – the other guys were at least 10 years younger than me.”

Craig Bryon from Bli Bli won in four hours 40 minutes and 56 seconds followed closely by Phil Tillotson from Tewantin and Harris.

The event a wide range of age groups and included world champion triathletes and Australian Olympic rowers.

In memory of the Australian representative cyclist killed when hit by a car while training, the Amy Gillett Foundation was official beneficiary of the Quay West Resort Noosa Century race, with over AUS$10,000 raised for the foundation.

Supplied by: http://www.enthuse.co.nz
DUA_5164(1).JPG
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Brent Harris Gets Warmup Cycle Team 1st International Result

Postby Spokes on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:19pm

I guess its not the Brent Harris I knew then. :eh:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby musket on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:21pm

Awesome.

Melissa_Theuriau wrote:
In memory of the Australian representative cyclist killed when hit by a car while training, the Amy Gillett Foundation was official beneficiary of the Quay West Resort Noosa Century race, with over AUS$10,000 raised for the foundation.

Supplied by: http://www.enthuse.co.nz
musket
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:36pm

The Brent Harris I knew was called "Boeing" and won a stack of titles in the 80s.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:58pm

No, different Brent.

Great guy, a real hammer. Also great club rider. Him and Wife Di help with the Pegasus Junior Programme run by Russell Ward. One day when it was teeming down with rain he rode 160km from Cheviot into a Southerly to take his nephew for a 40km training ride.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Lozz on Sat 20/Jun/09 8:03pm

and there was that other time when team warmup road from little river to akaroa and back. While we drove to little river, he rode from cheviot... check a map!

250km with some nasty nasty hillage. He left at 2am :blink:
Lozz
"Shaven and misbehave'n"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Fergie on Sat 20/Jun/09 8:09pm

And you guys thought you were so tuff on the Hurtfest!

What is more scary are his windtrainer efforts. They sound evil, even by my standards!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby porschenut on Mon 22/Jun/09 6:38pm

Yeah man, full respect for Brent. Awesome result!
porschenut
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Australia | Brisbane | Cycling | Event Reports | Events | News | Queensland | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts