Bikes On American Airlines - Anyone Tried It??

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 15/Jan/16 2:44pm

Hey there
planing a usa mtb getaway & American Airlines have some really sharp fares that include 2 x 23kg bags BUT it seems they may be happy to charge for baggage items that are over 62 linear inches which would quickly bring cost up to or over similar AirNZ fare (AirNZ only stipulate items be less than 2m in length, and under 23kg)

Anyone got experience of flying American Airlines Auckland to LA or Frisco?? & how did you fare with bike baggage??
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Bikes On American Airlines - Anyone Tried It??

Postby dwgknz on Fri 15/Jan/16 2:58pm

Is it a code share? If so whose plane is it and who has the best deal?

I found when travelling Virgin Australia on Delta tickets recently that I was able to choose the best deal from each. So got the 2x23 x 4 from Delta and 2 additional free infant items from Virgin.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby philstar on Fri 15/Jan/16 3:06pm

some good info in this thread

flying-with-bike-t127182.html

not American Airlines specific

you could try
dwgknz wrote:Split across 3 large suitcases and frame in a hockey bag could be a goer.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Fri 15/Jan/16 3:16pm

philstar wrote:some good info in this thread

flying-with-bike-t127182.html

not American Airlines specific

you could try
dwgknz wrote:Split across 3 large suitcases and frame in a hockey bag could be a goer.

All depends on your partner however! Never got to try this......
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 15/Jan/16 4:02pm

dwgknz wrote:Is it a code share? If so whose plane is it and who has the best deal?

I found when travelling Virgin Australia on Delta tickets recently that I was able to choose the best deal from each. So got the 2x23 x 4 from Delta and 2 additional free infant items from Virgin.

It may be a code share with Qantas, not sure on that, but as the trans-Pacific leg is the biggest it is dominant in terms of which airlines rules, rule for the whole ticket journey. Other legs are on United & Alaska airlines.

Seems to me the biggest variable is just who you get at the counter at checkin - somebody who's having a good day/sunny disposition or "Mr/Mrs/Ms Rulebook", who is anally attached to enforcing the rules .....
pedalingkiwi

Postby mfw on Fri 15/Jan/16 4:13pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:planing a usa mtb getaway

:alien:
Look forward to the ride report :thumbsup:

pedalingkiwi wrote:blah blah blah... 23kg bags... blah blah blah

An excuse to buy a lighter bike? :p
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 15/Jan/16 4:53pm

mfw wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:planing a usa mtb getaway

:alien:
Look forward to the ride report :thumbsup:

pedalingkiwi wrote:blah blah blah... 23kg bags... blah blah blah

An excuse to buy a lighter bike? :p

But the planning process is just as exciting as the actual occasion ..... planning and anticipation goes on months longer .... have today ordered maps for Grand Tetons region, Sawtooth Mtns (both Idaho), and Oakridge in central, heavily forested Oregon.
23kg packed into a Tardis is sometimes not recognised as being a bicycle at check-in, but ya can't be sure you'll succeed in sneaking it through .....
pedalingkiwi

Postby tcr on Fri 15/Jan/16 6:16pm

It can be luck of who you get at the counter.

Flew AA from SF to LA and back a few months ago, with an Evoc bike bag. The jerk in SF immediately said "that'll be $150 for the bike." After some discussion, I was just charged $25 (it was my only checked item, which seemed to be the determinant for getting the lesser amount). On the way back to SF, at LAX, no mention was made of $150; I just paid $25 again.

Looking at the baggage policy though, I probably should've been charged $150 each time as the bag dimensions are greater than 158cm.

American Airlines
$150 regardless of number of checked bags. However, if the package is less than 62 dimensional inches and less than 50 lbs, just the standard first checked baggage fees of $25 applies. You can get a packed bike to weigh less than 50 lbs but only the Ruster Hen House bike bags will allow you to skate in at less than 62 dimensional inches. The Ruster Hen House is actually two separate bags: one for your frame and a second one for your wheels. Both bags are within the 62 inch limits. However, you will then be checking 3 bags in total if you have your own luggage. American Airlines charges $150 for the 3rd checked bag. Give that this is the same as their standard bike charge, it is clear that they will get you one way or another!

http://www.elementsport.ca/travelling-w ... r-research
tcr
Member for: 6 years 2 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Fri 15/Jan/16 9:39pm

thanks tcr - think I'm coming back to good ole AirNZ as best bet. Although trip is not till August will make a point of enquiring/doing research along the way & reporting back
pedalingkiwi

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts