Bmx Round Continues Despite Newcastle Storm

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Sun 10/Jun/07 12:11pm

Race officials at this weekend's International BMX race were determined to conduct racing in Newcastle despite the region being declared a disaster zone. Riders from Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong braved fallen trees, fallen power lines and floodwaters to ride the final UCI Oceania-Pacific Round.

"It's a UCI event, we can't cancel it although we could have postponed it" said Chief Commissaire, Andy Mellish. "The track held up really well considering the amount of rain that had fallen. All we needed was a generator for the start gate."

New Zealand's Sarah Walker proved her number one world ranking was justified by winning all three elite women's races. In the final race, Perth's Nicole Callisto challenged her midfield but Walker proved too strong. The 18 year old wins the overall series and will now prepare for the World Championships in Canada at the end of July. Australia's National Champion, Tanya Bailey from Perth finished in third place but had ample points to place second in the overall series.

Australia's Luke Madill dominated the men's final race winning by three bike lengths. The 27 year old from Penrith, near Sydney, saved his energy during the earlier heats as the heavy rain soaked track sapped the strength of many top riders. "I tried to make it a little bit easier in the qualifying runs and have something left in the final," explained Madill. "I've been training really hard and this is the last race before the Worlds so it was a good little test for me." "It's a good confidence booster," he added. Madill will now focus his attention on building a replica of the 2008 Beijing Olympic track. Work starts this weekend on the track which features an eight metre starting ramp.

New Zealand's Marc Willers was relegated to third place just narrowly beaten by Liverpool's Alex Cameron. Willers had ample points to retain the overall series lead making it another New Zealand triumph. Australia's National Champion, Khalen Young placed a creditable fourth and finishes second overall in the series. Madill's win gives him third overall.

Local favourite, Billy Joliffe was unlucky to finish eighth. Joliffe summed up the weather. "We've had about 10 inches of rain in two days. The track's held up alright," he said. "We've had a lot of wind and a lot trees on the road. There's been carnage and I've never seen this much rain in my life."

The junior men's race was won by Lake Macquarie's Christopher Westwood but Terrigal's Joshua Webb's second place gave him the overall series win while Westwood ends up fourth in the series. Nerang's Steven Janssen placed third in the final race but maintains second place overall in the series. Adelaide's Matthew Willoughby's sixth place in this final race secured him a third overall in the series.

Junior women's races were not conducted after several riders decided not to attend due to weather warnings and illness stopped Caroline Buchanan from racing. New Zealand's Victoria Hill had the series won with ample points before the final round, and Buchanan stays in second place overall.

On Monday several top riders, Bailey, Mankowski, Callisto, Joliffe and Young, will head overseas for some international competition prior to representing Australia at the World Championships in Victoria, Canada on the 25 - 29th July.

TOP RESULTS OF FINAL RACE

Junior Men (8 Riders)
PLATE GROUP NAME PLACE
471 Lake Macquarie NSW Christopher WESTWOOD 1
231 Terrigal NSW Joshua WEBB 2
454 Nerang QLD Steven JANSSEN 3
36 Papakura NZL Michael WILLIAMS 4
50 Lake Macquarie NSW Scott WALSH 5
19 Happy Valley SA Matthew WILLOUGHBY 6
102 Liverpool City NSW Nicholas CAMERON 7
56 Sunset Coast Waiuku NZL Zachary WEBB 8

Elite Women (4 Riders)
PLATE GROUP NAME PLACE
96 Rotorua NZL Sarah WALKER 1
55 Wanneroo WA Nicole CALLISTO 2
17 Wanneroo WA Tanya BAILEY 3
4 Moranbah QLD Melissa MANKOWSKI 4

Elite Men (18 Riders)
PLATE GROUP NAME PLACE
17 Penrith NSW Luke MADILL 1st
201 Liverpool City NSW Alexander CAMERON 2nd
777 Cambridge NZL Marc WILLERS 3rd
97 Liverpool City NSW Khalen YOUNG 4th
188 Canberra ACT Leigh DARRELL 5th
82 Nerang QLD Michael ROBINSON 6th
49 New Plymouth NZL Matthew CAMERON 7th
W 7 Terrigal NSW Billy JOLLIFFE 8th
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby sifter on Sun 10/Jun/07 8:07pm

Go the kiwis :)
sifter
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sun 10/Jun/07 8:11pm

1 of my mates and 2 other people that race at my club are there..woop woop ride hard jarrod
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Mon 11/Jun/07 8:12pm

Good work, Sarah and Marc! Grant will be happy with you guys... :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Mon 11/Jun/07 8:30pm

luke madill is one fast bugger dont you agree?
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby ride_ironhorse on Mon 11/Jun/07 9:00pm

yea
ride_ironhorse
Member for: 11 years 2 months

BMX Riding | Cycling | News - Latest Posts