Re: Blue/white Led's Will Kill You.

Postby stiffeeslicker on Thu 23/Jun/11 7:02pm

danose wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:I still use CFL bulbs but have incandescents in the study.

if you shop around (try a proper lighting place like rexel as opposed to whatever random cheap junk your supermarket has) it's quite easy to get CFLs with different colour temps. I've got 'warm' ones in our lounge/bedroom that are actually warmer than an incandescent even - only downside is they're quite slow to warm up ('blue/daylight' cfls start quicker due to the different phosphors - I use them in our bathroom/kitchen where you want 'bright' light and don't mind the harshness)

same with LEDs - early 'white' leds were very blue tinged (and stiffeeslicker - most of the early ones are actually emitting non-visible UV and using tricky phosphors to re-emit in the visible) - again as the tech has advanced this is no longer the case (if I fire up an old luxeon next to a xr-e/xp-g the luxeon looks REALLY blue).

as for people who are scared that blue light is bad for you - so I presume these people never go outside on a nice sunny cloudless day? :crazy:

Nope, because during the day all colours are strong enough to balance out (and the cone receptors aren't as sensitive to blue light). During the night blue becomes very intense by comparison as the rod cells outside the focal point are very sensitive to ambient blue light, hence a single LED having the ability to disrupt sleep patterns.
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby SamKnight on Thu 23/Jun/11 9:15pm

i'm still a lot more worried about lasers, especially the new one we have at work - Class 3B (and IR), useable range of 16km, all so you can be blinded without even knowing its there :thumbsup:
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 23/Jun/11 9:22pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:as for people who are scared that blue light is bad for you - so I presume these people never go outside on a nice sunny cloudless day? :crazy:

Well, no........... Not without my BlueBlockers on. :cool:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 24/Jun/11 12:40am

I wouldn't worry about colour during the day unless you are having trouble reading the screen.

Microsoft's colours may be good for working. Industrial psychologists have found that the colour of the workplace has a subtle effect on worker's performance of different tasks.
IIRC green is good for analytical work, something else (blue?) was better for external alertness. Warm tones help patients relax, purple encourages drug-fueled orgies.

I always set Windows to use the "classic" interface from a version or three ago as it runs faster that way. I liked the new teal green background that came with Windows 95 and haven't got tired of it yet. :p
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 24/Jun/11 7:06am

Purple it is then!
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby danose on Fri 24/Jun/11 1:13pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Purple it is then!

I dunno - I've still got heaps of purple anno and I don't find myself in many orgies :(
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Caffeine on Fri 24/Jun/11 3:13pm

New Scientist had a piece on this in the May issue too http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028111.400-blue-alert-the-dark-side-of-night-light.html. You can find the full version quick smart if you don't have a sub.
Caffeine
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Sat 25/Jun/11 11:22pm

Bro this is the sort of control the Chinese are after in order to take over the world
... *toke*... LEDS bro..

While you are now going to stare at a white/blue LED to see if it keeps you awake and drinking bong water.

I would like to point out that living in a place that has either lots of sunlight or little doesn't do shit to your sleep if you have a regular pattern of getting up at the same time, such as a job. We have just had the summers soltice here in Finland which means sun sets at 11pm and pops up again at 1am which should theoretically fuck you up. But as the Spaniards have also proven you can sleep in the day while the sun is out.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 28/Jun/11 4:50am

Holy crap, that's worse than Invercargill!
But I thought the Finns get S.A.D. from the screwy lighing in winter, or was that just the neurotic Swedes? Dunno if that was from timing or just dimness though.

In experiments on people isolated from daytime clues and clocks people tend to lengthen their "day" gradually and end up in a cycle several hours longer that 24hrs.

Here is what the nonvisual light detector cells look like. Lucky she wasn't doing her thesis on something to do with raccoon penises I reckon. The pic is from a whole book of mad scientist tatoos.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/science-tattoo-emporium/?nggpage=12&pid=26

BTW that blog (The Loom, by Carl Zimmer) is pretty fascinating if you find evolutionary biology fascinating, or even if you just want to know more about what lives in your navel.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts