Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby thekiwi on Wed 21/Nov/12 9:11am

cruiser wrote:to be fair, it's a good price for 80 races

The $115 for Club is a lot up front, but compared to most other clubs its actually relatively cheap.
During the months of Oct-Dec and Feb-March we typically have 2 races each week (Tues twilight and Sat Graded) and for Sept, Jan and March-May we have Sat racing. EAch race is typically part of a 6-12 week series.
None of these races incur an "on the day' cost as many other clubs do (eg some charge up to $25/race). I dont know of may other regions which have so many formally organised Club races which arent dependant on X numbers turning up.

When you add in the costs of running the races (we pay the timekeeper), reimbursing the Marshalls for petrol etc and then giving away Cash and prizes in the thousands for each race series ... as a rider you get a sizeable return on what you pay.

Sure, some clubs cost less but you just get a license and no race entries. Some cost less and you also may not pay much per race, but unless your races are very very heavily sponsored and the club has a nest egg in the 6 figures ... then I'd say your return in cash and prizes would have to be minimal.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Thu 22/May/14 11:36am

Couldn't find another BikeNZ thread, so this might as well go in here... =} http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... al-trouble
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Thu 22/May/14 12:54pm

The report will be interesting reading if/when it makes the light of day.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Thu 22/May/14 1:11pm

Oli wrote:The report will be interesting reading if/when it makes the light of day.

let's hope it is made available. As both a taxpayer and a paid-up member, I feel we should know what's going on.
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Thu 22/May/14 1:40pm

Me also, even though I'm no longer paid up.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Thu 22/May/14 2:27pm

Bikenz does treat those who are paid up with a race license as being little more than a revenue source anyway. the report should be published for the public, given they receive tax payer funding.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 22/May/14 2:59pm

"The news increases pressure on Sport New Zealand boss Peter Miskimmin to release information from a $70,500 report - paid for by taxpayers - into a raft of serious issues inside one of government's biggest Olympic investments."

Miskimmin been umm skimmin $ :ib:

I'm a BNZ member too - I'll like to know where the $ has really gone :hmmm:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby znomit on Thu 22/May/14 3:37pm

Those European doctors don't come cheap, and they don't give receipts.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Thu 22/May/14 9:41pm

Rider x?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 22/May/14 10:23pm

living beyond their means and pushing a couple of poorly thought projects due to being desperate for revenue streams

- trying to find a way to clip an event's ticket via a bikenz endorsement product,

- a membership model that cost a fortune and offers nothing more than a website profile on an average website,

- a coach/club development product that isn't anything better than what google can deliver for free.

- and an expensive move to cambridge - too farkeen close to Hamilton, I say!
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 30/May/14 1:17pm

cruiser wrote: ...
- a membership model that cost a fortune and offers nothing more than a website profile on an average website, ...

Hey, that website is on the balance sheet as a $200,000 asset.

Changes coming:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/10097342/Changes-rung-to-fix-Bike-New-Zealands-books
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts