92 Bossomworth Retrofit

Postby boss_si on Mon 7/Jun/10 8:12am

I have a Bossomworth road frame (Reynolds 653 renovated) I bought second hand from Cycle Services on Cuba St mid 90s. I recall it was one of the guys working at the shops old bike and he had replaced the forks with ITM forks and it also came with ITM stem and bars. It was a lovely bike to ride and I'm 6'4" so its hard to get frames that fit.

Long story short I left NZ 10 years ago and six years ago I stripped it for storage as it a had a mottley crew of components. Now want to get it back to something like it would have looked back in the day. I'm currently living in London and spoke to guy at the Herne Hill velodrome open day today (1948 Olympics, the veldrome that is not him).

For what he said I gather that if I go along to one of the big cycle "jumbles" that they have fairly regularly I've got a good chance of picking up a full set of components wheels etc by attending one or two such events. He said the best way to do that is to have a list of preferred components with options.

The frame has 921117 on the bottom bracket so I gather from a previous thread it a November 92 frame. Its a Golder series frame. Given that it has ITM forks my feeling is that I should be looking for ITM bars and a stem although want to remain open.
3ttt and Cinelli was what I was thinking.

Everything else I am open on, for a group I was thinking durace or 600, would Campag have been an option?

For rims Mavac springs to mind but not sure on what else?

Would appreciate ideas.

Regards

Simon
boss_si
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Re: 92 Bossomworth Retrofit

Postby Oli on Mon 7/Jun/10 10:28am

Is that Wheels' old multi-coloured Bosomworth (I want to say with a bit of yellow, but my memory isn't what it never was)? Are the forks ahead or do you need an old fashioned quill stem? Either way the brand doesn't matter, just the compatibility of the various parts.

The rest of the components are entirely up to you - anything that will fit a modern bike will fit yours, with the only issue being perhaps the front derailleur fitment (could be straightforward braze on or if it requires a band mount watch the diameter which is most likely 28.6mm). It will have English b/b threads (1.37 x 24t). Any 700c wheels will do also.

Hope that is some use...please post pics when you're done, Simon.

Cheers, Oli (Cycle Services mechanic 1992-2000)
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 7/Jun/10 10:58am

Here's my old one for no other reason than I just found the pic this morning when joining the Facebook Bosomworth page. 1988 frame but pic taken in 1997. I wish I still owned it... :(
Bosomworth.jpg
Oli

Postby boss_si on Wed 9/Jun/10 10:42am

Hi Oli, yes it was Wheels old one yellow red and purple. Its got a few chips and a bit of rust on the back drop outs (wrapped in a tarp and stored outside) but I don't want to try and redo the paint job and decals so will try and do a bit of spot painting. Forks are ok it has a tange headset which was working fine. The bottom bracket was getting a bit tired I recall so will replace that with a new one and hopefully can pick up 90s era front derailleur that will fit without to much trouble. Will post a pic when its together.

Cheers
boss_si

Postby fatwombat on Wed 9/Jun/10 1:56pm

Oli wrote:... - anything that will fit a modern bike will fit yours, with the only issue being perhaps the front derailleur fitment (could be straightforward braze on or if it requires a band mount watch the diameter which is most likely 28.6mm). It will have English b/b threads (1.37 x 24t). Any 700c wheels will do also.

Not wanting to contradict, I'm just asking, but will the rear dropout width be wide enough for a modern 130/135mm axle (8-10 speed) or would an early 90s bike have a 120mm rear axle (6-7 speed)? Could be no problem, my 1991 Geoff Thompson bike has a modern width rear, but I have a friend whose Raleigh Gran Course of the same vintage is made for the narrower width axle. You can get them bent out to the new width, but there is always a risk that the rear triangle will end up slightly out of true. And from Oli's photo it looks to have a pretty tight rear triangle and widening the stays will rob you of a couple more mm between tyre and seat tube.

I used to have a Bosomworth in the 80s, Columbus SL, fantastic bike to ride. Sadly a thief with very good taste stole it from my garage in Sydney (he left my other bikes behind so I think he discerned the best one.

Good luck with your project. :)
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby danose on Wed 9/Jun/10 1:59pm

fatwombat wrote:Not wanting to contradict, I'm just asking, but will the rear dropout width be wide enough for a modern 130/135mm axle (8-10 speed) or would an early 90s bike have a 120mm rear axle (6-7 speed)?

120mm is 5/track - it is possible it could be 126mm though (6/7 speed spacing) but cold setting out 4mm on a steel frame shouldn't be a big hassle (going out 10mm would be more exciting)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Wed 9/Jun/10 2:53pm

It will be 130mm - Wheels ran modern Shimano and Campag kit on it from new. Also, widening the stays won't affect clearance except maybe increasing it a minute fraction.
Oli

Re: 92 Bosomworth Retrofit

Postby boss_si on Sun 11/Jul/10 6:20am

Hi Oli,
The bikes coming together slowly, I'm not being to be too authentic about the early 90s set up but I did managed to get hold of a 140mm cinelli titanium stem and now on the hunt for 26.4 Giro Italia bars.

The seat post diameter has got me, do you know what it would be? I'm 1.94m so after a long stem possible carbon, how long to the come? Hoping to get it together in the next month and take it for a ride in the Dolomites, will send a pic if it gets to it it spiritual home land ;-)

Cheers

Simon
boss_si

Postby musket on Sun 11/Jul/10 6:25am

They're 27.2mm - at least mine, and all the others I've ever seen are. Best thing about retro bikes: options were limited.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Sun 11/Jul/10 11:28am

Mine also was 27.2, Simon. From memory all the ones I've worked on have been as well.
Oli

Postby cruza on Tue 13/Jul/10 1:53am

I am just finishing my 91 Klein Quantum after changing components from Shimano 600 to Campagnolo record. I have got the Delta brakes on it and am running a pair of Gippiemme Techno 416 wheels and Cinelli bar/stem. Looks great with all that polished Aluminium.

Parts were ok to get but took a while. Still looking for indexed 8speed campag downtube shifters but friction ones working fine.

Duarace was the other nice option but getting delta brakes and having a Klein MTB with Campag groupset in my garage helped with the choice.

Check out retrobike on the net for more ideas and group rides.

Cheers
Steve
cruza
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby boss_si on Tue 16/Jul/13 2:59am

A late fellow up, did not do much riding for awhile but am now in the Pyrenees and the Bosomworth has now been to Col de Paliheres, Tourmalet Col de Aspin, Col de Peyresourde, Port de Bales and Col de Mente the latter probably being my favourite.
After struggling up Port de Bales with 39 27 I changed the rear derailer to an XT with a 11-34 SLX cluster so I could get a similar ratio as the compact kids who I meet up with on Paliheres on a 30 degree day. I have kept my 11-27 and Ultegra DR for when I grow real quads or get back onto the flats.
I have a question regarding Reynolds tubing. One of the guys I meet is getting a UK custom made frame with 953 which is very close to being as light as carbon.
This got me interested in my tubing and i noted the Reynolds wiki there is no mention of 653 Renovated. Various blogs on heat treating and the use of 753 but nothing I have found that defines the Renovated side of things.
Can anyone shed any light ?
boss_si

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 16/Jul/13 5:19am

Yay, Bosomworth conquers the Alpes!

Reynolds keep fairly tight control on decals so they don't leak onto non-genuine frames.
Original decals are not available for repaint jobs, instead Reynolds supply decals marked "Renovated" to people who can identify their model and serial number.
http://reynoldstechnology.biz/faqs/general/1
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 16/Jul/13 9:15am

Re decals - ask Greg; http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclomondo?_rdc=1 in Aussie.
His are beautiful :) (having bought 3 sets) and he's good to deal with :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby boss_si on Tue 16/Jul/13 9:02pm

Great to know thanks. Has got we wondering what the original paint job was.

There is also the frame builders signature on it, bit hard to read the last name something like: B Ogbey . Anyone know how many frame builders there were?

I hope that there is going to a return of the NZ frame builders especially with the new tubing that promises no weight compromises and a the benefit of custom frame fit.
boss_si

Cycling | Retro Bicycles | Road Cycling - Latest Posts