Bike Set Up.

Postby notanotherhill on Sat 21/Nov/09 12:21pm

Hi Guys

Well i got my giant all sorted and went out today for a quick 30k

The 2010 fox f100rlc are awsome, So predictable into a corner a little stiff being new but that should improve

From my 08 anthem i had one spacer and a 110 steem, Now on this anthem x I have the same steem and 2 x 10mm spacer on top of a 20mm cone.

I felf ggod but almost more squashed, More upright as you would expect But more closed in

This could well be my imagination, But would you suggest to take out one 10mm spacer ? or leave the height there and turn the steem up side down?

I already have a 110 steem on there so i guess this comes down to spacers i think

It feels a better climber at the moment that the old set up but just a little squashed i guess because of the 40mm of spacers

The 15 Through axle is the ducks nuts.. Love them

Cheers
notanotherhill
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Re: Bike Set Up.

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 21/Nov/09 1:01pm

try putting the 2 10 mm spacers on top, and ride. Then flip the stem and ride.
Thats the racers preferred set up on an anthem x
SlackBoy
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby notanotherhill on Sat 21/Nov/09 1:09pm

Thanks, I will try this

Would it be ok to have the steem straight on top of the carbon top cone?

I presume if this works out i would not cut the forks further just leave the 2 10mm spacer on top
notanotherhill

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 21/Nov/09 1:15pm

that carbon top cone is just a spacer. It's fine to do so
SlackBoy
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby danose on Sat 21/Nov/09 4:24pm

notanotherhill wrote:I presume if this works out i would not cut the forks further just leave the 2 10mm spacer on top

comes down to aesthetics and how concerned you are about getting a 20mm spacer stack in the chest.

Personally I'd leave it uncut as it's easier to re-sell forks with longer steerers (fit more frames) and if I do hit the spacers I was probably about to eat the stem anyway. However if you're a serious weight weenie or certain you'll never on-sell the fork go ahead and cut the excess

oh - and if you're feeling cramped double check how you've got the bars oriented - easy to rotate them back a bit much during assembly and suddenly give yourself a pile of unwanted backsweep, further shortening the cockpit

you could always chuck some 580mm carbon flats on it :satan: :satan: :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby notanotherhill on Sat 21/Nov/09 4:39pm

Hi,

Danose this are flats already.
giants 001.JPG
notanotherhill

Postby Mel on Sat 21/Nov/09 8:13pm

Another thing to check is your seat position - perhaps measure the distance between your seat and bars. It looks like you have a seatpost with ~1" setback on the Trance, but on the Anthem you have a Thomson with no setback. You might need to slide the seat back a bit, or even get a Thomson with a layback.
Mel
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby FSR_Man on Sat 21/Nov/09 8:22pm

get properly fitted up from a bike shop. they will check everything is in the right place for you
FSR_Man
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby notanotherhill on Sat 21/Nov/09 8:24pm

Hi, Yes i thought about a layback. I think now i have the 20mm of spacers out it should put me a little further out and down

Im not sure why it has such a big change in fell to my 08 anthem as both are the same. I am puttling this down to adding in the 2 x 20mm spacers so taking them out should fix this.

I do have a raceface dues xc seat post if someone wants a trade for a layback.
notanotherhill

Postby notanotherhill on Sun 22/Nov/09 3:23pm

update today, Went up rapaki and along the top etc.

I took out the 2 x 10mm spacers and its a great ride now esp climbing, Best ride up that hill i have had in a while

Cheers
notanotherhill

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 23/Nov/09 8:43am

I rode the CSC short track races first race on son's 08 Anthem which felt good (apart from seat being 20mm too low) and 2nd & 3rd races on my 08 Trance which felt rubbish in comparison. Couldn't keep the Trance on the track, always running wide. Very floatly and vague steering. Anthem was very pointy. Put them alongside each other and there not much visable difference. I know 3.5" vs 4.2" travel . I was surprised how different they were. Anyone got a medium Anthem frame lying around ???
UK_Exile
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby notanotherhill on Mon 23/Nov/09 10:27am

I found the 08 anthem tuened a little wide, But this is my cornering skills.

But after putting the 15mm quick release axle in is been awsome, Verry predictable
notanotherhill

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 24/Nov/09 8:20am

So the 2010 Anthem X with 4" travel turns better than the 08 with 3.5" ? I'm womdering what a 2010 frame costs. I could swap my trance parts
UK_Exile
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby danose on Tue 24/Nov/09 11:44am

UK_Exile wrote:So the 2010 Anthem X with 4" travel turns better than the 08 with 3.5" ? I'm womdering what a 2010 frame costs. I could swap my trance parts

AnthemX - 71.0 head angle
08 anthem - 72.0 with an 80mm fork (NZ spec was a 100mm fork so closer to 71.0)

I'd expect both to be pretty nimble
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 24/Nov/09 1:51pm

danose wrote:
UK_Exile wrote:So the 2010 Anthem X with 4" travel turns better than the 08 with 3.5" ? I'm womdering what a 2010 frame costs. I could swap my trance parts

AnthemX - 71.0 head angle
08 anthem - 72.0 with an 80mm fork (NZ spec was a 100mm fork so closer to 71.0)

I'd expect both to be pretty nimble

Ive owned both anthems and would a pick a hardtail anyday.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Canterbury MTB Club | Clubs - Latest Posts