Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby benw on Fri 17/Aug/12 5:43pm

sifter wrote:
cruiser wrote:What would be of help for a rec rider?

better driving by the wider population making it easier and safer to get to the trailhead...

Yes, while BikeNZ hasn't actually published all the details (not the important ones anyway like how funds would be spent) I believe that it is true that anyone who buys the Trail Membership will get a 100% no-cars-will-hit-you guarantee for 12 months.
benw
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby mark2c on Fri 17/Aug/12 5:50pm

cruiser wrote:What would be of help for a rec rider?

Mainly around event/club insurance and support of up and coming XC and DH riders (the promise of this that didn't happen)...
mark2c
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Fri 17/Aug/12 7:11pm

Are there any MTB events around targeting "recreational" riders?

Roadies seem to flock to Taupo, Round the Mountain (Taranaki/Egmont/whatever it is), but it seems MTB events are only ever races - not fun rides. I'm talking about events like the old "Big coast", etc.

Now that we have a National Cycleway it is certainly feasible to run more events of this nature, focusing more on fun and adventure than straight A->B (or worse... A->B, A->B, A->B, A->B, A->B, A->B, per the National series).

The proliferation of both Enduro/Super-D events and self supported multi day/bikepacking might signal a change in what rec cyclists are looking for - a paradigm shift, away from the tired old lap racing and established "courses", to something with a little more adventure - you know, real Mountain Biking.

IMO
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 17/Aug/12 7:24pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Are there any MTB events around targeting "recreational" riders?

Roadies seem to flock to Taupo, Round the Mountain (Taranaki/Egmont/whatever it is), but it seems MTB events are only ever races - not fun rides. I'm talking about events like the old "Big coast", etc.

Now that we have a National Cycleway it is certainly feasible to run more events of this nature, focusing more on fun and adventure than straight A->B (or worse... A->B, A->B, A->B, A->B, A->B, A->B, per the National series).

The proliferation of both Enduro/Super-D events and self supported multi day/bikepacking might signal a change in what rec cyclists are looking for - a paradigm shift, away from the tired old lap racing and established "courses", to something with a little more adventure - you know, real Mountain Biking.
IMO
:withstupid:
I can't see myself racing again but I will do these types of events when my children give me my life back.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby big_d on Fri 17/Aug/12 8:59pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
Dr. Fuentes wrote:Are there any MTB events around targeting "recreational" riders?

IMO
I can't see myself racing again but I will do these types of events when my children give me my life back.

Yes. The Wellington Mountain Bike Club (WMTBC) have our Mt Vic Super D race that targets recreational riders (last two years, at least a 3rd of entrants were recreational riders who do not race in any other events).
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 18/Aug/12 1:51am

So it seems to me that if I want to race national mtb series. i need a club ride trail membership at the very least ($15 to bikenz) plus a race license ($95).
Thats another $25 on top of what I would have had to pay last year. For which I really don't receive anything more than I did before.

Will bikeNZ scupper the on the day entry's for national MTB races?. I will likely only make to a couple this year. I don't really want to pay an extra $120 to do 2 races on top of the entry fees.

also I'm unsure from the flow diagrams, but if I have a race licence via a mtb club and I wanna go do road nats (perish the thought) or CX nats, or even BMX, does my license cover me for this?
SlackBoy
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 18/Aug/12 7:18am

I can't see them removing the on-the-day option - it's an extra revenue source and attracts more racers.

I'm going to hope the following statement from BikeNZ's wordpress answers your cross code question, even BMX racing which is currently separate.

"In the new membership structure a rider will only join BikeNZ once. When a rider is financial member there are no other costs from BikeNZ, unless a membership upgrade is required. In the case of a membership upgrade the price difference is payable."

The "race" flowchart shows as long as you belong to a teir 1 club your race licence is a race licence across all codes (I'm sure you'll probably still have to join a road club to race road nats though).

*I'm thinking with the growth of CX that CX should be defined in this model
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 18/Aug/12 7:45am

*the "financial detail" table contradicts by separately defining MTB licence, BMX licence, BRT licence in the columns ...???
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby dented on Sat 18/Aug/12 8:06am

CrustyMTB wrote:

IMO

Are they bringing in a geriatric division?
dented
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 18/Aug/12 8:14am

dented wrote:
CrustyMTB wrote:IMO

Are they bringing in a geriatric division?[/quote] :angry:
Only You're intending to race.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 18/Aug/12 8:16am

One of the issues that seems to be in the minds of many commenting, is the lack of clear understanding about what benefits will arise from the BikeNZ proposal on Fees. Should a rider pay them.

Personally, I cannot see any gains. We do not need BikeNZ assistance to build trails around Belmont. In the same way that Makara Peak boys don't in Makara. Preferring to get on with building than talking......

From my club' point of view I can though. Especially with insurance cover, for when we are Trail-building on public land.
However, this can be arranged very easily by the club.

Another issue appears to be, that many mtb riders don't have a lot of confidence in any of the extra funds filtering back towards MTB activity.

Timing wise, with the announcement of the new Velodrome in Waikato, my first thought is a bit cynical when it comes to wondering how this will be paid for.

Seems to be a lot more MTBers than trackies. Which translates into a bigger 'ongoing funding resource ' possibility .

My 2.45 cents worth.
RugbySucks
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Joel on Sat 18/Aug/12 8:44am

the intent is to tap into the big rec rider pool regardless of discipline... for example round Taupo has several thousand riders yet only couple of hundred would belong to a bikenz club.

the playing with the club membership has clouded that issue.. as most existing licensed riders would be resistant to being hit with higher fees.. the future funding stream depends heavily on luring those rec riders into the licensing system. they are likely to be less cynical about where that funding will end up as well.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Mickyfinn on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:07am

why do they need money and where is it going?
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:10am

FWIW, I entered Road Club Nationals on an International MTB license this year... It wasn't easy, but it was possible...
sifter
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby BikeNZ_Membership on Sat 18/Aug/12 9:39am

SlackBoy wrote:So it seems to me that if I want to race national mtb series. i need a club ride trail membership at the very least ($15 to bikenz) plus a race license ($95).
Thats another $25 on top of what I would have had to pay last year. For which I really don't receive anything more than I did before.

Will bikeNZ scupper the on the day entry's for national MTB races?. I will likely only make to a couple this year. I don't really want to pay an extra $120 to do 2 races on top of the entry fees.

also I'm unsure from the flow diagrams, but if I have a race licence via a mtb club and I wanna go do road nats (perish the thought) or CX nats, or even BMX, does my license cover me for this?

Hi SlackBoy, To race the national series you only need a Race - Senior /Master licence $95 + your club membership. Your Race licence allows you to enter any of the codes Club National Champs (MTB, Road, BMX, CX).

The Ride Trail membership is an optional product for recreational riders who want access to the Ride membership benefits including domestic travel insurance, and bike insurance products (amongst others).
BikeNZ_Membership
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts