Re: Bike Storage

Postby CrashTested on Wed 6/Nov/13 10:20pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Padded U hooks from Mitre 10. Roadies are pretty light to life up and hand from front wheel :)

Bad english teacher. Bad.
CrashTested
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 7/Nov/13 6:26am

Trail wrote:4x2 attached to the wall at just above the height of the wheelbase of a bike. Cheap Bunnings hooks into said 4x2. Spaced at just over half the width of your handlebars... which has caught me out coz I put them up when my widest bars were about 680mm, then it went 710... which was ok. Now up to 760 and am running into space problems! 5 bikes on the wall in 2.1m...

Yeah bugger it. I'm having them same issue. :(
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby jo on Thu 7/Nov/13 11:29am

Two 4x2s, offset vertically by 300mm should fix it.

edit: soz, Col said it first.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Thu 7/Nov/13 11:44am

I dont have room for 2 x 4x2. My shed aint tall enough.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Mon 12/Oct/15 9:44pm

i am looking for a bike rack to bolt to the ground at work. anyone go any advice?

looking at something like this

or

or

kinda want something one sided so that people don't block the path on the other side
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 13/Oct/15 2:08pm

All of those look like DEATH TO DÉRAILLEURS. :hmmm:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 13/Oct/15 2:39pm

We have the last one stuck to a wall, works sweet. Works shit flat on the floor

Hope this helps.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Tue 13/Oct/15 4:56pm

Wobbler wrote:We have the last one stuck to a wall, works sweet. Works shit flat on the floor

Hope this helps.

helps somewhat, will probably go with one of the others (as wall mounting is not an option), if i cant find something a little less derailleur destroying.

don't quite have the budget for http://www.cora.com.au/bikeracks/multiplebikeracks/
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby jo on Tue 13/Oct/15 5:00pm

If we had enough floor for bikes flat I'd just go for those plain upside-down-U shapes. Simple and effective.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 13/Oct/15 5:19pm

But the U shaped ones are no good for the deraillers nor the front wheel if the bike gets knocked to the side...

One of the more effective ones I have used was at NZ Post where they have a cable along the wall and hooks from the ceiling / roof. I know you said you don't have wall space but could you do roof hanging?
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 13/Oct/15 5:45pm

U shaped ones suck.

Get one like the first picture you posted, with the vertical bars and then the other horizontal bar in front. They look like they'll eat derailleurs on first glance, but depending on their dimensions they're normally the kindest, plus the rack can be wide enough for knobbly tires but still hold tiny slicks perfectly. They don't fuck up your spokes like other ones can, and they still work on a slight incline. They're fairly high so they're easy to lock to.

Evidence for derailleur kindness and wheel compatibility:
http://www.xpblocker.com/images/Bike%20 ... 0frame.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xmOSHcku5ck/0.jpg

Lots of clearance, bikes are held in there mint.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby beetroot on Tue 13/Oct/15 8:32pm

Another consideration like derailuer-eaters is disc brakes...

One option that'll take any tyre size, etc. you throw at it, and bikes can top and tail for more space. is the stands at auckland uni (dunno if they're still there??) pictures on this thread:
university-auckland-secure-bike-storage-petition-t127036.html

Clearly this design is great in many ways. narrower profile across footpath due to angle parking, takes any sized tyres, easily accepts U-locks (but only through frame)

yes, they can be vandalised and bikes stolen, but A.U.was bike theft central, and most of this was cables/chains being cut. so they weren't the weakest link.
beetroot
Member for: 2 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Tue 13/Oct/15 10:22pm

beetroot wrote:Another consideration like derailuer-eaters is disc brakes...

One option that'll take any tyre size, etc. you throw at it, and bikes can top and tail for more space. is the stands at auckland uni (dunno if they're still there??) pictures on this thread:
university-auckland-secure-bike-storage-petition-t127036.html

Clearly this design is great in many ways. narrower profile across footpath due to angle parking, takes any sized tyres, easily accepts U-locks (but only through frame)

yes, they can be vandalised and bikes stolen, but A.U.was bike theft central, and most of this was cables/chains being cut. so they weren't the weakest link.

cant relay see from the photos, but looks like a gutter fro the wheels with post in the middle on 3 rails (is there a top rail)

there is a concert post either side of where the bike rack is going, would a pole or bar fixed between the 2 posts work?(like an event type bike rack, that you hook your seat on) or would that be too hard to lock to for most people?
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby philstar on Tue 13/Oct/15 10:34pm

jo wrote:If we had enough floor for bikes flat I'd just go for those plain upside-down-U shapes. Simple and effective.

this type of thing ?

might be a problem mounting them but i is what i would put in if i had full control.

or these
Last edited by philstar on Tue 13/Oct/15 10:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby AgrAde on Tue 13/Oct/15 10:57pm

You mean the ones that scratch the crap out of your bike or completely knock it over and tangle it in the lock if someone touches it, while taking up heaps of space and providing room for very few bikes?
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts