Re: Bikenz Delighted About Funding For London Olympics Campaign

Postby johnL on Wed 25/Feb/09 2:24pm

im late to this but
Timed events are easy to see if a result is attainable, hence track.

Two riders in BMX and two in MTB xc are currently at the world top 16 level. there is no one else.
MTB rant starts.....
Riders like Robyn, Sonia, Mikey, Clinton, Stuart, and Sadie were consistently 11% or worse behind the winning time in all world cups, when Rosara started her first world cup she was about 9% behind (no one from further than 10% behind EVER makes it to the elite top 5 EVER)

Natural talent plus training! we have plenty of successful athletes that train well or have Natural talent but seldom both.

There are only a handfull of women mtb riders total and the gap between them is huge. In the men it still the same riders winning, no one else has popped up (but would be good to give Patrick and Dirk some assistance to top level racing before worlds in Canberra but they wont get to Europe)
ok kick me
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Simonk on Wed 25/Feb/09 3:28pm

Interesting.

What I'd love to see is somebody like Rosara being coached by somebody like Susy AND John Kirkcaldie or Vanessa or Gabby. She's as strong as an ox, but keeps crashing (and is no doubt using up extra energy riding on the verge of crashing much of the time).

That Kashi raced DH in his early days has been huge in his success, I reckon.

If the status quo continues, I don't foresee any MTB medals in London, but would enjoy seeing our riders sneak into the top ten again.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Bling on Wed 25/Feb/09 3:50pm

I would have thought that maybe Samara, given she's only 18 can ride the rough stuff, can beat the current riders on the right course might have a chance of getting there?
Bling
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Wed 25/Feb/09 3:57pm

it's a catch 22 for mtb, as it appears to me that there is talent coming through, but mtb'ing is lacking in funding to help these riders achieve their potential. As unfortunately the funding will come if there is a break through medal performance at a world champs or higher event.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Spokes on Wed 25/Feb/09 4:06pm

I thought Marc Willers was world #5. Am I wrong on this?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Joel on Wed 25/Feb/09 4:12pm

Spokes wrote:I thought Marc Willers was world #5. Am I wrong on this?

dunno, but BMX is specifically listed as a target area, along side track
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Wed 25/Feb/09 4:31pm

Spokes wrote:
Oli wrote:Well he's already getting funding, isn't he? Wasn't he supposed to have a shot in Beijing? :eh:

Yes he has. And made the finals, I think.

Those guys are super fast. Would be intresting what you could do to the bike to make it faster.

Willers didn't make it to the final, he took out a bunch of guys in 2 of the Semi's.
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Tama on Fri 27/Feb/09 8:57am

Opinion piece from John McBeth:
http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/mcbe ... ar-2504908 wrote:This week's funding announcement from SPARC has produced just one little criticism from a sport disappointed at the amount that they've been granted.

Triathlon CEO, Dave Beech, tentatively expressed his regret that SPARC is failing to look further ahead than 2012 and that his sport will need to reassess their future planning.

Beech was honest and possibly somewhat brave too. No sport is going to risk running foul of their major source of funding by openly criticising the hand that goes into the moneybag. Everyone else is politely saying thank you, although privately some are already trimming their strategic plans.

Six sports have been targeted by SPARC as likely medal winners in London 2012. At least 10 medals is the target under SPARC's high performance strategy.

To help achieve this, Sport and Recreation New Zealand is budgeting to spend 49 million dollars on the six sports over the next four years.

The fortunate sports are athletics, triathlon, swimming, yachting, rowing and cycling.

On the surface, these six are justified in being chosen ahead of all others. Between them they won all nine of New Zealand's medals at the Beijing Olympics.

Rowing appears likely to become this country's most successful Olympic sport, even though the Evers-Swindells have retired. Depth of talent in this sport is enviable.

Bike NZ, which administers all forms of cycling including BMX and mountain biking, won two medals in Beijing, but continues to impress with a highly successful recruitment and development programme. Recent form in the Olympic velodrome suggests further exciting times ahead for women's track cycling, while BMX promises plenty with New Zealanders dominating the junior world rankings, and five men and three women in the elite top 20s.

Triathlon is at something of a disadvantage in that there are only six medals available at an Olympics, but they recently had five athletes in the world top 10 and have won three Olympic medals and numerous Commonwealth Games and world championship medals.

There have been many questions thrown at SPARC regarding the funding distributed to swimming. They have not won an Olympic medal since 1996. So how do they fit into the overall picture? This is where SPARC's criteria come under scrutiny. They do not allocate funding solely for the obvious reasons - medals won. They consider depth in talent, potential, high performance coaching systems, development pathways and how impressive the administration of a sport is - how focussed they are on raising standards.

Does swimming deserve the funding?

Swimming has a quality of depth not seen for many years, and the best are continuing to improve under a highly effective coaching system. The emergence of world youth champion Daniel Bell and the improvement of Glen Snyders are just two factors which justify swimming's inclusion in the six elite sports. They also happen to have eight or nine swimmers in the top 16 in the world.

SPARC will reassess this latest round of funding after two years. At this time, the six sports will need to have achieved certain targets and to have ticked all the boxes to ensure a continuation of support.

Yachting and athletics might face the toughest two years.

Valerie Vili is clearly at the very top of our hopes for success in London. Kimberly Smith and Nick Willis will probably also carry the responsibility of meeting SPARC's criteria. But there will need to be clear signs of progress in the development of promising athletes. Athletics cannot expect to rely on a couple of athletes.

While six New Zealand crews are ranked in the top 20 in world sailing, this sport's coaches will be cognisant of the fact they have attended the last three Olympics promising a great deal but eventually underachieving.

This might sound harsh in view of the achievement of Tom Ashley last year but if it weren't for boardsailing, and in particular Barbara Kendall, yachting would be struggling for inclusion among the top six.

The most recent non-boardsailing Olympic medals were won in Barcelona. The Finn and Tornado class golds and silvers from 1984 and 1988 were wonderful achievements, but these days those two classes struggle with not enough numbers to even hold national championships.

So the fact that SPARC has granted big bikkies to these sports does not mean all is rosy within.

They all need to continue to convince the funding agency that they are indeed on track to win medals in 2012.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby lubie on Fri 27/Feb/09 1:09pm

Well written I think - Facts without the bias. Thanks for posting Tama :)
lubie
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby BottleRocket on Fri 27/Feb/09 7:16pm

Fergie wrote:Four years out from London is there anyone you would realistically say will be contending for medals in London.

Walker, Shanks, Roulston, Sergent, Teams Pursuit. Any others?

This is where we should target our very limited resources.

nah man, i reckon pickard will get in
BottleRocket
"Snurf, Snurf"
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby nickfox on Fri 8/May/09 7:28pm

Spokes wrote:I thought Marc Willers was world #5. Am I wrong on this?

marcs best world placing was 6th at paris worlds in 2005
2008 worlds i think he fell in quarters. hes never been w5 ever.
marc just has had a hell of alot of bad luck though.
also kurt pickard will definetly be faster than him soon for sure
nickfox
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby dented on Wed 24/Oct/12 7:19am

Very interesting to see this thread dredged up, and see who the last (proper) poster was in '09.
I wonder if Nick Fox is a shot at Rio 2016 now. Surely the best NZ has to offer after Willers and Pickard (at present) and on the improve all the time. Made the final at Abbotsford SX in August.....
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

BMX Racing | BMX Riding | Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts