Blind + Crazy: High Speed Madness Pt Ii

Postby crazychris on Mon 13/Oct/08 10:51am

On Saturday they had the 6hr/12hr race at McLeans Island, which meant it was nice and clean on Sunday, but also that the track was not full of psycho bikers going hell for leather, but instead was chocka block full of families enjoying the sunshine and the great (fantastic!) outdoors.

We were here to try and get some lap times on the track, see if we can set a good time for a tandem. Lap one was a little slow as we had company ofthe small kind for the first leg, but they were farmed off after a couple of k's and speed picked up. The corners are still way too sharp, the trees are still in the way, the track is still very narrow and windy and bumpy and full of rocks, but we knock the first lap off in good time.

Without delay, we're into lap two. Higher speeds this time, faster corners, tighter turns, bumpier bumps, and we finish the second lap a couple of minutes faster than the first. The tracks' bumps are quite different at higher speeds. It's like the difference between riding over a rough surface, and riding a horse at a gallop. The 'waves' seem to catch the tandem just right, synchronising the rise and fall of us both like some kind of insane merry-go-round.

Logan now has a new seat post, something that had been an issue for a while now, and he's discovered the joys ofrigid mountain biking and it's effects on your rear end. Not being one to complain (well, actually, I'm not one to listen to the complaints of others) we start off on lap number three. Less than 10 seconds in, we are joined by a workmate of mine who has clicked off one lap already and tags along for another behind us. She's along for the comedy value alone. I want her to see just how close Logan gets to the trees as we go around the corners. (Turns out, heaps of room, I'm taking the corners so wide he has massive amounts of space, sometimes several inches between him and the trees.) This lap is our fastest, but most damaging, so is declared our last of the day.

Lap one was 35.5 mins. Lap two was just under 34 mins. Lap three was just over 32 mins. This puts our average speed for the last lap on this bendy windy course at just a tad under 20kph which is good. We canbeat that as we have some areas where we can improve and get better and faster, and now I know we can take the corners sharper too! The trees we graze on the open area will be grazier (ooh, new word) and some of the other corners will be less slow and less wide (see: faster and sharper) and we'll knock this puppy off in less than 30 mins before long.

Next weekend, hills.

urgh.

Link to original article: http://blindcrazy.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... pt-ii.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://blindcrazy.blogspot.com/feeds/po ... lt?alt=rss
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 13/Oct/08 1:17pm

Nice work! Some of those berms must be quite tricky to circumnavigate on the tandem.

Out of curiosity, do you call each bend or corner out, or can your buddy Logan feel what you're trying to do with the bike and go with the flow?
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 13/Oct/08 1:24pm

I do call some corners, mostly the S-bends. Logan is able to follow the bike, and while cornering is a bit harder, it's not impossible, especially if he's relaxed and going with the flow. Similar to being the passenger on a motorbike I guess, just go with it.

The hard part is the timing of the leans, where a solo adjusts around the corner as needed, on a tandem, adjustments are not possible.

There are some tight corners, a few tricky bits, but I've done the track enough times solo to know where the hard bits really are. Funny thing is, the trees are way closer on a tandem, the corners are way tighter, and the stopbanks seem very narrow sometimes... One of the descents off the stopbank goes down between a few trees and it's a tight squeeze at speed, and I am still yet to make it through without using the brakes... soon tho!
crazychris

Postby radiusq on Mon 13/Oct/08 3:31pm

I've had a chance to read more of your blog. Excellent stuff! It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun, and also making blistering progress considering you've only been at it since September. I'm looking forward to reading your reports back from your first run down Rapaki. Muahahaha.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby crazychris on Mon 13/Oct/08 3:41pm

Rapaki be damned! Our first downhill should be on the Anaconda!
crazychris

Postby radiusq on Tue 14/Oct/08 2:55pm

crazychris wrote: Rapaki be damned! Our first downhill should be on the Anaconda!

woot! I am liking your style!
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby crazychris on Tue 14/Oct/08 2:57pm

...actually... we'll do Kennedys Bush track instead.
crazychris

Cycling - Latest Posts