Bikepacking Buying

Postby dburger on Tue 7/Apr/15 10:32pm

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some bikepacking gear for touring. My bike does not have pannier attachments. Need to hold a tent, sleeping bag and other necessities.

Does anyone have any recommendations about where to buy bikepaking gear.

Is anyone selling any bikepacking gear?

From the research I've done Revelate brand bags look good, but they are pretty pricey.

Thanks,
Max
dburger
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Re: Bikepacking Buying

Postby Danny B on Tue 7/Apr/15 10:52pm

Revelate bags are distributed in NZ through Cycletech. You can buy directly from their website or from a few retailer around the country (not many). CT's pricing is pretty much on par to what you'd pay in in North America (once you've factored in tax and shipping). I have a full set of Revelate bags that I bought prior to riding this year's Kiwi Brevet. Set me back about $700. Not cheap buy they're well thought out and well made pieces of kit. Very happy with mine.

Recommendations for bikepacking gear. Hmmm.... pretty open question. Depends on your planned route, what time of year... how much gear you want to take etc.

I had a RD framebag, a medium Sweetroll, a Terrapin seatbag, a Gastank and a Large pocket. Was a good setup for three days in the bush - travelling light-ish but well provisioned. Would need a little more storage space if doing it in winter, (probs get a couple of feedbags if I was doing that). FWIW my bike was 12kg bare and 26kg loaded up (inc food & water)

There's other brands - Stealth Bike Bags (Wellington), Porcelain Rocket, Wildcat, Apidura, Oveja Negra, BikeBagDude... as far as I can tell they're all in the same ballpark. And a fair whack more if you want custom.

I'd be having a good read on Bikepacking.net
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Tue 28/Apr/15 12:01pm

I am in the same position want to do some tourin, no lugs on my bike,

has anyone used a rack like this where the skewer mounts the rack?

or should i just bit eh bullet and buy a freeload/thule pack n' peddle http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=605&listid=31&slistid=&seo=Thule_Pack_%92n_Pedal%99_100016_%28TR-1%29_Tour_Rack
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby znomit on Tue 28/Apr/15 1:11pm

Thats really an n+1 problem Phil
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Tue 28/Apr/15 1:38pm

znomit wrote:Thats really an n+1 problem Phil

:)
it is more of a storage +1 problem, which I have already reached. otherwise

I know the solution is more storage :)
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Orphan on Tue 28/Apr/15 3:33pm

I can vouch for the Freeload, it's amazing.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Tue 28/Apr/15 4:08pm

dburger wrote:Hi,

I'm looking to buy some bikepacking gear for touring.

On or off road, suspension or no suspension?
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby snr_merv on Tue 28/Apr/15 4:25pm

Revelate bag strapped to my bike, with a big hydration backpack for the overflow, was my Kiwi Brevet solution to this.
1622594_10151843380327101_1602199929_n.jpg
snr_merv
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Tue 28/Apr/15 5:24pm

Here was my Kiwi Brevet setup Subject: Kiwi Brevet 2014
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 29/Apr/15 7:40am

philstar wrote:I am in the same position want to do some tourin, no lugs on my bike,

or should i just bit eh bullet and buy a freeload/thule pack n' peddle http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=605&listid=31&slistid=&seo=Thule_Pack_%92n_Pedal%99_100016_%28TR-1%29_Tour_Rack

I've not used the rack you have linked above, but haved used a freeload for Brevet and a buch of other riding, the way they mount up is really secure, and very simple, which is nice when you are packing light.
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby ryda on Wed 29/Apr/15 8:04am

pushbikerider wrote:
philstar wrote:I am in the same position want to do some tourin, no lugs on my bike,

I've not used the rack you have linked above, but haved used a freeload for Brevet and a buch of other riding, the way they mount up is really secure, and very simple, which is nice when you are packing light.

your's is the sport? curved deck and no pannier mounts
http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_i ... submenuid=

Scaredy Cat has one on her 29'r HT..done a fair few ks now.... I'm on the verge of requiring one to haul the extra crap when I go out for remote Night Shoots (camera) :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 29/Apr/15 6:54pm

ryda wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

your's is the sport? curved deck and no pannier mounts
http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_i ... submenuid=

Scaredy Cat has one on her 29'r HT..done a fair few ks now.... I'm on the verge of requiring one to haul the extra crap when I go out for remote Night Shoots (camera) :paranoid:

Nope I've got a tour deck on mine (flat deck with the side rails, just no panier supports)

But you can change the decks easily from sport to tour, as the frame is the same
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby philstar on Wed 29/Apr/15 7:31pm

pushbikerider wrote:
Nope I've got a tour deck on mine (flat deck with the side rails, just no panier supports)

But you can change the decks easily from sport to tour, as the frame is the same

do you need panier supports if you have semi ridged back on your panniers ?
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 29/Apr/15 8:00pm

philstar wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

do you need panier supports if you have semi ridged back on your panniers ?

Those look like they would work fine on a tour type deck without the supports,
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Bags | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Cycling Accessories - Latest Posts