Re: Bmx Training

Postby psychavoc on Tue 3/Nov/09 8:14am

From a bike fit perspective, what do you think is a good size race BMX for me? (FYI: I ride a small MTB and a 47cm roadie). http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/BMX/Race/
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 6:17pm

cruiser wrote:

It's the same thing with squats. Although their is a place for squats they are out of phase with the pedalling action. Much like lat pull downs have scientifically proven to have no benefit to your chin up ability. The squat uses core muscles to straighten out the body while your foot stays static. A pedal needs a core that has a rigid strength while the leg extends the foot downwards (and upwards with clips)

Wrong again. Watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxbGL2zrbMs
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 6:20pm

psychavoc wrote:From a bike fit perspective, what do you think is a good size race BMX for me? (FYI: I ride a small MTB and a 47cm roadie). http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/BMX/Race/

What you are trying to do is get your back at a 45 Degree angle when standing. So probably a pro size then adjust bar height to suit. How tall are you?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby cruiser on Tue 3/Nov/09 6:49pm

Spokes wrote:
cruiser wrote:

It's the same thing with squats. Although there is a place for squats they are out of phase with the pedalling action. Much like lat pull downs have scientifically proven to have no benefit to your chin up ability. The squat uses core muscles to straighten out the body while your foot stays static. A pedal needs a core that has a rigid strength while the leg extends the foot downwards (and upwards with clips)

Wrong again. Watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxbGL2zrbMs

not trying to have an argument with you. I did highlight there is a place for squats and gym work. but maybe you should look further to specificity and functionality of training research, not youtube video's...before you say I'm wrong??

there is sooo much wrong with that video...these guys just want big quads.

these squaters have their feet alot wider than the pedals of a BMX...this isn't specific to BMX...they're locking their knees out...they're deadlifting the bar to their waist...cycling has the bar away from the waist at all times...
you don't wear a weight belt while bmxing, why wear one training?? when will the core get it's workout?

Bmx is one leg at a time pushing, squat is 2 =BMX functionality is one legged squats. but wait there's more...

Bmx has pulling on same hand as pushing leg = one legged squat while holding dumbbell in hand while hip joint flexed at 45 degree... this will replicate the core work needed...

In cycling the arm goes thru a closed chain exercise while the leg goes thru an open chain sequence. (look them up) It's very difficult to replicate that in the gym.
The idea iMHO is to use the gym to focus on all-round general strength and power, then integrating them into full body movements/ actions that develop muscles as close as you can to functionality for cycling. The gym is important for balancing the muscles that don't get used in BMX. (e.g chest etc) and perving at hot chicks.

but then after all this seeking of functional training...why not just find ways to stress and adapt the body on the bike. Do some body weight core work, dynamic plyometrics, swissball and some dumbbells. Save on gym fees too.

Lets say a group of bmx'ers did squats and gym work, and another did power training on the bike and core work specific to bmx...which group would you want to join if you were going to the nationals?

at the end of the day I'm not going to say you're wrong. Everyone one is entitled to their own view and that's why the world is such a lovely place. But if you think you're an expert at training from that video, you might benefit from enlightening yourself...if you are open to it?
Last edited by cruiser on Tue 3/Nov/09 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 7:18pm

cruiser wrote: But if you think you're an expert at training from that video, there are plenty of places you can enlighten yourself if you are open to it?

Im no expert which is why I said go to Greg Romero who is an AA pro and trains other Pro's. Like the guys in that video.

HTH.
Spokes

Postby Fergie on Tue 3/Nov/09 7:30pm

The guys in that video didn't look very professional and most of those squats looked like a hernia in the making, shocking form.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 3/Nov/09 7:48pm

Fergie wrote:The guys in that video didn't look very professional and most of those squats looked like a hernia in the making, shocking form.

cheers for the back up... :thumbsup:
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 3/Nov/09 8:02pm

In regards to fitness if your not lean, have adequate muscle for your event, good recovery, are injury free, good flexibility, have good health it doesn't matter how much event specific power you have someone with the same power and skill but better fitness is going to beat you. As I was cranking around the short bays in Christchurch putting out good power (for a sad lack of consistent training) I was bemoaning an extra 4kg on pudge which pulled my times down for the climbs. On the flat it means no aero position and more of me punching into the wind.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 8:23pm

Fergie wrote:The guys in that video didn't look very professional and most of those squats looked like a hernia in the making, shocking form.

So you think the top guys would post themselves up on u-tube :eh:

It was to make a point about how wrong crusier is.
Spokes

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 8:25pm

Fergie wrote:In regards to fitness if your not lean, have adequate muscle for your event, good recovery, are injury free, good flexibility, have good health it doesn't matter how much event specific power you have someone with the same power and skill but better fitness is going to beat you. As I was cranking around the short bays in Christchurch putting out good power (for a sad lack of consistent training) I was bemoaning an extra 4kg on pudge which pulled my times down for the climbs. On the flat it means no aero position and more of me punching into the wind.

And that some of the reasons BMX is so good, no long boring training, no lycra.......
Spokes

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 8:31pm

Just a bit of motivation. Another reason BMX is cool :cool:

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/news/228 ... -bmx-video
Spokes

Postby Fergie on Tue 3/Nov/09 8:38pm

Spokes wrote:And that some of the reasons BMX is so good, no long boring training, no lycra.......

Yeah, a lot of people confuse getting into shape with lots of long miles on the bike.
Fergie

Postby Spokes on Tue 3/Nov/09 10:04pm

Anywho, back to psychavoc.

Build one of these, a stumpy gate. It will release by itself when you pull back from the gate to help give you a good pop. Ive just finished one and it has already helped me.

It should work like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48PHfyrrwM

Are you using clips or flats? What bike are you riding now?
stumpygate.jpg
Spokes

Postby psychavoc on Wed 4/Nov/09 9:44am

I'm on clips. Have only just mastered actually clipping in and standing and waiting at the gates :blush:

Currently on a 2009 Giant Method 01 but am getting a 2010 Haro Pro (hopefully!) shortly :cool: http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/tab2_subNav6.php
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Podgos on Wed 4/Nov/09 9:59am

Totally!! Their deadlifts (being such a dangerous exercise when done wrong) were pretty much the worst I've ever seen, I can't believe coaches would watch people do that to themselves.
Podgos
Member for: 11 years 1 month

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling - Latest Posts