Re: Bike Nz Membership Update

Postby benw on Wed 29/Aug/12 11:20pm

Colin wrote:
benw wrote:Then it could also have the option of where a person doesn't want to join a club to donate to a national Trail Pass funding pool

Any way to aim this at overseas visitors. Show'n a little appreciation for the single track.

Ric B has got good ideas about using 'channels' like iSites and bike stores to help get non-locals involved...that would be in addition to Clubs being able to sell it to members (and I would personally hope keep 100% of the funds) and national level sponsors kicking in.
benw
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby thekiwi on Mon 19/Nov/12 2:58pm

BikeNZ website has had an update ... pity the same old back office broken processes still exist!!

http://www.bikenz.org.nz/

Dont try and login, cause despite you having a BikeNZ account as well as previous RideStrong memberships ... you wont be able to login.

Dont try Recalling your Password using a valid Email address ... cause it will tell you the Email doesnt exist. But then dont try creating a new account, as then you will be told you already have an account!!!

Has no one at BikeNZ got the abililty to manage any of these projects?!!!
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby SteveC on Mon 19/Nov/12 3:27pm

thekiwi wrote:BikeNZ website has had an update ... pity the same old back office broken processes still exist!!

http://www.bikenz.org.nz/

Dont try and login, cause despite you having a BikeNZ account as well as previous RideStrong memberships ... you wont be able to login.

Dont try Recalling your Password using a valid Email address ... cause it will tell you the Email doesnt exist. But then dont try creating a new account, as then you will be told you already have an account!!!

Has no one at BikeNZ got the abililty to manage any of these projects?!!!

A mail was sent to club admins last Thursday advising of the imminent change and the process for migrating membership accounts - there was supposed to be a mass mail out last night, there could be a holdup in that mass mail out process. The message from bikenz was
Code: Select all
"Emails will be sent to club members on the evening of Sunday the 18th November inviting them to click a personalised link to renew at http://www.bikenz.org.nz.  The personallised link activates their current information that has been moved into the new site, and greatly simplifies renewal into a 5 step process."
SteveC

Postby nzmatto on Tue 20/Nov/12 8:27am

well that answers some questions. I'm a club admin and never got the email, haven't received any of the latter emails either, and have had club members questioning if there's a problem.

Personally, I'll be re-joining my local club (only) for next year. I see zero benefit to being a member of bikenz in any way. The ridestrong membership isn't worth the time taken to fill out the form, and I'm not a racer so have no need for a licence. I pretty much advocate that for others too. It's asad state of affairs, bikenz had a lot of promise when they started ramping things up a few years back, but now, from my point of view I see no purpose to them in the recreational area.
I don't want to take anything away from their high performance program (at least I think it's them), which clearly has resulted in some great results for NZ. Although....even in saying that....anyone yet know where the hell our riders are actually racing (as in a course) for this years nationals? No??? Oh, they're only 4 months late....so far.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Tue 20/Nov/12 9:15am

As a standard member, I received an membership renewal email from Bike NZ yesterday at 4pm.

It appears to work exactly as Steve described.

But, for me it defaulted through to a Race - senior licence ($85). Previously I had a centre licence($40?) and it looks to me that a Club licence ($40) is equivalent to the old centre licence?
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby thekiwi on Tue 20/Nov/12 2:25pm

Yea not sure either.

Ive had a National LIcence until now but from the comparison table Im not sure where Club Nationals fits in.

'Can enter Road Club Racing' has a tick for both Race and Ride licences
'Can enter MTB Club Racing' has a tick for both Race and Ride licences
'Can enter National MTB Cup races" has a tick for Race

and other than that there is no stated difference.

ie there is no "Club National Road" example/comparison.
thekiwi
"A bad day of riding beats a good day at the office"

Postby SteveC on Tue 20/Nov/12 5:23pm

There used to be 'club', 'centre', 'national' and 'elite' licence types.

Now there is 'ride', 'race', and 'elite' licence types.

If you only want to do club racing at any club in NZ then go for a 'ride' licence. This allows you to race in your own club (obviously) and at any other club in NZ as a visitor.

If you want to compete at your centre champs or the club road national champs then go for a 'race' licence.

It is actually simpler that before.
SteveC

Postby Kiwicyclo on Tue 20/Nov/12 5:26pm

$200..... Wow! $115 for club and $85 for bikeNz...... Heaps for an organisation that can only be described as a complete clusterfcuk at club, centre and national levels!

Certainly wont be joining the que to renew right away....... :cool:
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 20/Nov/12 5:51pm

$115 for club? Join another club.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby johnL on Tue 20/Nov/12 7:33pm

cruiser wrote:$115 for club? Join another club.

wot he said Ouch
our club is only $20 + bikeNZ (what ever level you pick)
I hope you get a lot for $150. Or are your committee paid?
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Tue 20/Nov/12 8:14pm

johnL wrote:
cruiser wrote:$115 for club? Join another club.

wot he said Ouch
our club is only $20 + bikeNZ (what ever level you pick)
I hope you get a lot for $150. Or are your committee paid?

Committee not paid . . . . .

We do not pay to race on a per race basis either, probably race 80 races per year Tuesdays and Saturdays . . .
Kiwicyclo
"Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded."

Postby johnL on Tue 20/Nov/12 8:19pm

neither do we! maybe we should put our club fee up but I think we would watch the members leave in droves
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 20/Nov/12 8:43pm

to be fair, it's a good price for 80 races
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Kiwicyclo on Tue 20/Nov/12 9:20pm

cruiser wrote:to be fair, it's a good price for 80 races

Yes it is AND prize givings 3 times a year at a cost of $3000 + each mean there is some ok return on the time on the road.

I was more pointing to the $85.00 for BikeNZ being an issue.

We also get to race with variety, not like a lot of other major NZ cities with huge clubs and low participation.
Kiwicyclo

Postby bmack on Tue 20/Nov/12 9:59pm

Hi There, After riding the new single track near the Crocodile and talking to a guy working on it, I went home and joined the Christchurch Singletrack Club (back in September). This was more of a donation for the good work these guys do. I ride the tracks around Canterbury mainly and have been to Rotorua and Aussie as well. My mates and I enter competions like the Hawea Epic, 6 Hour, Karapoti, etc..... Today I received an email from Bikenz asking me to renew my club and Bikenz membership, and after clicking on the link it sent you to a menu of memberships.

My questions are - Why or do I need to pay for this membership and if I don't what will happen ?
- Will it effect any of races mentioned above ?
Cheers
bmack
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts