Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby thelongwalk on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:42am

RugbySucks wrote:One of the issues that seems to be in the minds of many commenting, is the lack of clear understanding about what benefits will arise from the BikeNZ proposal on Fees. Should a rider pay them.

Personally, I cannot see any gains. We do not need BikeNZ assistance to build trails around Belmont. In the same way that Makara Peak boys don't in Makara. Preferring to get on with building than talking......

From my club' point of view I can though. Especially with insurance cover, for when we are Trail-building on public land.
However, this can be arranged very easily by the club.

Another issue appears to be, that many mtb riders don't have a lot of confidence in any of the extra funds filtering back towards MTB activity.

Timing wise, with the announcement of the new Velodrome in Waikato, my first thought is a bit cynical when it comes to wondering how this will be paid for.

Seems to be a lot more MTBers than trackies. Which translates into a bigger 'ongoing funding resource ' possibility .

My 2.45 cents worth.

I'd think you'd find Rugby that Makara is really struggling to get people to dig new trail/do maintenance. At Polhill we were given $5000 from a running group and it changed the way we could do things, made us a lot stronger. We could hire people to help build track. Some of the school kids we hired dug at Makara. I'd love to see money to help pay for this. Not many people want to push a wheelbarrow of gravel 100-150 metres and then repeat. On a seperate matter I think the city council should also start looking at paying for this also.
thelongwalk
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby BikeNZ_Membership on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:55am

RugbySucks wrote:One of the issues that seems to be in the minds of many commenting, is the lack of clear understanding about what benefits will arise from the BikeNZ proposal on Fees. Should a rider pay them.

Another issue appears to be, that many mtb riders don't have a lot of confidence in any of the extra funds filtering back towards MTB activity.

Timing wise, with the announcement of the new Velodrome in Waikato, my first thought is a bit cynical when it comes to wondering how this will be paid for.

Seems to be a lot more MTBers than trackies. Which translates into a bigger 'ongoing funding resource ' possibility .

My 2.45 cents worth.

For clarity - the Velodrome in Cambridge is being funded by SportNZ and Private sponsors.

Funds from MTB club affiliation and licences are invested back into MTB. In 2011, all MTB licence fees and club affiliation fees were handed back to MTBNZ by BikeNZ.

In 2012, YTD the licence fee and affiliation fees were spent on MTB National Champs, MTB Cup and Oceanias with BikeNZ adding income to make up shortfalls.

In 2013 the projected funds from MTB affiliation to BikeNZ will decrease, so there is a membership drive targetting recreational riders (non MTB club members) to join in order to bridge the shortfall. The funding for club development, trail maintenance skills, events, needs to come from somewhere, and membership is the main channel BikeNZ has. Existing MTB club members can choose to support BikeNZ if they see a benefit.

Hopefully we will see some of you at the MTBNZ AGM tomorrow (details are on the MTBNZ site).
Last edited by BikeNZ_Membership on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.
BikeNZ_Membership
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby BikeNZ_Membership on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:02am

cruiser wrote:*the "financial detail" table contradicts by separately defining MTB licence, BMX licence, BRT licence in the columns ...???

Hi Cruiser, the table you refer to shows the 2013 licence 'map' to the current 2012 licence, so

Ride - Road / School replaces BRT Club, BMX Sprocket

Race - Youth replaces BRT Junior and MTB Junior

Race Senior replaces BRT National, BMX Open, MTB National

Race Elite replaces BRT National

Hope that helps?
BikeNZ_Membership

Postby BikeNZ_Membership on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:15am

thelongwalk wrote:

Personally, I cannot see any gains. We do not need BikeNZ assistance to build trails around Belmont. In the same way that Makara Peak boys don't in Makara. Preferring to get on with building than talking......

From my club' point of view I can though. Especially with insurance cover, for when we are Trail-building on public land.
However, this can be arranged very easily by the club.

My 2.45 cents worth.

I'd think you'd find Rugby that Makara is really struggling to get people to dig new trail/do maintenance. At Polhill we were given $5000 from a running group and it changed the way we could do things, made us a lot stronger. We could hire people to help build track. Some of the school kids we hired dug at Makara. I'd love to see money to help pay for this. Not many people want to push a wheelbarrow of gravel 100-150 metres and then repeat. On a seperate matter I think the city council should also start looking at paying for this also.

