Re: Bikenz: National Cycleway – Like Winning Lotto For Cyclists

Postby kiwi_zg on Fri 12/Feb/10 11:59am

skint wrote:So that's two projects in Bill English's electorate?

English will probably find some loop hole to claim something from the cycle way going through his area.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby jimmi on Sat 30/Jul/11 9:52am

An update spotted on nzherald.co.nz.....roll on summer!!!

The first cycle touring routes under the New Zealand Cycle Trail will be opened next month. The routes, to be opened on August 20 and 21, will be from Taumarunui to New Plymouth (including part of the Forgotten World Highway), from Taumarunui to Whakahoro (linking to the Ruapehu-Whanganui Trails) and from Taumarunui to Ongarue (linking to the Pureora Timber Trail).
Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Sat 30/Jul/11 12:59pm

jimmi wrote:An update spotted on nzherald.co.nz.....roll on summer!!!

The first cycle touring routes under the New Zealand Cycle Trail will be opened next month. The routes, to be opened on August 20 and 21, will be from Taumarunui to New Plymouth (including part of the Forgotten World Highway), from Taumarunui to Whakahoro (linking to the Ruapehu-Whanganui Trails) and from Taumarunui to Ongarue (linking to the Pureora Timber Trail).
Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.

http://www.nzcycletrail.com/news-media/ ... es-opening
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby MattV on Sat 30/Jul/11 1:14pm

180k ride from Taumaranui to NP with no mobile coverage in the case of an emergency :crazy:

It is nice out there though
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Sat 30/Jul/11 1:28pm

Is there a route map?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby MattV on Sat 30/Jul/11 2:25pm

None that I can see - yet. But it turns out I know a guy who should know...
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby catmannz on Sat 30/Jul/11 2:38pm

MattV wrote:None that I can see - yet. But it turns out I know a guy who should know...

Green MP Kevin Hague will know. He posts on Vorb every now and then
catmannz
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby ryda on Sat 30/Jul/11 9:53pm

you could always click on the news link (above)to officail web site..last time I check there there was a map?
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Sun 31/Jul/11 11:51am

ryda wrote:you could always click on the news link (above)to officail web site..last time I check there there was a map?

:blink:
http://www.nzcycletrail.com/region/taranaki
:blink:
znomit

Postby Simonk on Sun 31/Jul/11 6:44pm

Map updates are 'on the way'.

Hard to get away from traffic for a significant distance without also getting away from cell phone coverage. But by getting away from traffic you're reducing the chance you'll need a cell phone to call for a rescue. Personally, I feel the sense of adventure on a bike trip is enhanced by a lack of cell phone coverage.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby catmannz on Sun 31/Jul/11 10:15pm

Simonk wrote:Map updates are 'on the way'.

Hard to get away from traffic for a significant distance without also getting away from cell phone coverage. But by getting away from traffic you're reducing the chance you'll need a cell phone to call for a rescue. Personally, I feel the sense of adventure on a bike trip is enhanced by a lack of cell phone coverage.

For me the rate of disaster seems to always be in direct inverse proportion to cellphone coverage. :p

I hardly ever have problems when I'm in range. But put me in a cellphone black hole and I can guarantee something drastic will happen.
catmannz
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby znomit on Sat 31/Dec/11 1:13pm

The Herald are running a good series of articles on the upper North Island trails right now.
:thumbsup:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cycling/news/ ... fm?c_id=31
znomit

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 31/Dec/11 1:43pm

[grumpyoldman]We never had cellphones in the old days, we just crawled, hopped or walked our way out of trouble. If people are really that worried they can buy or rent a beacon. Or harden the fuck up, take approporiate precautions and deal with their own shit. [/grumpyoldman]
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 5/Jan/12 7:22pm

CrustyMTB wrote:

[grumpyoldman]We never had cellphones in the old days, we just crawled, hopped or walked our way out of trouble. If people are really that worried they can buy or rent a beacon. Or harden the fuck up, take approporiate precautions and deal with their own shit. [/grumpyoldman]

imagine people taking responsibilty for looking after themseves :butbut:
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby xxgreg on Tue 13/Mar/12 11:25am

Just rode a loop on the mountains to sea cycleway, minus the sea bit.

Day 1
Ohakune to Whakahoro (Old coach rd, SH4 to National Park, Fischers Track and back roads to Whakahoro).

Day 2
Whakahoro to Nowhere and back to the Mangapurua Trig.

Day 3
Mangapurua Trig to Ohakune (Ruatiti rd, Middle rd to horopito and back down the old coach rd).

Epic ride, recommend it to anyone.
xxgreg
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | News | Regions - Latest Posts