Re: Blur Lt Carbon

Postby Simpleone on Sat 25/Jul/09 10:25am

wachtourak wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:Looks like a nice ride, shame about the aesthetic of the wheels

I like the wheels :paranoid:

The wheels look better in the flesh (so does the frame), plenty of people on this thread have slamed them, I wonder has any one else has tried them though, they do ride well. Personally I think, the new grey colour would look better.
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 25/Jul/09 10:49am

real boutique bikes are not made in asia :)
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Scotty on Sat 25/Jul/09 10:54am

nah, they're made in America out of cut up farmgates lovingly welded together by guys named frank who still has periodic 'nam flashbacks when he sees the flicker of the welding torch.

It may ride like shit, but hey, it's boutique.
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 25/Jul/09 10:55am

DaveAldred wrote:
I read somewhere that pretty much al the main lie brands are made by Giant or Merida. Stands to reason that those to manufacturing brands are at least as good as the supposedly boutique brands they also make.

This is very true.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby Scotty on Sat 25/Jul/09 10:56am

oh, and Frank's friend dave who applies a quality head badge at the end of the assembly line in the old tumbleweed-packing shed where the frames are put together
Scotty

Postby Wobbler on Sat 25/Jul/09 10:59am

Scotty wrote:nah, they're made in America out of cut up farmgates lovingly welded together by guys named frank who still has periodic 'nam flashbacks when he sees the flicker of the welding torch.

yeah but they get to choose what grade and design farmgates are used rather than just going oh try and use this style and grade, thanks

do you not see the difference :eh:
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby Simpleone on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:01am

Scotty wrote:nah, they're made in America out of cut up farmgates lovingly welded together by guys named frank who still has periodic 'nam flashbacks when he sees the flicker of the welding torch.

Quality! :lol:

Thats why I have a Toyota not a jeep!
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:03am

you mean a ferrari?
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Postby Oli on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:06am

Wobbler wrote:

yeah but they get to choose what grade and design farmgates are used rather than just going oh try and use this style and grade, thanks

Exactly, even if the difference in cost is hard to justify the materials used are usually better, the design is usually better, the finish and frame accessories are usually better. Tell me a boutique brand that "rides like shit". :eh:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:09am

santa cruz

I know because I rode a v10 that was the wrong size and had the wrong spring rates for me around a flat clearing for 2 mins
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:13am

:D
Oli

Postby Scotty on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:14am

Wobbler wrote:

My thoughts are Hokaido (he's my asian dude - keep up) would get his friend Yang down the road make his farmgates to spec then drop em off after lunch, he could then cut 'em up and get down to it with maximum efficiency. Whereas Frank would drive around the desert grabbing something that looked about right or something that didn't cost him his pack of marlboros and then try to get it sold before the bank came around looking for their money.

It's a tricky thing this farmgate business.

wait, whut?
Scotty

Postby Scotty on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:17am

Oli wrote:Exactly, even if the difference in cost is hard to justify the materials used are usually better, the design is usually better, the finish and frame accessories are usually better. Tell me a boutique brand that "rides like shit". :eh:

The ones that come out of the factory with chainstays that aren't welded straight (or the wrong length), bottom brackets that aren't true, or chalines that are 1-2cm out of whack.

You've been around for long enough to know which one was bad for that.

Then there were the early keewees...
Scotty

Postby Oli on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:21am

Scotty wrote:
Oli wrote:Exactly, even if the difference in cost is hard to justify the materials used are usually better, the design is usually better, the finish and frame accessories are usually better. Tell me a boutique brand that "rides like shit". :eh:

The ones that come out of the factory with chainstays that aren't welded straight (or the wrong length), bottom brackets that aren't true, or chalines that are 1-2cm out of whack.

You've been around for long enough to know which one was bad for that.

Then there were the early keewees...
Haha! I do know which one you mean actually...touche, Scottus. :thumbsup:
Oli

Postby Wobbler on Sat 25/Jul/09 11:23am

Scotty wrote:
Wobbler wrote:

My thoughts are Hokaido (he's my asian dude - keep up) would get his friend Yang down the road make his farmgates to spec then drop em off after lunch, he could then cut 'em up and get down to it with maximum efficiency. Whereas Frank would drive around the desert grabbing something that looked about right or something that didn't cost him his pack of marlboros and then try to get it sold before the bank came around looking for their money.

It's a tricky thing this farmgate business.

wait, whut?

I think the unzud method of just welding bits onto the farm gate was certainly the best way about it
P5250060.JPG
Wobbler
User avatarMedal

Basic Bikes Blog | Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Vogs - Latest Posts