Re your point about accessing council funding - make contact with your BikeNZ Regional Development Co-ordinator (RDC)to see what help we can provide with applications >> RDC contact details here http://ow.ly/d3s5d
BikeNZ_Membership

Postby BikeNZ_Membership on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:19am

Sun's out, time for a ride. I'm at the MTBNZ AGM all day tomorrow so will answer your queries best I can on Monday.
BikeNZ_Membership

Postby Joel on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:40am

BikeNZ_Membership wrote:Sun's out, time for a ride. I'm at the MTBNZ AGM all day tomorrow so will answer your queries best I can on Monday.

BTW.. putting your time to answer the questions on here is appreciated. the nature of the forums does mean that you will get the same question several times with slightly different wording
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:49am

Joel wrote:
BikeNZ_Membership wrote:Sun's out, time for a ride. I'm at the MTBNZ AGM all day tomorrow so will answer your queries best I can on Monday.

BTW.. putting your time to answer the questions on here is appreciated. the nature of the forums does mean that you will get the same question several times with slightly different wording

:withstupid:
sifter
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 18/Aug/12 11:26am

sifter wrote:
Joel wrote:

:withstupid: a bit more openess helps. Maybe after the agm we have some answers around the Sam Bewley debacle and the apparent bias toward track (whether perceived or otherwise).
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby mikek on Sat 18/Aug/12 7:44pm

CrustyMTB wrote:a bit more openness helps. Maybe after the AGM we have some answers around the Sam Bewley debacle and the apparent bias toward track (whether perceived or otherwise).

I would like to know is what BikeNZ would have done if the MTBers hadn't qualified a spot for the Olympics, as in where would the track 5th wheel come from then? Would BMX have lost one of their slots to give track the extra rider? :hmmm:
mikek
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:15pm

just another quango with a few lining their pockets...
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby EoinC on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:41pm

Tell us what you've done to help the World, Mickey...
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:44pm

if only... i do more than most
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby EoinC on Sat 18/Aug/12 10:27pm

...and most do naff all, so do feel free to list.
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby BikeNZ_Membership on Mon 20/Aug/12 4:33pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
sifter wrote:
Joel wrote:

:withstupid: a bit more openess helps. Maybe after the agm we have some answers around the Sam Bewley debacle and the apparent bias toward track (whether perceived or otherwise).

I spoke to the MTBNZ selectors at the AGM to understand the background on the Olympic issue.

I’ll preface this post by saying there are a number of processes involved (Olympic, Oceania, National etc) that are complex, and I don’t have a detailed understanding of them all, but I’m providing a summary to add to the discussion, and provide some clarity.

A MTB place was qualified for the Olympics through (I understand) Oceania performance.

The selection panel (made up of 2 x MTBNZ selectors and BikeNZ selectors) can nominate riders to the NZOC for selection to the Olympic team to fill this place. Because of the criteria set by MTBNZ and BikeNZ selectors, no rider qualified, and there was no MTB nomination made to NZOC for Olympic selection.

The MTBNZ selectors stressed at the AGM that their selection criteria is deliberately set high, so riders can perform against the best in the world.

The cycling places at the Olympics are transferable. Given that the selectors did not fill the MTB space, it was to be reallocated across either BMX, Road or Track to meet the objective of ‘winning medals’.

Each code was considered by high performance, and given the selection criteria in each code, the additional rider was added to the Team Pursuit to increase medal potential.

There was a detailed discussion at the AGM on the MTBNZ talent development program to deliver riders that meet the selection criteria for upcoming World Champs, World Cups and the next Olympics in Rio 2016.

I encourage you to contact the new MTBNZ President, or MTBNZ Talent Development team if you want to get involved in making this happen over the coming years.
BikeNZ_Membership

Postby phunk on Mon 20/Aug/12 4:49pm

BikeNZ_Membership wrote:The MTBNZ selectors stressed at the AGM that their selection criteria is deliberately set high, so riders can perform against the best in the world.

Or pressured into setting high criteria by BikeNZ so that no-one qualified and they could reallocate the place to a dirty trackie?
phunk
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts