Calendar Event: April 4, 2009

Bikehq Merida 12 Hour Day/ Nighter & 6 Hour Solo Hammer

Postby XCrider on Sun 22/Mar/09 11:51am

The BikeHQ Merida 12 Hour Day/Nighter & 6 Hour Solo Hammer is a not to be missed event, great mountain biking combined with the atmosphere created when several hundred like minded mountain bikers get together.

The concept of a 12 Hour Race is very basic. Simply ride as many laps of the 10 km (approx) loop course as you can in 12 hours. You can ride solo or in a team, be competitive or be relaxed.

DATE
Saturday 4th April 2009
10am - 10pm.

ENTRY
Entry is by Pre Entry only. Click on link to download entry form (top right of this page). Last date for entries to be in: Wed, 25th March 2009.

WHERE
The Horse Paddock, behind the DOC HQ, Jollies Pass Rd, Hanmer Springs.

DISTANCE
Approx 10 km loop course (20-35 mins per lap)

COURSE
Excellent single & 4WD track within the Hanmer Forest.
Exact course details will be released closer to the date.

http://www.bluedogevents.co.nz/12hr_MountainBike.aspx
XCrider
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Re: Bikehq Merida 12 Hour Day/nighter & 6 Hour Solo Hammer

Postby neels on Sun 22/Mar/09 8:38pm

Guess I should get an entry in before wednesday :o

What other vorbii are heading along for a ride this year?

Just been reading the course description, a couple of bits missing from last year (well the start of last year anyway), the red rocks track and detox sections have been left out. Hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder and the course can stay the same for the whole day :D
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Mon 23/Mar/09 9:19am

I am hitting up 12hrs of solo monkey madness. I am just hoping to not disqualified this year. :paranoid:

I dont think the track will be as intersting as previous years. Might be wrong as I am not too sharp with the names of the tracks.
JUANGEAR
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby hpg on Mon 23/Mar/09 11:04am

Yep the track looks like it has been dumbed down a bit. Entries seem a bit slow too. I wonder if there is a link there?
hpg
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Mon 23/Mar/09 2:16pm

I am guessing there are other reasons for lower or slower entry numbers.

Mcleans Island always gets a good number of entries and look at how average that track is.
JUANGEAR
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby danose on Mon 23/Mar/09 2:20pm

JUANGEAR wrote:I dont think the track will be as intersting as previous years. Might be wrong as I am not too sharp with the names of the tracks.

hanmer has always attracted a diverse range of riders, a lot of whom were obviously having a very hard time of it last year in more challenging conditions, so I can understand rod wanting to dial the riding level back a bit

start lap down detox last year was hilarious in the rain - bodies everywhere :)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby neels on Mon 23/Mar/09 2:40pm

danose wrote:start lap down detox last year was hilarious in the rain - bodies everywhere :)

Second lap was just as hilarious, people trying to ride over the people that had decided to walk it.

It's pretty much the course that was being used at the end of the day last year, minus the climb up to and descent down red rocks to the start of the upper dog stream track.

JUANGEAR wrote: I am guessing there are other reasons for lower or slower entry numbers.

Same weekend as the graperide? A bit annoying that, I was intending to do both but hanmer rated higher with my team mates :rolleyes:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby danose on Mon 23/Mar/09 2:45pm

neels wrote:Second lap was just as hilarious, people trying to ride over the people that had decided to walk it.

mad simon did our 2nd lap from memory - I feel sorry for anyone in th way down detox when he came thru, only has one speed and it's 120% :)

Same weekend as the graperide? A bit annoying that, I was intending to do both but hanmer rated higher with my team mates :rolleyes:

same issue this weekend with Living Springs and Le Race on the same day :(
danose

Postby XCguy on Mon 23/Mar/09 2:52pm

danose wrote:same issue this weekend with Living Springs and Le Race on the same day :(

We didn't have much choice. This time of year there are so many events on that every event clashes with something. We figure having our XC event clash with a road event would affect far fewer riders than if we were to clash with another XC event (like the Coppermine). The Hanmer 12 hr clashing with Graperide would also only affect a few riders I suspect. Besides, they are all annual events so riders who are affected can do one this year and the other next year :thumbsup:

You in a 12hr team this year Danose?
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby danose on Mon 23/Mar/09 2:55pm

XCguy wrote:You in a 12hr team this year Danose?

nah - I'm still too traumatised by the 16 hours of bike maintenance the '8 hour' last year required :D
danose

Postby kender on Mon 23/Mar/09 6:00pm

neels wrote:
What other vorbii are heading along for a ride this year?

I'll be there. I've entered in the 6hr solo which should be interesting as my longest ride to date is only 4 hours :hmmm:
kender
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby XCrider on Wed 1/Apr/09 8:18pm

WOOT not far away now . . . . after two years doing both solo's im doing pit crew this year should be a bit more relaxing looks like it should be a lovely day as well.
XCrider
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby Slim on Wed 1/Apr/09 8:51pm

I am in the 6 solo too...........I am up for a world of hurt.
Slim
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 2/Apr/09 7:01am

danose wrote:
XCguy wrote:You in a 12hr team this year Danose?

nah - I'm still too traumatised by the 16 hours of bike maintenance the '8 hour' last year required :D

I had to get a new bike after the race last year. Was an absolute mudbath.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Bikehq Merida 12 Hour Day/ Nighter & 6 Hour Solo Hammer

Postby Dean on Thu 2/Apr/09 7:17pm

Hey, we have beds available for Friday and Saturday nights in a new house rented for the Hanmer 12 hour MTB race this weekend with fellow competitors. Double and single beds available. The more that stay, the cheaper the cost per person but if we fill the house it will cost only $16 per person per night! Any inquiries please phone Dean Hamilton or Sara Taylor on 352 8520 or 021 0332107.

Cheers!
Dean
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Events | Hanmer Springs | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | North Canterbury | Regions - Latest Posts