Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby gumby on Sun 27/Apr/14 9:21am

Oli wrote:This is the answer. :thumbsup:

40T top ring, 10T difference and 18T capacity on the triple, hobbled again.
gumby
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Sun 27/Apr/14 11:19am

I meant it's the answer for normal applications.
Oli
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby foremannz on Sun 27/Apr/14 8:14pm

I got a Q. I need start off tire pressures for my full shock bike (SC Superlight 29).

Rider: 104kg
Front: Conti X King 29x2.2
Rear: Conti Mt King 29x2.2
Both are tubed on narrow rims.

I'm thinking of starting at 45f 50r ...
foremannz
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 27/Apr/14 9:05pm

why dont Contis mount on my Blunt 35 rim properly, but Maxxis do?
it's like the Contis (both Der Baron AND Diesel) just cannot seat properly. end up with a portion of tire that is lower than the rest and so the wheel is bulged the rest of the way round. bloody annoying.

any tips?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Sun 27/Apr/14 9:17pm

foremannz wrote:I got a Q. I need start off tire pressures for my full shock bike (SC Superlight 29).

Rider: 104kg
Front: Conti X King 29x2.2
Rear: Conti Mt King 29x2.2
Both are tubed on narrow rims.

I'm thinking of starting at 45f 50r ...

45/50 sounds waaaaaaay too much for any kind of off road riding - will be sketchy as hell.
I'd be saying start at 30-35psi max and see how that goes. If you struggle with pinch flats at that sort of pressure I'd seriously recommend going tubeless.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby el_booto on Sun 27/Apr/14 11:20pm

swtchbckr wrote:why dont Contis mount on my Blunt 35 rim properly, but Maxxis do?
it's like the Contis (both Der Baron AND Diesel) just cannot seat properly. end up with a portion of tire that is lower than the rest and so the wheel is bulged the rest of the way round. bloody annoying.

any tips?

When you brought the Cotic in to do the forks etc after I built the wheel for you I had to take the tyre off the rim to get rid of a wee hop over the join

I had the same issue, I think I put some soapy water around the bead and it popped in like a tubeless tyre

Have you given that a go :eh:
I find that contis have a tighter bead fit than Maxxis, especially their wire bead offerings
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 4/May/14 8:56am

Anyone here know much about Manitou fork servicing? About time to do a lowers service on the forks on the Mrs' bike, they are 2011 Minutes. Have found a manual, but it doesn't tell me what weight oil to use in the lowers, just the volume. Also, makes no mention of anything like crush washers on a Rockshox fork on the bolts that hold the lowers on. How are they sealed to stop oil coming out here? Will prob just grab some Enduro seals from Shockcraft as Cyclesport aren't doing Manitou/Hayes anymore...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 19 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 4/May/14 9:11am

I'd hit Dougal up with those questions whilst you are grabbing some seals from him
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 20 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 4/May/14 9:24am

wachtourak wrote:Anyone here know much about Manitou fork servicing? About time to do a lowers service on the forks on the Mrs' bike, they are 2011 Minutes. Have found a manual, but it doesn't tell me what weight oil to use in the lowers, just the volume. Also, makes no mention of anything like crush washers on a Rockshox fork on the bolts that hold the lowers on. How are they sealed to stop oil coming out here Will prob just grab some Enduro seals from Shockcraft as Cyclesport aren't doing Manitou/Hayes anymore...

a nice light weight engine oil will do the trick maing, and the bottom bolts on manipoos have seals on them
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Sun 4/May/14 11:25am

el_booto wrote:I had the same issue, I think I put some soapy water around the bead and it popped in like a tubeless tyre

I find Manuka honey works great for mounting stubborn tyres.
znomit
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sun 4/May/14 11:41am

I used to work with all sorts of tyres. Earthmover, truck, Car, Motorbike, etc...
Dealing with Tubeless tyres on the Alloy front wheels of an Oil Tanker(15R22.5), when they first came out around 30 years ago, taught me a few things about mounting up tubeless tyres properly.

Whenever I have a tyre that is super tight fitting, I use 50/50 mix of dishwash liquid and water, as a mounting lubricant.

Once the bead on any MTB tyre has 'popped in to place', I find it is also less likely to dismount, when running lower pressures also.
I don't know how many people check "trim Lines" on tyres, when the are fitting them. Trim lines are a very good indicator of how well a tyre being fitted, is hooking itself up into the rim evenly.
RugbySucks
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 4/May/14 11:45am

znomit wrote:
el_booto wrote:I had the same issue, I think I put some soapy water around the bead and it popped in like a tubeless tyre

marmite works better, slippery for fitting, then dries tacky/hard for sealing the bead, and its black to match your tyres. Added bonus that bees don't chase you down the track :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby el_booto on Sun 4/May/14 1:30pm

And keeps the sandflies at bay
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Mon 5/May/14 10:25am

slidecontrol wrote:
znomit wrote:

marmite works better, slippery for fitting, then dries tacky/hard for sealing the bead, and its black to match your tyres. Added bonus that bees don't chase you down the track :thumbsup:
I have found vegemite also works, and it tastes better.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 8/May/14 11:15pm

if someone would be able to confirm for me I'd appreciate it . . .
cx cranks 46/36
If i want to use 11-34 cassette >>total capacity needed is 33 so i need an sgs/long cage mtb derailleur thinking 786 shadow+
am i right?

ta
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts